Print Page | Close Window

Smells like Fuel - Safety Concern?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33504
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 12:43pm

Topic: Smells like Fuel - Safety Concern?
Posted By: CCFcourt
Subject: Smells like Fuel - Safety Concern?
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 2:41am
Team of Engine Repair Experts,

Every time I take my 1993 ski nautique out, I seem to notice more and more that the cockpit smells like fuel after just a few minutes of running the engine. I can turn the blower on and run the boat fast with the windshield open to keep the smell to a minimum, but this becomes hard at idle speeds or just after turning off the engine. I've had others on the boat who agree with me that it smells much stronger than expected.

How do I go about troubleshooting this? It is safe to assume that I'm pretty green but capable of learning if given the right keywords to search. Thoughts that come to mind are possible fuel mixture issues with the carb, some form of timing problem not burning efficiently, a leak from the filter, etc. I don't know how to evaluate any of those things at this point. Suggestions appreciated (including telling me if this is too complicated for a beginner, what to ask the service dept to investigate!). I have the pro boss fuel inject system that came with the boat originally. All parts are original to my knowledge.

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 9:26am
Uh, first thing I would do is open the motorbox and see what you can see- a strong fuel smell may indicate a fuel leak. That's a major safety concern, not a minor inconvenience! It is not safe to operate a boat with a fuel leak. Think explosion.

CC/PCM did not debut a fuel injection system until 1994, you may be thinking of the Pro Tec ignition system. A '93 should have a very basic carbureted fuel system- tank, fuel/water separator, fuel pump, carb. Inspect all of them closely and observe for leaks. The engine compartment should NOT smell like gas if all is well. Do this and resolve it before using the boat again, if you're not comfortable doing these basic checks, bring it to someone. We'd hate to see you hurt someone or burn to the waterline.

Posted By: bhectus
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 9:36am
Check your intake manifold, is there any fuel sitting in between the runners? That's a prime spot for leaking fuel to show itself. As Tim said, if its bad enough that you're smelling it while idling and running then you need to get the problem resolved before taking it on the water again.

-------------
'02 Ski Nautique 196 w/ 5.7 Apex bowtie - Sold
'87 Barefoot - sold
'97 Super Sport Nautique - originally custom built for Walt Meloon
'97 Ski Nautique
'83 SN 2001

Posted By: Waterdog
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:09am
I'd think it will be easy to spot. Fuel line will be lower front left on the engine to the pump then a solid 3/8 line to the carb. If you don't see the leak at IDLE with the spark arrester removed shut the engine off and look down the carb a float maybe stuck.

-------------
- waterdog -

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=3896&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1978&yrend=1978" rel="nofollow - 78 Ski Tique

Posted By: OverMyHead
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 10:45am
Two common leaks are the inlet fitting into the carb and the plugged holes on the carburetor itself.

-------------
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:13am
Another possibility is a loose connection at the fuel tank fill, or vent. These may not spill fuel but would release vapor. I agree the boat should be totally parked until this is fixed.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: May-06-2014 at 2:09am
Thanks for the ideas. Based on the comments, I plan to run the boat in the driveway this week and look for leaks. I have observed that the top of the fuel filter (mounted in left rear of the engine compartment) is corroded.. but has been that way since I bought the boat a few years ago.   

If the fuel tank is leaking, will I be able to see the leak behind the rear seats? Probably not, but maybe on the floor?

Yes, I believe I was thinking of the ProTec ignition...

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-07-2014 at 12:21pm
Can you post a pic of the top of your engine?

You mentioned having a 93, but then your signature says a 94.

TRBenj was saying 94 was the first year of potential Fuel Injection (Throttle Body Injection).

If we can tell if you have a Carb or TBI that will guide answers a bit better.

