Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33403
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 12:39pm

Topic: persistent high temp readings
Posted By: Swatkinz
Subject: persistent high temp readings
Date Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:38pm
Have had some scary water temp issues that have been off and on for the past year (or so). Found some air leaks and other issues that have been remedied, but high temp readings persist. Impeller is good. Thermostat is a 160degree and was replaced last summer.

Currently, I can crank the boat on the hose in the yard using the toilet flusher up under the boat. Get the boat to operating temperature and the gauge will read from 180degrees to 210degrees. This is at idle. I've doubted the gauge reading so I purchased an IR thermometer to confirm and what I've found is that when the boat reads b/w the 180 and 210, I can find no spot on the engine or manifold that exceeds 165. The exhaust manifolds too aren't too hot to rest your hands on them even when the gauge reads 210.

I've replaced the temp sender. To check the gauge, I removed the wire from the top of the sender and grounded it out. When doing so, the gauge pegs to the right.

Last summer, during one of these "high readings," I removed the thermostat and it made no difference in the temperature problems.

What next? I was told that a gauge either works or it doesn't. That's about the last thing to check here no?   

Any other suggestions?

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:43pm
First of all you should be running a 143 thermostat. 160s are for EFI engines.

Second, if the engine is cool then it's simply a read out problem. Could be the sender, wiring or the gauge.

We know that a weak or low voltage ground will cause high readings across the dash. Are the voltage and oil pressure accurate?

-------------

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: April-21-2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

First of all you should be running a 143 thermostat. 160s are for EFI engines.

Second, if the engine is cool then it's simply a read out problem. Could be the sender, wiring or the gauge.

We know that a weak or low voltage ground will cause high readings across the dash. Are the voltage and oil pressure accurate?

+1 on all accounts. My '02 has a gauge issue and it consistently reads around 180. Once in a while it will go just above 180 but then if I tap the gauge it will drop back to 180. Definitely a gauge issue on my boat and I am anal about watching it "just in case". Last year my impeller spun some vanes and I watched it climb up so I headed straight to the dock. I carry a little dime bag of impeller pieces in the helm pocket as a reminder to keep an eye on the temp. One of these days I'll get around to replacing the gauge.   

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Swatkinz
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:03am
How do I confirm the oil pressure and voltage gauge accuracy?

-------------
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Posted By: backfoot100
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Swatkinz Swatkinz wrote:

How do I confirm the oil pressure and voltage gauge accuracy?

What do the gausges read? Voltage is easy to verify with a VOM but it would be nice to know what the gauge reads normally.
Same with the oil pressure. What does it read when cold and then at operating temp? To verify you can remove the sender and screw in a cheap mechanical gauge to see what that says compared to the dash gauge.

When you replaced the temp sender what ohm range did you use?

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 11:56am
If the Volts, Temp, and Oil Pressure Gauges (some or all) move noticeably when you honk the horn or turn on your nav lights or even blower, then that's a strong indicator it's a weak ground or weak positive to the dash issue.

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 12:56pm
I want to know where Bret is finding dime bags. I haven't seen one of those in decades...

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

I want to know where Bret is finding dime bags. I haven't seen one of those in decades...

LOL. Yeah, since you're farther south and on the coast I'm sure your bags are more like bricks wrapped in duct tape.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 9:29pm

WOW, you are bringing back memories of collage and yes for me that was decades ago!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by bhectus bhectus wrote:

LOL. Yeah, since you're farther south and on the coast I'm sure your bags are more like bricks wrapped in duct tape.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 10:22pm
Keep in mind the horn takes a bit of current to blow, or at least it should. So if the gauges bounce when you honk it I wouldn't be too concerned but if lights etc cause it to dip, check the ground like mentioned before.

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: April-22-2014 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

WOW, you are bringing back memories of collage and yes for me that was decades ago!

Collage, that's funny.

Is that what one sees when under the influence of said psychedelic?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: April-23-2014 at 2:10am
Originally posted by dwouncmd dwouncmd wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Collage, that's funny.

Is that what one sees when under the influence of said psychedelic?

a dime bag useta last us all weak....err week. no collage here.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: psherwin
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 1:02am
This relates to the temp gauge problem. In the driveway with a "fake lake", yesterday, I was getting the audible alarm and the "Temp" light, but the gauge read no more than 160. Engine was at fast idle with a few "bumps" of the throttle and it just felt "warm". Took her down the road to the lake to adjust and set the packing nut, alarm sounded at crank-up and stayed on 'til I disconnected it. Gauge never showed more than 165 even with 3500+ RPM out on the lake. So sending unit o.k., but warning light and alarm are malfunctioning. What is the remedy?   

-------------
'86 Martinique,351 PCM

Print Page | Close Window