Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3338
Printed Date: September-25-2024 at 8:59am

Topic: Which spark plug wires for HEI?
Posted By: TRBenj
Subject: Which spark plug wires for HEI?
Date Posted: April-11-2006 at 6:34pm
On the first outing of the year, my boat died. I have diagnosed the problem to be a bad ignition module (Prestolite conversion).

Instead of replacing the module, I may take this opportunity to upgrade to a DUI Performance Distributor (HEI). In this case, I'd need to upgrade to 8mm spiral core plug wires.

Ive heard good things about Taylor wires, but I am not sure which automotive application to cross reference (Ive heard not all 351w applications will fit our boats). Not sure if length is the issue or not.

I assume I need HEI terminals on the distributor end. Can someone recommend a Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm part number that they've used, or an automotive application I can cross reference?

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: 79nautique
Date Posted: April-11-2006 at 7:08pm
you are going to need female terminals on both ends of the wire. Most automotive wire sets are short and lay on the exhaust manifolds.

I would say that you should be able to pick-up a set of Chevy 350 marine wires and not have an issue. Hopefully, AWhite70 or joe will chime in since they already have this distributor

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: David F
Date Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:15pm
Do a search on the internet and see if you can find a company that will custom assemble a wire set that perfectly matches (length) the 6mm PCM wire set.

I went this route for a new wire set for my BMW V12 as the BMW dealer wanted about $250 per side for OEM wires. Unfortunately, it has been some time ago and I have since sold the car and all my records went with the car...so I cannot give you the company name.

Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: April-12-2006 at 12:49pm
I do have this distributor but as you can see here

I havent exactly dressed the motor yet. My old setup had yellow accel wires that are the cheepo performance upgrade ones for a 5.0 mustang from the local auto parts store, they fit pretty well in terms of length but I had them run between the valve cover and exhaust manifold. I don't know how they will will route now that I am changing exhaust manifolds. I plan to get it all back together, make some measurements and then call back performance distributors to get a custom set of livewires from them. Awhite may be more helpful if he is already running this setup.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Date Posted: April-12-2006 at 1:00pm
these should work

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=75-1101

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=756&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1979&yrend=1979 - 79 nautique

Posted By: AWhite70
Date Posted: April-12-2006 at 4:47pm
I also have a DUI distributor. I bought a Taylor Spiro-Pro Universal wire set. It came with both HEI and conventional distributor terminals. I had to cut the wires to length and install the distributor connections but everything worked fine.

-------------
AWhite70

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=562&sort=revyear&pagenum=5&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - '79 Ski Nautique

Posted By: danman
Date Posted: April-12-2006 at 10:55pm
Me three-

I have the same distributor as awhite and joe

Works Awesome!!! I bought a set of universal taylor spiro core wires ($50) and cut to length
I am running the stock autolite resistor plug(24) the engine calls for but I opened the gap up to about .060-.065"

I would also highly recommend a platnum plug. I am going to buy a set when I wear out the one's in the motor

Date Posted: April-13-2006 at 12:13pm
Well, that solves it. I ordered some universal Spiro-Pro wires and will be building my own.

I ordered the DUI this morning. Performancedistributors said they have a backlog of 2 weeks.

Danman, any reason why you recommend a platinum plug? Ive read that they last longer, but regular copper plugs perform just as well (or better).

-------------

Posted By: tjackle
Date Posted: April-15-2006 at 12:39am
Hey you guys with the DUI (HEI)...
Do you have a RH or LH? I emailed Performance Dist. and they replied that all they had was LH. Mine is a RH 351 and I REALLY want one of these distributors. Anybody know where I can get a RH or do I just need to call Performance Dist. and hope for the best?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1520&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980 - 78 Nautique

If you're going to do it...
Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-15-2006 at 10:50am
all you have to do is get the gear for a reverse rotation engine and swap the gears on the distributor. In both cases RH or LH the dist rotates in the same direction.

-------------

Date Posted: April-15-2006 at 11:12am
When I bought my DUI they had RH gears to install on the distributors. They charged me $75 extra for it, which I thought was pricey. I questioned them on it and they agreed but said they had to pay that much for them. I needed the gear and didn't have time to find on by other means so I went ahead and paid it.

