Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33819
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 12:43pm

Topic: 92 carb question
Posted By: adolesents
Subject: 92 carb question
Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 5:28am
Just got a 92 ski nautique a few weeks ago love the boat but seems a lil sluggish when taking off so my question is have any of you swapped the carb out to a manual secondary double pumper or changed the spring in the vacuum secondary pod to a lighter spring to make them come on sooner ? Seems to me like this would be a huge improvement over the way it is now. It doesn't have any sputtering or hesitation whatsoever just want a lil more pull on take off. It has the factory prop that seems to work well and not really looking to change the prop. Thanks in advance

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 9:53am
Do you want honest opinions and a solution to your question or do you just want people to agree with you?

A few of us have gone to larger carburetors- aftermarket and otherwise- with mechanical secondaries. There are various reasons to do so, but improving the acceleration of a stock engine is not one of them. A properly functioning and adjusted stock carburetor (600cfm Holley) will work great. Of course the rest of the ignition and fuel system needs to be dialed in as well- have you done that yet?

If all is well with the tune, improving the holeshot comes down to prop selection. Anyone who thinks that the stock federal prop from the early 90's "performs well" simply hasn't experienced what a new prop can do. If you're only going to make one change to your boat, change the prop.

Posted By: adolesents
Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 3:13pm
I want honest opinion is like to fix this problem I've dialed in the carb an ignition system I'm new to this boat and the direct drive I come mostly from drag racing and off road racing so this is a little new for me if I was to change the prop would you have a suggestion of which one to buy?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: June-10-2014 at 6:09pm
Yes, but not without more information.

Confirm engine and HP rating
Confirm transmission ratio
Provide current prop information
Provide wot RPM (confirmed accurate tachometer)
Provide wot speed (verified with an accurate GPS)
Tell us how you will use the boat (cruising, which watersports, load scenarios)
Tell is where you will use the boat (altitude, etc)

Posted By: tommer12
Date Posted: June-11-2014 at 4:45pm
I had a similar problem with my 92. Depending on where you are, ethanol is the devil with these carbs I have found. If you have gas older than 30 days, it will cause odd problems with the idle and probably holeshot.   It will dry out the accelerator pump among other things.   You will basically spend every weekend tweaking it a little more, then its fine.. then 2 weeks later, it acts odd again.   I used the same Carb and it was great. Had it rebuilt and was fine.   I think the big power change is replacing the stock heads with GT40. I could tell a big difference.    You also have a ProTech on that boat. It will eventually go out. You may get a little better out of the holeshot on mechanically system (skidim sells it). To be honest, i never switched it over because it still work when I had it. I had a four blade prop and it was great out of the hole. Top end drops a little, but to be honest, I never ran it wide open anyways.

Also remember, older brass props will come out of pitch, even if you never hit anything with it. They flex over time and need to be tuned. Personally, buy a new prop and throw the old one in a bag with a puller as a spare.

You check the timing on it as well. Even though the protect does timing, its base could be off slightly. Its pretty simple to time it and adjust the Protech electronic distributor by losing the bolts and turning it left or right to advance or retard it slightly. As with any advice.. proceed with caution.

Good luck

-------------
84 SN, 92 SNOB, 2005 SANTE 2006 SN 206

Print Page | Close Window