Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31591
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 7:25pm

Topic: Holman Moody Cooling Diagram
Posted By: boatman77
Subject: Holman Moody Cooling Diagram
Date Posted: September-18-2013 at 8:26pm
Does anybody have a diagram/ schematic of the HM cooling system. I am going to try to use a similar system on a 289 going into my Mustang. I like the idea of no Circ. Pump. Even some good photos would help. I have seen the system ,but I did not take photos. Thanks Curt

-------------
2003 196 sold

1969 Mustang "under reconstruction"
1976 20'Shamrock CC

1989 26' Shamrock Hardtrop
1989 Brendella Short Line Comp sold

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-18-2013 at 10:15pm
This is the best I have right now-
You do know that later HM's had circulation pumps

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:05pm
Gary, you must have been best engine runner up for the last several years. ;(

-------------

Date Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:43pm
Gary, No I did not know later ones had circulation pumps. I really like the how simple this design is, It seems to work. Are there any issues with this design? Is there a thermostat in there? Any sort of bypass? Really pretty engine.

-------------
2003 196 sold

1976 20'Shamrock CC

Posted By: ArtCozier
Date Posted: September-18-2013 at 11:58pm
I have a photo of a HM on the front of an owners manual, and it does have a circ pump on it. I can see that there is a hose going from the lower t-stat housing to the raw water pump, and it also has the large J-tube from the t-stat housing to the bottom of the circ pump like a PCM. I can't see how they get the water into two inlets at the front of the block. This engine looks like a 289/302, but I can't tell for 100% sure. It has the outlet hoses going from the upper t-stat to the front of the manifolds, similar to a PCM Ford. What I can't tell is whether there are any hoses going into the rear of the manifolds. I also remember that the 351s and 302s were plumbed differently. Gary, yours is a 289/302, right? Sure is purty, BTW. Nice job!!

I have heard from at least three sources that Lee Holman (the son) is in the custom engine business in Charlotte. I'm willing to bet that if that is fact, he has some old manuals.

Interceptor 292s and 312s didn't have circ pumps either; instead they had a double-pocket raw water pump like Chryslers.    

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 12:00am
Thanks HW. I only really finished this spring,I painted the manifolds and alternator finally.
Curt there is a 140 thermostat in the normal Ford position. The only "problem" is that it tends to run cool,rarely getting to 120.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 12:24am
Gary, Are there bypass holes in that thermostat?   Without them I can't see how the water circulates when the thermostat is closed.
I was looking at a PCM raw water T stat housing today. There is a bypass hole, about 3/8" leading basically from the raw water pump to the manifolds.

-------------
2003 196 sold

1976 20'Shamrock CC

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 12:52am
Thanks Art. I was able to get a manual from marineengine.com If you have the money Art,Lee will build it! I read in a Holman Moody book that he was the one behind the marine business. Mine started out as a 289 but somewhere in it's life the block was replaced with a 302. The only issue that I have heard about is the amount of work involved if the alternator belt breaks when your out. Some Donzi guy's cable tie another belt around the pump and starboard mounting studs so it's ready to slip on when needed. I suppose thats why HM may have gone to a 2 belt system when they went with a circulation pump.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 12:56am
I will have to check but I think the bypass is like a normal Ford,cast into the thermostat cover

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 2:16pm
[QUOTE=Gary S] Thanks Art. I was able to get a manual from marineengine.com If you have the money Art,Lee will build it!QUOTE]

Gary, you probably have already experienced this, but I thought I would mention it for other's benefit as well. Some of those engines have a very special starter. It must have been a Ford item at one time, but when we were working on HMs a lot, occasionally a customer would come it who had gone and swapped out a starter with the local auto parts store. Not only did it turn the wrong way, but the drive gear wouldn't engage the flywheel properly.

The only way we could come up with a replacement starter was to take the body from one starter and use a nose piece from a different Ford starter. I think it was a shorter nose. A complete starter from either model wouldn't work.

So if anyone with a HM has starter troubles, be aware and compare carefully before you swap. Better yet, tag yours clearly and have it rebuilt.     

Art

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 2:36pm
I did not know that until you mentioned it the last time Art. Luckily I can can get them rebuilt here relatively cheap and that at the time is what I did not knowing any better

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 3:15pm
I noticed the manifolds were finally painted but not the alternator. When are you hosting your mini?

-------------

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 3:30pm
I would in a minute but for 2 reasons- the stupid waterway sticker and there is absolutely 0 room for anybody elses boats

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: vondy
Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 5:59pm
I tried to put on a starter from a 302 and it did not fit, was too long. Ended up having mine rebuilt.

There is a bypass in the thermostat housing, don't know if it's standard Ford as it has a HM stamped into it.

Here's how the water flows.

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4645&sort=&pagenum=1 - 69 Mustang HM

Date Posted: September-19-2013 at 7:46pm
Hey, you H & M fans..... I was looking for something else today and I encountered four OEM "Hold 'em & Monkey" (as we used to call it) decals.... the 5-3/4" round ones that read "Powered by holman moody" and have the eagle with "Competition Proven" superimposed.

Now, they are peel-and-stick, so I don't know whether the "stick" part is going to work after all of these years. I did pull up an edge of the backing paper, and it does come off.

Are they worth 5 bucks apiece including postage??

Art

-------------
"Art"

Print Page | Close Window