I can't recall for sure but it's possible the gear from your original distributor could be installed on the DUI.

-------------
AWhite70

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=562&sort=revyear&pagenum=5&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980" rel="nofollow - '79 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: April-15-2006 at 9:14pm
Thanks AWhite.
I'm going to call them Monday. I'll pay the extra $$ as long as it works.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1520&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1976&yrend=1980 - 78 Nautique

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-16-2006 at 2:28am
If your dist is correct for a rev or
RH rotation engine, then you may be able to use that gear, on a new DUI/HEI distrihbutor, regaurdless, the correct gear is available, if you need it. Just make sure you already don't have it on the unit you are removing?

-------------

Date Posted: April-16-2006 at 10:09am
Well, I'm just not sure that the gear on my current Prestolite distributor will fit on the DUI from Performance. If the DUI is anything like the HEI's I've seen in the past, the gear is a module that attaches to the end of the distributor shaft. My Prestolite is a one piece shaft with a roll pin connecting the gear. I guess I need to measure my shaft diameter and see if the DUI is the same. If so maybe I can swap gears. Thanks 79.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-16-2006 at 10:17am
the HEI's have a roll bin through them that attaches the gear to the shaft as well, almost all distributors are done this way. The difference is the drive built into the gear to drive the oil pump, some are sloted others are a hex.

-------------

Date Posted: April-16-2006 at 9:30pm
mine is a 5/16 hex. I believe that Chevy uses the slotted.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Posted By: klinger_2003
Date Posted: April-17-2006 at 1:35am
I dont mean to hijack this thread, but I am new to the site, and have some questions regarding things from this thread. First, the DUI performance dist., is that from performancedistributors.com??   If so, it says the coil is built in.... so i can get rid of the my current coil and all the other old stuff right?? How hard are they to hook up, and do they come with directions?? I have an 85 ski natique 2001, and im pretty sure it is reverse rotation, which is RH, right?? Does an 85 have a resistor block somewhere, and does it get used with the new one?? Will my prestolite gear work or do i need to buy a different gear? I would like to order this asap so i can start skiing again, so all the info i can get is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks again

Kevin

-------------
Sky up, water down, or complete the rotation!!

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-17-2006 at 3:52am
Kevin
Yes, the DUI Distributor is from Performance Distributors. It is supposed to have a one wire installation that replaces the existing distributor, coil, and resistor. Right Hand does signify a reverse rotation engine. You can verify that yours is a RH by looking at the engine tag. It should have a number that starts with something like PXRD. If the third letter is "R" you have a RH motor. An "L" is a LH motor. If your 85 has a resistor block it will most likely be in the rear of the engine usually under a plastic cover of some kind. As far as the gear goes, I'm not sure. I'm just going to order one with my distributor. I'm tired of these little setbacks. I'm ready for the water!!!

-------------

Do it in a boat

Posted By: SS-201
Date Posted: April-17-2006 at 5:25am
Crane 8.5 are great wire.

-------------
SS 201

Date Posted: April-17-2006 at 8:15am
tjackle-If you want to get back on the water fast a DUI might not be the way to go. They make a great product but each distributor is custom calibrated and depending on their backlog it can take them awhile. When I ordered mine I think they told me 2 weeks and it took 3-4.

As far as installation the DUI distributor replaces all of your current ignition gear (coil, ballast resistor, distributor). It is a one wire (well 2 if you want a tach) hookup. You'll need to extend the battery lead and tach lead from your current ignition coil to be long enough to plug into the DUI....that's it.

-------------
AWhite70

Date Posted: April-17-2006 at 10:21am
My current distributor works but... I just called performance distributors and they told me they can't get the RH gear anymore. The guy is doing some checking to see if he can get one anywhere else. I'm just sick of messing with the points and the resistor.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-18-2006 at 1:58am
Ok- thanx for the clarification of some things.. So do you have to use bigger wires with the DUI, or is it "recommended"?? What effect would it have if you didn't do it? I am like tjackle, and am just sick of the points and coil and resistor etc.

On a side note, a lot of people talk about mallory distributors, they are like 240 or something from summit with the magnetic pickup--- well how much better are they then the stock one?? They are still mech. advance, so wouldn't they potentaily cause problems down the road?? This may be a cheaper faster route, but an HEI would be real nice, but is it worth the extra 135 dollars?? Thanx again for the good info!!!

