Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33305
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 12:51pm

Topic: water in cylinders
Posted By: osur258
Subject: water in cylinders
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 10:55pm
changed my starter and tried to start the motor for the first time this season. I have a 1974 Mustang with a 350 v-8, had fire at plugs but engine would not start. when I checked the plugs had water droplets on plugs. After I dried the plugs and tried to start the engine with no success, I checked the plugs and wet again, and had more tan a little water in two of the cylinders one on each side of the motor. Question: Could using a garden hose connected to the intake and the engine not starting cause water to go into the cylinders? Oil looks clear with no sign of water in oil. checkedmy clyinders

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Replies:
Posted By: jtryon
Date Posted: April-09-2014 at 11:01pm
you're pushing water through the motor while trying to start it versus using the bucket method?

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 12:58am
Sounds like you put on an LH starter & now the engine is turning LH not RH like it needs to.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:18am
yes

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 8:29am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Sounds like you put on an LH starter & now the engine is turning LH not RH like it needs to.

+1 Did you check the rotation? Do not buy a starter from the local auto supply especially Autozone!
Welcome to CCfan. We need pictures!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 9:49am
Need more info, mustangs never came with a 350 v8 so we dont know what you're working with here

-------------
Brian

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:26pm
Will check rotation after work today.   I got the starter from Napa they said it was a marine starter, it had a different bolt pattern but I had the mounting holes to match. I could not get the starter on so I had a friend change the "nose" from the old starter to the new one and installed it

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:40pm
I bought my boat cheap because someone did the exact same thing.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 3:31pm
And the moral of this story is ---- have yours rebuilt

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 3:36pm
Gary is a wise man.

-------------

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

And the moral of this story is ---- have yours rebuilt

Or buy a new one from a reputable marine distributor that knows enough to ask the right questions even if you don't.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 4:53pm
Haha good idea Eddie.

-------------

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 4:56pm
Trouble is Eddie there are a lot of engines out of production, there aren't many to ask. Right now only Art and Woody know what is needed for a Holman Moody starter. It seems there is no off the shelf starter that fits

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 5:34pm
Lies!!! I sourced a HM starter as well when Dave needed one.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Lies!!! I sourced a HM starter as well when Dave needed one.

Post up the info Zach! I was secretly hoping that there was an off the shelf H-M starter and we just needed to figure out what it was.

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Trouble is Eddie there are a lot of engines out of production, there aren't many to ask. Right now only Art and Woody know what is needed for a Holman Moody starter. It seems there is no off the shelf starter that fits

I agree Gary if someone is lookimng for an out of production starter.

In this case a 350 SBC is very common and can have a couple different starters in each rotation. Especially if it's in a boat that didn't have that engine option to begin with.
The very first question out of the sales persons mouth should have been RH or LH? Then a second question might have been top mount or bottom mount? That would have at least alerted the OP to do a little more research if he didn't know the answers before buying. I guaranty buying from someplace like SKIDIM or Zach will get these questions every time.

Now having a different nose cone and then swapping them out is a "shame on him". That should have raised a red flag immediately but I won't go there. Learn from it Grasshopper.
As a last resort, removing the starter and taking it along with him might have been a novel concept but a complete moron behind the counter could still screw that up.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 8:12pm
thanks for your help The OMC model number is 990311R1 the engine is stamped GM 8970C14 When my son bought the boat he was told it was a 1974 Mustang with a 350 motor. Any help to find out the correct info is greatly appreciated. I checked the engine rotation and facing the front of the motor it rotates clockwise so I assume the started is turning correctly.   

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 8:32pm
Correction engine is stamped with numbers 3970014

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by osur258 osur258 wrote:

I checked the engine rotation and facing the front of the motor it rotates clockwise so I assume the started is turning correctly.   

You assume wrong.

Posted By: mark c
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 9:47pm
That's a 1974 220HP RH rotation engine (cars are LH). The R in the 990311R1 model number gives it away.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by osur258 osur258 wrote:

thanks for your help The OMC model number is 990311R1 the engine is stamped GM 8970C14 When my son bought the boat he was told it was a 1974 Mustang with a 350 motor. Any help to find out the correct info is greatly appreciated. I checked the engine rotation and facing the front of the motor it rotates clockwise so I assume the started is turning correctly.   

