Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31725
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 5:21pm

Topic: Reverse Rotation Distributor Gear
Posted By: chuckactor
Subject: Reverse Rotation Distributor Gear
Date Posted: October-07-2013 at 1:28am
The original Prestolite distributor is stuck in the block of my 85 SN 2001. I actually have all the original receipts for the boat and it's been stuck in there at least since 1999. I threw a timing light on it the other day and it's about 12 degrees advanced from where it should be.

Since the original distributor is heavily corroded I am assuming about a 99% change of the housing breaking when I try to remove it. I bought a new Mallory to replace it with. The Mallory has a standard gear on it an I assume the Prestolite has the reverse gear. Does anyone know if the Prestolite gear will fit on the Mallory distributor? If so, any tips or tricks to swap them?

BTW the teeth on the Mallory distributor are angled like this:

|   |
      |   |
     -------
    ////////
     -------
       | |

Thanks,
Chuck

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-07-2013 at 9:56am
Chuck, youre correct that the Mallory has a standard rotation gear on it. A reverse rotation gear is cut \\\\.

I dont know offhand if the Mallory and Prestolite gears can be swapped... Ive only swapped gears between like branded distributors. Perhaps if you measure the OD of the shaft on your Mallory, someone can measure their Prestolite for you. If it wont swap, I believe Mallory sells the reverse cut gears.

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: October-07-2013 at 6:43pm
Mic up the shaft there are two different diameters .491 and .500

Print Page | Close Window