Print Page | Close Window

Engine Clunk.... what could it be.

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33689
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 1:18pm

Topic: Engine Clunk.... what could it be.
Posted By: malcolm2
Subject: Engine Clunk.... what could it be.
Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 12:07am
My buddy's fairly new Master Craft (out of warranty) would not accelerate, they hear a fairly loud clunking and shut it off.

V-drive, fuel injection: loaded with 11 people and gear, food and beer. Pulling a wake boarder. fuel gauge read 1/4 tank, oil pressure was good, temp was good. They had burned 3/4 tank boarding and cruising all day. Fat sacks were used at times.

We were not far from the ramp, and the day was pretty much done, so I towed them over the trailer in my trusty old 92 SN.

Yesterday we go get the boat, added some fuel, (just in case) and went to drop it in to test and get a longer look. It was really busy at the ramp, and the hockey game was starting, so we did not take the time Sat afternoon.

The engine started right up Sunday AM. But when I tried to rev it, in neutral, the clunking & stammering returned. Being a V-drive, I leaned over the engine to see the pulley end and listen closer. It sounded like it was coming from that end of the boat.

Anyone ever have these symptoms? I am afraid it is a major thing, maybe crank related. But why would the stammering and noise not be there at idle?

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 1:01am
I'm guessing dampner plate

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 9:30am
^^^^ X2

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 10:37am

Our Direct Drive Correct Craft boats can use this fly wheel:

www.ebasicpower.com and purchase a model AS4-KC2 for $90.00. I believe that the ends of the triangle tips have to be trimmed off to make it fit.

I am not sure what the set-up is on the Master Craft. PCM or Inmar and which trans.

Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 2:03pm
best I can remember it is an X-14... Indmar.

So what is a dampener plate? And where is it?

Date Posted: May-27-2014 at 2:28pm
Flywheel is on the tranny end of the engine. I am guessing that this dampening plate is like a clutch? i Googled it and found some marine versions, but the website given does not have the part # given. at least I can't find it using their search.

I figured the noise was coming from the other end of the engine... but I guess since it is all connected the noise could move all the way thru the engine.

Date Posted: June-03-2014 at 2:50pm
UPDATE: Well the big MC is back from the shop. They found that the FUEL FILTER needed to be replaced. I guess it was reducing the fuel and pressure when the engine called for it. That is where a pressure gauge would have helped.

I had an 68 bug that died once from a filter issue. But it would not start. At least not soon after it died. If I waited an hour or so it would start.

Anyway, all is well now. I wish I had videoed the problem, it sure did make a terrible sound.

Print Page | Close Window