Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33704
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 12:42pm

Topic: Another hard start issue
Posted By: cdsalmon
Subject: Another hard start issue
Date Posted: May-28-2014 at 6:52pm
Good afternoon guys,
I’ve had my 1980 ski nautique out on the water three times this year so far, as I have to say I am enjoying it so far minus some startup issues. Details on the motor is 351PCM, has factory prestolite distributor with points (these were replaced from PO and look brand new), has a factory looking coil, a rebuilt carb (does not leak down after shutoff), the choke seems to function as it is supposed to, new plugs. The boat runs like a top, idles nicely (after I adjusted the idle as it was having a hard time idling without stalling), doesn't spit, spudder, hickup, bog.. anything like that. My issue is starting it at the ramp (pump a few times and it will start up eventually), then warm start is another problem. I've been researching coil issues (as I believe it's overheating/degrading/not getting enough voltage on startup). At times, when I'm starting, as soon as I let go of the key it fires off. I've read this issue can be fixed by adding a "jumper" wire from the starter relay to the + side of the coil (would use a relay to break the circuit after start so that the coil doesn't back feed the starter relay)? I'm up for trying this as I'd like the boat to start with first key hit as it's pretty annoying cranking the thing in the middle of the lake waiting for it to start after a skier change.
I also would like to go grab a stock replacement coil and see if this helps my situation as well. Seems like I can mimic the situation fairly consistently if I warm the coil up with a heat gun, so I believe the coil is probably just heat soaking. What is a replacement coil I can get at the local parts store that will work with my factory ballast resistor and my factory distributor and points?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: May-30-2014 at 9:24am
I would get your coil from Zach at N3 or Vince at Skidim, that way you know you're getting the right thing.

That said, I've seen the Blaster II recommend:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30399&title=engine-coil-overheating" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30399&title=engine-coil-overheating

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: May-30-2014 at 11:12am
PCM coils are silly expensive. Go to O'reilly and ask for a coil for a 68 Mustang 302.

-------------

Posted By: cdsalmon
Date Posted: June-04-2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

PCM coils are silly expensive. Go to O'reilly and ask for a coil for a 68 Mustang 302.

That's funny that you give that car as an example as I have one! haha, certainly doesn't have a stock coil though

Where in IN are you from?

Posted By: wake_2001
Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 1:54pm
Go with the Blaster II. My boat was doing exactly what you describe and it fixed everything. Not kidding. You will not regret that $40 purchase.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: June-05-2014 at 2:10pm
We are here in Indianapolis. Ford guy huh??? haha. We have some old Mopars but all the boats are Ford and Chevy.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window