Date Posted: May-10-2014 at 3:02pm
I had some time today to take the cover off and have a look. The boat hadn't been used in a week and I found just a tiny bit of fuel sitting on top of the engine. I couldn't see anything actively leaking or wet. Without starting the engine, I turned the key to accessory on, and could hear the fuel pump kick on. At this point, I saw a small trickle of fuel coming out of what I believe is the side of the carburetor. It is difficult to tell exactly what is leaking, but I see fuel gather and ripple slightly (like a light breeze on calm water) in the area circled in the attached picture. It appears the fuel is then circling around the rim of the carb and dripping down off of it - although I'm not certain that's a true statement and have circled in yellow an additional site in the front of the engine, beneath the carb that is wet now (but could just be from the fuel dripping over the rim of the carb). This happens every time I turn the key completely off and then turn it again on so that the fuel pump kicks on.

The last two digits of the HIN are 94, so I guess I have a 94 model year. The pictures indicate a throttle body injection, correct? Also, I've included a picture of the top of the fuel filter housing. It looks corroded (was this way before I got the boat). Should I be concerned about that? Doesn't appear to be leaking in that area at all.

So I'd love to get advice on what you think exactly is leaking in the carburetor (is that the right term, or should I be calling it something else if this is TBI?). Does it need to be rebuilt? As always, thanks much for pointing this out on this thread so I don't keep using the boat, thinking all boats smell a little like fuel!

Pictures:

Fuel Filter:

Fuel Pump:

Location of perceived leak (orange circle) and pooling fuel (yellow circle):

Pooling fuel in yellow circle area at front of carb too (may be from run off above):

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-10-2014 at 3:36pm
Yeah, this is a TBI setup, so no carburetor at all.

I'm not sure who on this site would know how to service this.

I wouldn't worry about the fuel pump corrosion if it's not leaking.

I'd be wary about spending too much money on servicing your existing setup. You could be looking at a full carburetor/ignition retrofit.

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: May-10-2014 at 5:41pm
Having a hard time keeping up with which boat has which problem, but if its running fine otherwise I would guess there is just a clogged nozzle on one of the Injectors causing it to spray to the side. Like Brian said, you're looking at a new carb and dizzy to replace the ProTec when it goes so don't pour a bunch of money in it trying to keep it going. Last time I looked it was about $25 and some shipping to have nozzles cleaned and rebuilt, that would be worth trying if the ProTec is giving you no other issues

Date Posted: May-11-2014 at 11:57am
Who would you recommend working with for TBI cleaning? Is there a 'best place to go' or should I just call local dealership service dept?

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Date Posted: May-11-2014 at 2:11pm
http://www.witchhunter.com/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://www.witchhunter.com/index.php

These are the guys I was thinking of, never had anything like this done, but I trust the folks who gave me their name.

Date Posted: May-12-2014 at 11:10pm
Thanks for the info.
I'm a little confused at this point. Why the comment that I shouldn't invest in repairing the setup and that I'm going to need a new one -- is the ProTec known to be a bad system? I called around a little today and was told that retrofitting a new ignition system isn't cost effective...

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: May-12-2014 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by CCFcourt CCFcourt wrote:

Thanks for the info.
is the ProTec known to be a bad system? .

Yes, it was PCM / CC's first attempt at Fuel Injection. I believe you will find that the parts are obsolete. As people retrofit, they sell the old parts on this site. Some have had no problems, but many have not been so lucky. WWW.Skidim.COM (Discount inboard marine) sells a retrofit kits that includes a new distributor and other parts to work around it.

Date Posted: May-13-2014 at 12:26am
Whoever made the ProTec went under in just a few of years so there are no replacement parts. There's not a whole lot of info on how to trouble shoot the thing, some people have luck replacing parts others don't. The fix is to go back to a regular distributor and in your case a carb. If there is any good news, you're issue looks like its fixable and fairly easy asuming the injectors aren't something made just for ProTec.

I got almost 900 hrs out of my ProTec, they can last a while and you may not ever need to replace it.   The idea was good,   Unfortunately Ford didn't offer their version on marine engines and PCM had to use a supplier who didn't work out.   

Date Posted: May-13-2014 at 12:43am
Thanks. That helps explain the thought process a bit.

-------------
Ski Nautique 94

Print Page | Close Window