Kevin

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-18-2006 at 8:33am
Originally posted by klinger_2003 klinger_2003 wrote:

Ok- thanx for the clarification of some things.. So do you have to use bigger wires with the DUI, or is it "recommended"?? What effect would it have if you didn't do it? I am like tjackle, and am just sick of the points and coil and resistor etc.

On a side note, a lot of people talk about mallory distributors, they are like 240 or something from summit with the magnetic pickup--- well how much better are they then the stock one?? They are still mech. advance, so wouldn't they potentaily cause problems down the road?? This may be a cheaper faster route, but an HEI would be real nice, but is it worth the extra 135 dollars?? Thanx again for the good info!!!

Kevin

All marine distributors are going to be mechanical advance since the motor is always under load.

If youre sick of dealing with points, you can convert your distributor to electronic for about $100. SkiDIM carries Prestolite and Pertronix conversion kits.

If you want to upgrade to a full electronic distributor, the Mallory's from Summit are an option. When my EI module quit, I only looked at these briefly, however. While they are probably a better product than the stock distributor converted to EI, I dont think they were 3x better (for 3x the cost). They are the distributor only, so you still need a seperate coil. The Unilite requires a ballast resistor, not sure about the magnetic version.

I decided to go with the DUI for a few reasons.
-The advance curve is custom tuned, and will be consistent every time (unlike the stock dist).
-It ouputs a longer duration spark, improving combustion (HEI = High Energy Ignition).
-If I upgrade my motor in the future, the DUI can be re-tuned to the new specs.
-It replaces the distributor AND coil, simplifying wiring.
-you can replace the coil or module with stock GM HEI parts (which dont perform quite as well as the DUI parts, but will get you back on the water quick).
-The DUI specific coil and module replacement prices are reasonable ($45 and $49, respectively).

I am not sure if running stock-type plug wires with the DUI would cause any problems, but you certainly wont be taking full advantage of the hotter, longer spark it provides. Here is a quote from Performance Distributors:

"Stock wires have way too much resistance to run with any high performance igniton. Although we would like to see your run our Live Wire Plug Wires-if you don't at least make sure that you run 8mm spiral core plug wires."

Their Live Wires look nice, but are ~$100/set. I found the Taylor Spiro-Pro 8mm wires for $50 shipped on ebay. I have to cut and terminate them myself, but at least I know the length will be right.

-------------

Date Posted: April-18-2006 at 3:11pm
Thank you TRBenj, that answered many of my questions.. I called Performance distributors and ordered one this morning. They said 2.5 to 3 weeks until it can ship, but I am still skiing at college so we have use of a 2005 and a 2006 ski natique. They said that they cannot get the gear for the Reverse rotation at this time, and that no one is making them that they knew of. He said that the one on my prestolite will almost for sure work, but if i mess up the shaft etc. while chaning it they will not warrenty it, but will of course warrenty all of the electronics. The live wires were 119 bucks, and I didn't order those. I will order a universal set so i know i have the right length. He said make sure you get 8mm spiral core with less then 300 ohms per foot of resistance. He also said that stock ones were about 1200-1500 ohms per foot and would work but not that well.. I hope this helps clear some things up for everyone else wondering. Thank you for all of your help!!!!

kevin

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-18-2006 at 6:40pm
You don't have to get new wires with a DUI because of the ignition system, you have to get them because the distributor end of the wires is different. The DUI uses a GM HEI style end that is different than the OEM style wire.

-------------
AWhite70

Date Posted: April-18-2006 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by AWhite70 AWhite70 wrote:

You don't have to get new wires with a DUI because of the ignition system, you have to get them because the distributor end of the wires is different. The DUI uses a GM HEI style end that is different than the OEM style wire.

Ahh yes, very good point. I was aware of this, but forgot to mention it. Thanks for reminding me!

-------------

Date Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:31am
I called to order my RH DUI from Performance Distributors and they told me they don't carry the RH gear anymore... I though I might could use my current dist gear but I'm not sure it's the same diameter. I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

I'm not sure what direction to go now. My old dist. bushings are worn pretty good. That's why I wanted a new one. I guess I'm going to get a rebuild kit for my current one and just upgrade it. What kind of kit do you guys recommend? I really want to do away with the points and the resistor (and I'd like a bit more spark as well)!

