Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33444
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 1:24pm

Topic: Borg Warner Tranny
Posted By: Riverman
Subject: Borg Warner Tranny
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 6:09pm
My 10-17-004 tranny went out in my 05 2001, need recommendation, is it difficult to rebuild myself? if so where can I send and what should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 7:33pm
Since you are in the great state of North Carolina I'd start with contacting ReidP. at Race City Marina in Mooresville, he's also on this site. See what he has to say. There is a guy up in one of those Yankee states... Wisconsin I think, he's evidently the Velvet Drive Guru, search this site and you should find something on him. Sorry, I haven't used him nor do I know his name. Let me know how things turn out because one of ours is pushing 3000 hours and starting to partially slip so when it completely fails I'll pull it. FYI, shipping weight sans pallet is right at 100 pounds.

Have I seen fairly recently somebody has a part-out boat in NC?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Riverman Riverman wrote:

My 10-17-004 tranny went out in my 05 2001, need recommendation, is it difficult to rebuild myself? if so where can I send and what should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt?

Thanks

Tom,
We have seen several who have tried but only 1 I remember having success. We have even heard of "professional" marinas failed. There are many tricks to the rebuild and MANY tolerances that need checking. What is your mechanical background? Google Fantastic Finish Marine. The past owner Eric was very active on CCfan back a few years. He sold FFM to his "right hand man" who as Eric told us is just as good.

BTW, forget the pallet. Get one of those plastic milk crates and make a wood top for it. They can be UPS'd as overweight.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: April-25-2014 at 9:06pm
Give Race City a call. The tranny man is Eric Lavine. Fantastic Finnish is the shop in Canton, Ohio. I don't think he is working there anymore but his brother does. Fantastic Finnish is highly recommended. Eric has given a ton of good advice here and rebuild a load of transmissions too.

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: ny_nautique
Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 12:06am
Tom - plenty of people have rebuilt their transmission. If you buy the right parts and follow directions, you should be able to do it.

Take a look at http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874" rel="nofollow - this thread .

Here are a few manuals as well.
http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/bw_sch_fs.html" rel="nofollow - Marine Parts Express

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=32581" rel="nofollow - Other links .

-------------
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-26-2014 at 8:13am
Originally posted by ny_nautique ny_nautique wrote:

Tom - plenty of people have rebuilt their transmission. If you buy the right parts and follow directions, you should be able to do it.

Take a look at http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53874" rel="nofollow - this thread .

Jeff,
A very interesting link. Thanks for that but I see no reference to dimensional tolerances that Eric ALWAYS stated were CRITICAL to a proper rebuild. Anyone can through parts together. Without the dimensional tolerance checking I feel that's why so many "rebuilds" fail. I will say that if the trans is in decent shape and you are just doing a basic PM on it, then the kits are good however, if it is slipping then the kit may not work. WHY did it slip??? Have you ever done one yourself??

Tom, send it to a pro (FFM)

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Jeremy
Date Posted: May-25-2014 at 4:20am
I rebuilt mine a few years back and works great. I found a company in Baton Rouge LA. Huber Marine                     (225)927-6895. I can't remember his name but a really nice guy. Sent me all the specs I needed and had all parts in stock.

Posted By: DrCC
Date Posted: May-25-2014 at 6:02pm
I just read a thread in here somewhere that sounded like several had issues with the FFM VD's.

Who's the one success story Pete, me ?
Who's the pro that failed ?

I say: If you can read and comprehend at the same time while chewing gum.
And, if you have the Service Manual.
And, if you have the Special Tools.
And, if you have a good track record of taking things apart, making them work after it's back together without any left-over parts on the bench.
Then you should be able to do a B/W-V/D.

Last one I did was for the SMS Ski Team, and even got a signed Thank You card from the entire team.
If you're local, I'll help.
If it involves shipping, I'm out.

Date Posted: May-25-2014 at 6:08pm
Oh and, "05 2001" you sure ?

edit: One more "And" , If you know about the one little snap-ring trick which isn't really a trick but more of an omission of information in the service manual.

Date Posted: May-26-2014 at 9:56pm
Also, To save yourself some money, never order or buy the rebuild kit.
Because: It includes parts for the reduction gear. You don't need reduction gear parts.
Buy only what you need. You can buy everything you need separately.
Don't buy it until you know you need it.

Print Page | Close Window