Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31347
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 7:30pm

Topic: 85 SN 2001 My first time out - kinda slow
Posted By: chuckactor
Subject: 85 SN 2001 My first time out - kinda slow
Date Posted: August-27-2013 at 4:29pm
I just picked up an 85 SN 2001. It has a 351W in it with 882 hours. I bought the boat cheap and didn't even get a chance to start the motor.

Last night I finally got the battery charged and started it up in the driveway. Yes, I had the raw water pump inlet in a 5-gallon bucket. The motor actually sounded nice and idled well.

I quickly decided to dump it in the water and see if it actually ran. So off to the reservoir with expired tags, expired registration, no safety gear and a host of potential other violations. Luckily it was a Monday night and it was quiet on the lake.

The boat was running good and felt strong. My guess is it hasn't had a tuneup in 2-3 years. My question is the speed. My altitude is 5,400'. The boat came from Texas. At altitude it would only pull 4k RPM and 38mph according to the one working speedo. Sorry I don't know the prop that's on it but assume it's stock.

I was expecting 4500 RPM or more. Do you think it's in need of a tuneup or could the altitude be sucking the power out of it? Should I be jetting different for high altitude?

Thanks!
Chuck

Replies:
Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: August-27-2013 at 4:52pm
The answer to your altitude question is yes... there is less oxygen in the air when you are more than 1 mile up from sea level.   adjust your mixture both high and idle, and try again...   I would say it's really not a good idea to be in a boat that you haven't had in the water without at least having some safety gear with you! Take a life jacket with you, and a fire extinguisher for the basics... the registration isn't going to kill you, but an onboard fire without an extinguisher or a life jacket will... welcome to the forum!

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-27-2013 at 4:52pm
To get a decent performance baseline, you need to fill in the blanks:

1. What prop is currently installed?
2. What are your WOT rpm's?
3. What is your top end speed?

#2 and 3 require accurate information- verifying the original tach is a good idea, and verify speed with a GPS (a handeld garmin or similar, not a cell phone app).

-------------

Posted By: chuckactor
Date Posted: September-23-2013 at 3:08am
I think I found some of my problems. Even though the boat felt real strong and ran well, it is outta whack. I was just playing around and I decided to check the idle mixture while I was warming the engine up. One side was 1 turn out and the other was three and a half turns. I set both at 1.5 turns and tried that. A little more tinkering and I settled on 1-3/4 turns out. Now that the engine was warmed up and the idle speed set I figured I'd check the timing.

I have all the original records from the boat and I noticed a receipt from 1999 that said the distributor was frozen. A quick look at the base of the distributer showed there was no way it was going to move without breaking. The metal is so corroded and eaten away, I'm surprised it's still there. Obviously the dealer felt there wasn't anyway they were going to move it without breaking it.

Anyway.. I got out the timing light to see where the timing was. And of course.. it was way off. I was reading about 22 degrees. Luckily I picked up a like new Mallory YL554CV distributor figuring I'd destroy mine on removal. I ran across this thread and it pretty much sums up my dilemma:

%20" rel="nofollow - http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54154

One more winter project.

Chuck

Print Page | Close Window