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-19-2006 at 10:43am
Have you tried to find a gear anywhere else?

If you go with a simple EI conversion on your Prestolite distributor, call SkiDIM. I'm pretty sure they'll recommend the Prestolite conversion (as opposed to the Pertronix). The Prestolite should allow you to bypass the resistor. Just be careful- you wont be able to use a high output coil (like an MSD Blaster 2) because the ignition module is not designed to handle it. I suspect that was the cause of my Prestolite EI failure. Prior to that, the boat ran very well.

-------------

Date Posted: April-19-2006 at 11:39pm
Well tjackle, i will be able to tell you in 2 to 3 weeks if the prestolite gear will work or not, because that is what i am banking on right now.... Sure hope it works. if my current gear has a smaller diamter than the shaft on the new distributor, i will probably put the old gear on a lathe and make it a lil bigger....Hopefully it just works. I will post when i find out!!!

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-20-2006 at 5:35am
Originally posted by tjackle tjackle wrote:

I called to order my RH DUI from Performance Distributors and they told me they don't carry the RH gear anymore... I though I might could use my current dist gear but I'm not sure it's the same diameter. I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

I'm not sure what direction to go now. My old dist. bushings are worn pretty good. That's why I wanted a new one. I guess I'm going to get a rebuild kit for my current one and just upgrade it. What kind of kit do you guys recommend? I really want to do away with the points and the resistor (and I'd like a bit more spark as well)!

-------------
SS 201

Date Posted: April-20-2006 at 5:45am
You want wires with the least resistance. I would suggest Call Southeaast Correct 407 851 1965 ask for Woodie. They had a couple, if you use the old one I would have a machine shop do it. there is a clearance issue to consider.

-------------
SS 201

Date Posted: April-20-2006 at 12:47pm
SS-201, does southeast correct craft have the gear, or the wires? Whoever i talked to at perf. distributors said that they used to get gears from prestolite, and he also thought that it should work. Just have to wait and see i guess. Thanks

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-20-2006 at 2:22pm
Be carefull with that gear it's hardend and pretty tuff stuff to machine. And pay attaintion to the type of oil pump drive it has, hex or slot, if it's a hex then it's part of the gear and if its a slot it will be the shaft and may have different I.D.'s on each end of the gear. Hopefully it's simple and all you have to do is drive out the roll-bin, which you will want to drive out just enough to clear the dist shaft and not completetly out, re-assembly is much easier this way. Also there maybe a dimple on side of the gear that should inline with the tip of the electrode of the rotor.

-------------

Date Posted: April-20-2006 at 7:26pm
The oil pump drive on a 351W is a hex 5/16. I've been through that before.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-21-2006 at 10:08pm
OK,
I just decided to H3LL with it. I found a new Prestolite points distributor for a good deal and I'm ordering an EI conversion kit from Skidim. Kevin, let me know how your DUI turns out. I really hope I'm wrong but everything I've researched indicates the DUI/HEI is a GM platform modified to fit the Ford. If that's the case then the Ford 351 dist. shaft would be larger diameter than the DUI. Why can't it all be compatable? It's like trying to make an Apple talk to an IBM! You can do it, but it's ulgy.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-22-2006 at 3:46am
I hope your not right, cuz i really want the distributor to work, but if you are then i have some fun cut out for me in trying to find the right gear. I had my boat running for the first time on the lake this year, and it ran pretty good with the points, so i guess if the DUI doesn't work then i can still ski with the current set up.... I will let everyone know if it works or not. Have a good one.

Kevin

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-22-2006 at 8:10am
Originally posted by tjackle tjackle wrote:

OK,
I just decided to H3LL with it. I found a new Prestolite points distributor for a good deal and I'm ordering an EI conversion kit from Skidim. Kevin, let me know how your DUI turns out. I really hope I'm wrong but everything I've researched indicates the DUI/HEI is a GM platform modified to fit the Ford. If that's the case then the Ford 351 dist. shaft would be larger diameter than the DUI. Why can't it all be compatable? It's like trying to make an Apple talk to an IBM! You can do it, but it's ulgy.

