Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33276
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 3:28pm

Topic: 1989 ski nautique rebuild
Posted By: mjstonework122@hotma
Subject: 1989 ski nautique rebuild
Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 3:05pm
im looking to rebuild a ford 351w and i'm trying to find the right place to buy parts for the rebuild. any leads?   (1989 ski nautique, last year for the 2001) also i have honing questions? anyone have experience??

Replies:
Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 4:41pm
When you say rebuild, do you mean freshen up or full rebuild.
If you are just re ringing, bearings and gaskets you can buy those parts most anywhere and some of the large internet sites do have very competitive prices. Summit, Jegs, EPW.

If you need rebuilding done, boring and honing the cylinders and maybe grinding your crankshaft you are better served normally to find a very good machine shop in your local area. Ask around and make sure you have good feedback from real users of the shop you choose.
The machine shop will give you a better deal on the machine work if they supply the parts so your package price will be better if they supply the parts, or it may be a little higher but the key important part of them ordering is they have to stand behind what they sell you.
The pistons/rings/bearings will fit or they will fix it no charge.
If you mail order and the pistons are the wrong size the bill is on you to get the right parts. Freight can eat you up if there is any mistake at all and you loose a lot of time.
Good references are important.
To build a high quality engine the shop needs the pistons on hand as they finish hone to get the oversize exactly correct. Like it or not pistons will very slightly from one box to another.
Sealed Power supplies Original Equipment quality parts I would trust, the brand you choose may or may not equal OE quality.
If it helps brands I trust, Fel Pro gaskets, Clevite or Federal-Mogul/Sealed Power Bearings, Sealed Power Rings, Sealed Power, Mahle or Silvolite for pisotns, Sealed Power, Crane or Competition Cams for Camshafts. Melling or Sealed Power for Oil Pumps.
Hope this helps and this is just one guys opinion.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-06-2014 at 4:57pm
Mike,
Yes, give us some more detail than just "rebuild". What did the compression test and leak down test tell you? Honing is not a rebuild. How bad is the ring ridge at the top of the cylinders?

Welcome to CCfan but remember, we always ask for pictures!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 12:43am
Ok, so the engine was ran low on oil and spun a rod bearing. Im having the crank grinded and the rod on the bering that spun needs work as well. im reusing the pistons but would like to get new rings which is why i need to hone the cylinder (so they seat properly). as far as compression goes one cylinder had 120 and the worst was 103. unfortunately i didn't do a leak down test. The pistons came out fairly easy and the rim and the cylinders didn't look to bad either. im trying to do almost everything myself right now because money is so tight.. the rebuild shop recommended i replace the cam as well so need to find the reverse rotation cam for the best deal possible. Thanks for all the input

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 2:52am
Isn't an 89 the first year of the std rotation engine?   It'd be good if you posted some trans info so we could help you confirm the correct rotation.   As far as a hone and go, it may work, but may give you undesired results as well. Make sure you can measure the Clyinder bores accurately, and give some good thought to the fact thet this may be just a bandaid fix before you proceed.   Welcome to the site!

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 5:34am
Old school training said to always hone so the rings can seat.
Modern rings can seat on a very smooth surface. They don't need a new hone unless you have damaged the cylinder in some way.
Even GM has a tech bulletin out saying the cylinders do not need to be honed on a rebuild unless there is damage.
Even in 89 your engine should have had Moly top rings, these do not wear the cylinder like the old school cast rings and they seal on a very smooth cylinder. If your cylinders are damaged they need fixed, maybe even bored oversize, if the old cross hatch is visible and not damaged re ring with moly top rings and build your engine with no hone. Modern rings like a very smooth cylinder and will seat fine.
How many hours are on this engine? If the cam and lifters are smooth and clean they may be fine but would need to run again on the EXACT same lobes they came off of. Lifters once broken in to a lobe need to stay there if you plan to re use if you mixed your lifters when you removed them they can't be re used. The rod bearing farthest from the oil pump fails first if you have oil starvation, the rest of the engine might be fine or similarly damaged depending on the amount of oil starvation that occurred. Assess your parts and then make decisions.

Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 12:56pm
Well it shredded the bering and I found that when that happens replacing the lifters is a must. I would love to keep the cam but it does have signs of wear and thats probably a corner I shouldn't cut. Any leads on cams? I definitely need one and yes its definitely reverse rotation (i bought a new prop last year). It is the first year for the gear reduction trans though. Is it a good idea right now also to replace the water pump (Reverse rotation?) . its at 1100 hours. Thanks for the tip on rings.

whats the difference in marine gaskets?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 12:59pm
If you have the 1.23 reduction transmission then you do not have a reverse rotation engine.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 1:43pm
I re used my cam and lifters at 824 hours. It's somewhere north of 1500 hours now. Your cam will be cheap and easy to replace as Tim stated above it is a standard rotation engine (89 received the 1.23:1 PCM transmission). Confirm that and there is your rotation answer.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2014 at 4:17pm
Thanks for the help guys i've just found out that my engine is standard rotation. Its the 1.23:1 which rotates right hand at the prop not the engine. Anyway that makes everything much cheaper thanks again for clearing that up. I could have made an expensive mistake.

Date Posted: April-08-2014 at 9:50am
so should i be looking for just a normal truck cam or one with extra low end umph power? like this.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-351-5-8L-Windsor-448-472-HP-Cam-CAMSHAFT-LIFTERS-/120942926620?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c28c29b1c&vxp=mtr

Print Page | Close Window