David,
We sure need more information! The "R" in the OMC model # indicates a RH engine however facing the front of the engine a RH should turn counter clockwise so you assume incorrectly. The prop on a RH engine viewed from the aft of the boat will turn clockwise. Maybe it's the wrong rotation starter you have? Post a picture of the prop that's on the boat.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 10:11pm
According to this site, it is a 225hp model. I think '74 predates the 305 so it's probably a 307.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/engine-model-guides/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide-00073.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.marineengine.com/parts/engine-model-guides/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide/omc-johnson-evinrude-model-number-guide-00073.html

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:43pm
FINALLY found registration, it says 1975 correct craft, 16' Chevrolet W270273 i attached photo of prop and viewing prop from aft it rotates counter clockwise

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Posted By: mark c
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:43pm
The 3970014 casting number indicates its a 350 block. That casting number was used by GM from late 1969 to 1979 and came in both 2 bolt and 4 bolt main configurations. 307s had a cylinder bore of 3.875" while 350s have a 4.00" bore. Don't think that casting was ever used for anything smaller than a 350ci engine. Must be a RH rotation 350ci 225HP engine.

Picture says that's a RH rotation prop. Should be rotating clockwise standing behind the boat looking forward with the transmission in forward.

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:55pm
post a ton of pics...motor, boat etc...pics pics pics.

-------------
This is the life

Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:58pm
If it's a 350 block, $5 says it's not the original. The 305/307 and 302 were the options for the M17, and that lines up with the 225hp rating. The 350 option was higher (250-260, iirc). Someone could have dropped in a 350 block pretty easily an kept the original OMC engine tag.

If the engine that's in the boat ever pushed it under power, then it has to be reverse rotation and you've got a LH starter trying to spin it backwards. If someone installed a LH 350 and never got the boat running/driving again, there are all sorts of things that need to be addressed. Better figure out which way the engine spins and cross your fingers it's just a starter swap that you need.

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:58pm
Is this boat new to you and your family? Have you ever actually ridden in the boat? I ask because maybe somebody has changed out something and may tried the wrong parts to correct it.

-------------

Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:24am
We rented the boat, for 2 weeks, in 2012 and everything was great. We bought it in spring 2013 and used it 3 or 4 times thru the summer. At the end of summer started having hesitation and bogging down and starter began to drag. I guess I need to find the correct part number for a Right Hand starter according to all the posted response.

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:42am
First take off distributor cap bump starter.Which direction is dist turning?clockwise or counterclockwise?Should always be clockwise on GM v8 let you know if you have correct starter.

Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:48am
http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/dlang93286/media/boat/photo2_zpsfaa36212.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/dlang93286/media/boat/photo1_zpse26b7c37.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/dlang93286/media/boat/photo31_zps1e6aae4a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/dlang93286/media/boat/photo4_zpsd096a90a.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

http://s1066.photobucket.com/user/dlang93286/media/boat/photo3_zpsd4b7e424.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 2:12am
rotor turning counter clockwise

-------------
j.d. and d.l.

Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 4:09am
Wrong starter

Date Posted: April-11-2014 at 4:37am
Let me elaborate a bit,in a LH or standard rotation engine there is a timing chain making crank and cam turn in same direction with distributor turning clockwise.In a RH marine engine there is no timing chain but 2 gears that make cam turn opposite direction of crank distributor still turns clockwise.Technically cam is standard rotation reverse fire.So in either engine cam,distributor and oil pump turn in same direction.I would take original starter to be rebuilt or deal with marine supply.Not the first to go through this and won't be the last

Posted By: MustangMadness
Date Posted: April-17-2014 at 7:21pm
+1 wrong starter... I have a 1975 CC Mustang with 990311R11 motor and it's a 307 RH. Rotor turns the same direction (clockwise) as the crank (supposed to) when viewed from behind the bell housing.

Firing order: 12756348

Print Page | Close Window