You're right- the Performance Distributors DUI is a GM based unit, modified for the Ford. If you read their website, they mention that stock GM HEI parts (coil, ignition module) will drop in as replacements.

-------------

Date Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:09am
GM never made a base, housing or casting for a small block ford. Someone else did and in the same since they where also smart enough to change the shaft diameter as well and maybe there was a tip off posted earlier that DUI got there gears from prestolite for the reverse rotation engines, and maybe the three or four other people that are using it already might ease some peoples minds but then again maybe not. Seems pretty stupid to buy a point dist then get a conversion kit. The DUI unit works fine and the geat isn't an issue, even if you don't like the DUI unit or are worried, an Electronic Dist is the way to go, beside why buy a new point dist when that what's already on the engine, not to smart to me.

-------------

Date Posted: April-23-2006 at 11:29am
Like I said before, the bushings are worn pretty good in my current distributor (it wobbles). Now I'm sure I could get a bushing kit for it and find someone to rebuild it but I got this one for pretty cheap (and it's a new Prestolite). I really wanted a DUI for my boat but I'm tired of not being able to find what will work. I can't see how you say thet the gear isn't an issue. IT IS THE ISSUE! I wouldn't have a problem just changing gears if one was available.
Now I know 3 or 4 other people are useing DUI's and that's why I called Performance Dist. They said they can't get the gears anymore. We'll see what happens when Kevin gets his in. I hope everything works fine but for me, I've decided to go with an EI. Now I could order a new EI for $350 or I can go the route I'm going (and yes, I'm using ALL MARINE PARTS) and only spend $150. That Doesn't sound stupid to me.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-23-2006 at 12:50pm
Let me add that it may be cheaper to rebuild/replace the bushings on my current dist. but I've never done that before. Besides, if there's one thing I've learned about owning a boat is that its always a good idea to have a spare!

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-24-2006 at 9:07am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

... beside why buy a new point dist when that what's already on the engine, not to smart to me.

Well, I replaced my point distributor with a point distributor for about $55.00, then immediately sold the boat. Let me tell you that the engine never ran so good once that old worn out distributor was gone. Point type distributors will work fine if you keep them up. If I kept the boat, I would have converted the distributor to electronic and saved a few bucks. The cheapest electronic marine distributor (new) that I found was $240.00. Not a bad deal, but more money than I wanted to put into the boat just so I could sell it.

Date Posted: April-24-2006 at 5:18pm
That's kinda the point I had. New vs. 28 years old and no telling how many hours. Honestly probably thousands.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:28am
if your just fixing it because your selling it then ya go as cheap as possible, but if your going to use it yourself, then I tend to spend a little more for piece of mind and not have to have a tool box in the boat. If i was looking at the DUI unit and the gear was the issue then I would be pulling the dist I have, removing the gear and mic the shaft diameter and see if it matches the DUI unit, the odds that prestolite made a special gear for DUI is slim and none and they are the same.

-------------

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:49am
There will be no selling this boat. Been in my family for 28 years. I've got my dist. and EI kit coming. I'll let you know how I like it. I hope Kevin can just swap gears and be done with it. If that's the case and I end up not liking the route I've chosen... I'll just get the DUI. It's only money.

and I thought everybody kept a toolbox in the boat.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 10:59am
small screw drive and a small adjustable is all that has ever beem on mine.

-------------

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 11:10am
yeh, me too and a small hammer until I replaced the old corroded carb. I used the hammer to beat on the fuel bowl to dislodge the corrosion particles from the needle seat

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 3:00pm
Well, I keep enough tools to rebuild the carb, replace the waterpump impeller, hell just about anything... cause when you lock through the dam to meet your buddies on the low side then cruise down river a couple hours, you want to be prepared for everything. My Dad taught me that. It's saved my butt more than once.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Date Posted: April-25-2006 at 6:31pm
Yeah, i like to carry plenty of stuff as well, not cuz i need it, but cuz i feel better. Plus i have helped fix many other peoples boats that were stuck on the water..

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: April-26-2006 at 9:05am
I guess all of the years boating with my Dad taught me that if the boat's not in top running order then you don't need to be going out. I don't recall ever seeing a tool box on my Dad's boat or mine for that matter, I've had issue on mine when a new coil (second time out) going out and the prop shaft snaping in two the other time and having tools on board wouldn't have made a different in either case.

