Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33805
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:24pm

Topic: GT40 tripping 60A breaker
Posted By: moto132
Subject: GT40 tripping 60A breaker
Date Posted: June-08-2014 at 8:58pm
Was having a good day on the water yesterday until i went to shut my boat off after a set in the afternoon. Instantly everything shut off including my stereo. I found that the 60A breaker on the front of the motor had tripped. I reset it, started the boat back up and then perfect pass was going on and off and my volt gage was reading 13-14 bouncing back and fourth. Shut the boat off again and nothing. Had to reset the breaker again I am getting 14 volts with the boat running to I'm ignition switch. Anyone have any ideas what would cause the breaker to keep tripping? I also tried it with my stereo shut off and the problem did not go away. Any help would be awesome.

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:01am
What year is the boat?

Really what I'm wondering is if you have pushbutton breakers like the early ones or if you have a "smart-pod" dash setup that's more computer driven.

Date Posted: June-09-2014 at 2:46pm
It's in a 97 Super Sport with the push button breakers on the dash pod

Date Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:39pm
Have you made any changes to your electrical system recently?

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-09-2014 at 10:45pm
Breakers do go bad,I don't know how to test them.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-09-2014 at 11:20pm
^^That's true.

Also, check all the wiring connections for cleanliness, tightness and corrosion. Check the quick disconnect plugs too.

Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 1:20am
I have not made any changes. From what i have dug up on other topics in this issue it sounds like my main ground/power wires going to the dash may be the culprit. Other guys have found them to be undersized having the exact same issue. I am gonna try and order a new breaker and also run 10 G wire for power/ground to the dash and see if that solves my issues.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 2:34am
Not sure I have ever heard that on newer boats seems like more of an 80s thing. I would change the breaker to see if that fixes it first,you are in for a big job to run wire to the front of a vdrive if you follow the original harness.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 2:17pm
Check the condition of your battery as well. And make sure it's not a deep cycle.

Posted By: LjonSF
Date Posted: October-01-2015 at 3:01pm
wondering if/ how you solved this issue.. having a very similar problem.

Jon

-------------
how to buy a boat:
tell your sweetheart you're going to look at a boat.
come home with a boat.

Print Page | Close Window