Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33235
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 3:20pm

Topic: 351 PCM Windsor Rebuild
Posted By: repip_piper
Subject: 351 PCM Windsor Rebuild
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 1:48am
Hi All, I have a 88 Ski Nautique w/a seized block from over heating. I want to pull it and rebuild the engine. Where do I disconnect it from the transmission? This will be my first engine rebuild.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 1:53am
Similar to a car,you can remove it from the bell housing or you can leave it on and remove the housing complete

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 9:53am
I found it's easier to pull the motor and transmission all at the same time just disconnect it at the shaft.
Then once it's out of the boat take it apart then it's a lot easier to get at all the housing bolts.

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 10:29am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

I found it's easier to pull the motor and transmission all at the same time just disconnect it at the shaft.
Then once it's out of the boat take it apart then it's a lot easier to get at all the housing bolts.

+1 Much easier, and I am sure you will want to clean and paint tranny? Bilge?

-------------
Js

Posted By: ny_nautique
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 12:22pm
I agree with removing them both at the same time.

Have some 6x6s or a cradle built to place it on. Then you can remove the tranny and get to work.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 1:10pm

+2. I don't understand why anyone would leave a transmission in a boat when pulling the engine. It takes half the time to pull it and then again half the time/headache to pull the transmission while it's on the ground/engine hoist.

-------------

Posted By: pholman59
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 1:24pm
We just unbolted all four engine mounts from the boat at a friends shop who had a big a frame. Disconnected it at the drive shaft. Lifted it out and put it in my truck on a 4x4 frame. It was very easy to measure the rectangular frame the engine mounts bolt to and make the wood frame before hand.

Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 1:27pm
And Vern, if your exhaust headers have rusted bolts, be prepared for this:

The http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24842" rel="nofollow - exhaust header thread.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: pholman59
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 6:35pm
Don't let NY scare you. That might happen. But my boat was a salt water for at least 8 years and had seized. My manifolds came right off without any problem. The seized pistons, not so much!

Posted By: 74Wind
Date Posted: April-03-2014 at 8:06pm
+1 on manifold bolts comment. Whilst repairing a cracked manifold, my bolts came loose pretty easily, and there was no indication that they had ever been off since 1974.

Of course I didn't try the other side...

-------------
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Posted By: Kristof
Date Posted: April-04-2014 at 6:15am
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

And Vern, if your exhaust headers have rusted bolts, be prepared for this:

Yup... Happened to mee three weeks ago. This process involved lots of swearing, busted drill bits and thread tapping as you can see http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19884&PID=427067&title=whats-on-my-agenda-from-now-till-next-season#427067" rel="nofollow - here ...

But, we got it fixed. Redneck style nonetheless, because, due to a lack of US thread taps in my uncle's shop, my 351 now has 15 US threaded bolts and 1 metric threaded bolt in it...

-------------
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 1:06am
Ouch grinding next to the truck that can be tough on the paint

Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 7:04pm
Thanks all for the tips. The tranny is in good shape and I was going to leave it in. But if it's easier to take them out at the same time then that's what I'll do (once I locate the driveshaft). Where on the engine do I chain it?

Also a typical car hoist won't reach over the boat. How have you guys hoist the engine & tranny out?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 8:23pm

Paul,
I did some spray painting close to the truck one day and didn't realize the wind direction. Now I have a white speckled finish on the truck hood and left front quarter panel. Thankfully it's a old 95 so it really doesn't matter!    

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Paul,
I did some spray painting close to the truck one day and didn't realize the wind direction. Now I have a white speckled finish on the truck hood and left front quarter panel. Thankfully it's a old 95 so it really doesn't matter!    

A clay bar would take that overspray off pretty easily.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 9:05pm
Sometimes you have to be creative, if the hoist has the reach then you can take the tires off the trailer to get the height, otherwise you need an A frame or a good tree.

Posted By: gR@HaM
Date Posted: April-05-2014 at 9:16pm
I had major issues with a neighbour two houses down from me for that very reason after redoing the gel on mine. I spent a long time compounding his car and ended up paying for a professional detailer to fix it at my local spray shop. He did a great job, but it turned out my neighbour still wasn't happy, in the end he was being an unreasonable di**head and has since moved house. Thank God

-------------
'82 Ski Tique

Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 12:17am
Just a follow up question. How do I disconnect the Invertaflow fiberglass monster that is above the tranny?

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 3:08am
I loosen the hose clamps and use a large flat head screwdriver to seep rate the hose from the muffler. If you pry it back a little and squirt some soapy water in the space it will eventually act like penetrating lube. It's a fight and sometimes it takes some work to get it loose.

Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 9:12am

It really wasn't as close as the picture makes it seem.

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Print Page | Close Window