-------------

Date Posted: April-26-2006 at 10:51am
All my two strokes (jetski and outboards) have a plug wrench and spare spark plugs in them at all times, the inboard has jumper cables. Of course my lake is only a mile wide by ten miles long worst case scenario in the summer is a swim to the nearest friend/family members place.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Posted By: Darrel
Date Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:28pm
I carry a few tools but not too much. Our first rule is to always go up river...if anything happens (and it has) you always eventually float home. Rule 2 is always bring more cold ones than you expect to need.

Date Posted: April-26-2006 at 12:45pm
On the lake its always upwind instead of upriver, but it has two advantages, a lot easier to paddle back and somewhere up there there is a at least a few feet of glass calm water...

-------------
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"

Date Posted: May-06-2006 at 10:09am
[QUOTE=tjackle]   I think the DUI is going to be .491 and the stock marine I think is .530. Anybody know for sure?

Well, I know for sure now that the stock Prestolite marine distributor shaft is .530. I mic'd it yesterday when I replaced mine with my new EI.

-------------

Do it in a boat

Posted By: nuttyskier2002
Date Posted: May-06-2006 at 6:29pm
I used an automotive plug wire set specified for a 454 Chevy big block when I converted to the HEI. The wire lengths are almost perfect. The 351 W Ford is a little larger than the small block chevy so that's why I went with the big block application. Make sure you specify it's to be used on an HEI so you get the right ends to go on the distributor ('74 - '77 are the years). One other thing,...before you "stab" the new distributor, do this first. Set the #1 cylinder/piston to it's firing position then stab the distributor into it's hole, turning the shaft so that the rotor points closest to the direction of the #1 cylinder. That way your shortest wire will reach the #1 cylinder with no problem. Any brand of high quality spiral wound cables is good. I used Moroso Blue Max. I like the color blue.

-------------
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)

Date Posted: May-06-2006 at 6:37pm
Nuttyskier, I already built my cables myself this time, but this is a good tip for when it comes time to replace them. Do you have the wires running over the valve covers or under the exhaust manifolds? Id love to see a pic!

-------------

Date Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:25pm
Under the valve covers,...wanted it to look as neat as possible. That's why I need the big block wire set. I am also using 2 sets of those Moroso wire separators (plastic). They are availible at Summit. So are the wires.

-------------

Former boats:

Date Posted: May-06-2006 at 7:25pm
I meant to say under the manifolds,....sorry!

-------------

Former boats:

Date Posted: May-08-2006 at 11:10pm
Well guys, its been a long day, but I finally have it all done. So for the first question that many have been waiting for, the gear off my prestolite clip down will work on the DUI unit with slit modification. The shaft size is the same on both distributors, but the hole in the gear is slightly different. I took the two gears to a machine shop and had them drill a different hole in the gear, turned 90 degrees. The height of the hole is the problem, and i wanted it to be exactly right, so that is why I had it done. It "may" of worked as is, but i didn't want to chance that. I used Moroso Blue Max wires, but went with the yellow color instead of blue. I also got a red dist. cap on my DUI. I had it running in the shed, just enough to time it while dumping water in, but hopefully will get it to the drink tomorrow and "test" it with a good slalom set!!!! Oh yeah, it cost me ten whole dollars to have the hole put in the right spot, so it really wasn't a big deal. My gear with 975 hours showed almost NO wear at all, so that was also good. I will try and get some pictures of my boat and motor etc. in the diaries in the next few days. Oh yeah, one last thing, on a 1985 ski natique 2001, the gray/silver wire on the coil is the tach wire, its on the same side of the coil as the wire that runs to the distributor. If anyone has questions please ask!!! I will report back as soon as i get it on the water and ski behind it!!!
Good luck

-------------

-1985 Ski Natique 2001

Date Posted: May-09-2006 at 4:37pm
Good to hear!!!

-------------

Do it in a boat

Posted By: Munday
Date Posted: May-09-2006 at 11:25pm

Been a good post,learned alot and maybe in my future since I have protec system.Course mine is standard rotation.It will be a bit easier.I thought it was gonna be this spring but just had connection trouble.

Goodluck Munday

Print Page | Close Window