Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31607
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 5:14pm

Topic: electrical problem on 1991 with 351 ford engine
Posted By: Keefers
Subject: electrical problem on 1991 with 351 ford engine
Date Posted: September-22-2013 at 7:03am
does anybody have an electrical drawing of the dash wiring for a 91 nautique ? i am having electrical problems. i have 12v on the red wire at the dash, but the volt light is on. the volts do drop by 2 or 3 tenths of a volt at the switch,so i think that is ok? the alt. is rebuilt and charging. also, when i turn on my navigation lights the voltage drops to 11 volts, and then my perfect pass starts acting flaky. what would cause the volts to drop like that? there is a diode connected to the navigation lights but one side is not connected. i need to know how the diode is supposed to be connected. there is also a little black box mounted under the dash with wires going to it. does anybody know what that is and have a wiring diagram for that?

thanks, Keefers

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-22-2013 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Keefers Keefers wrote:

the volts do drop by 2 or 3 tenths of a volt at the switch,so i think that is ok? the alt. is rebuilt and charging. also, when i turn on my navigation lights the voltage drops to 11 volts, and then my perfect pass starts acting flaky. what would cause the volts to drop like that?

thanks, Keefers

The basic answer is undersized wire. There are several great threads on up sizing the wire. If you can't find them after doing a search, get back to us and I or one of our members can provide some links. Did you look at the FAQ thread?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: ArtCozier
Date Posted: September-23-2013 at 12:25pm
Look at the controller for the Temp-Oil-Volt lights. If you look at it so that the plug is at top, are there three little dots of silicone near the bottom? Those are trigger-level adjustments. If that is the type of controller you have, get back to me and I might be able to help you.
Art

-------------
"Art"

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-23-2013 at 12:43pm

...also, when i turn on my navigation lights the voltage drops to 11 volts, and then my perfect pass starts acting flaky.

Yup, Perfect Pass hates low voltage. When you get your wiring beefed up, this problem should fix itself.

...there is a diode connected to the navigation lights but one side is not connected. i need to know how the diode is supposed to be connected.

It should be connected to the output side of both the Nav and the anchor light switch. But, it needs to be facing the right way, you'll have try both ways because I don't think there is any way to tell externally.

What this diode basically does, it's like a one way valve. So, when you turn the navigation lights on, it allows voltage to also flow to the anchor lights, which are really on a separate circuit, and bridges the circuits. But, when the anchor lights are on, it does NOT allow voltage to go the other way to the Nav lights. Now, you can do without this diode, but, all it means is when you turn on your Nav lights, you'll have to also flip on the anchor (stern) light manually.

Here is the FAQ thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27356" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27356

Here is my thread on adding a new ground and a new positive as well:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21901&title=added-new-dash-ground-to-93-with-pics" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21901&title=added-new-dash-ground-to-93-with-pics

Date Posted: September-27-2013 at 5:40pm
hi, i want to thank everyone for helping me out. i didn't change the wiring, but i did change and sandpaper the terminals at the start switch and the boat is now showing 13 volts at the volt gauge in the dash. there are some flaky things still going on but i am happy with the results for now. i also wired the diode back in. the anode (arrow side) goes to the navigation lights and the cathode (line side) goes to the anchor lights

keefers

Date Posted: September-30-2013 at 12:33pm
yes, that is the type of controller i have. thanks for the info.

from left to right,with the plug above, do u know what screw controls what function? and should i mess with them?

Date Posted: September-30-2013 at 3:12pm
The plug that I'm referring to is on a flat plastic "box" that is about 3" X 4" X 3/4" and has a whole bunch of wires in it. The "box" will have three "dots" of silicone seal on the same side as the plug. Is that the type of fault reporting box that you have in your boat? It was usually fastened to the underside of the dash panel.

-------------
"Art"

Date Posted: September-30-2013 at 8:30pm
yes, that is what i have

Date Posted: September-30-2013 at 10:24pm
Good. If you view the box so that the plug is toward you and at the top, the three dots of silicone under it cover the three adjustment screws. The order from left to right is Temperature -- Oil Pressure -- Voltage. You will need a jeweler's type screwdriver with a blade about 1/16" wide. Pierce it through the silicone and "feel" for the slot in the screw. Before you turn the screw, remember this: The adjustment is very sensitive. A very slight turn of the screw will produce a large difference in the level at which it triggers the light.

-------------
"Art"

Print Page | Close Window