Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33982
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:43pm

Topic: 1973 Southwind purchase 20'
Posted By: booie
Subject: 1973 Southwind purchase 20'
Date Posted: June-26-2014 at 10:43pm
I am in the final faze of my due diligence on the boat. She has a 1973 440/330hp chrysler motor. Had the compression check today and the results were on the left bank: 112,102,105,108.   Right bank: 107,98,100,118.

The motor shows 855 hours on the meter. I am looking for someone who might have some insight on these ratios? Any help would be nice.

Thanks.
Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Replies:
Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:21am
The numbers seem a little on the low side. As comparison, I just checked the compression on my '68 F250's 390 (warmed up). The compression numbers were in the 120-140 psi range.

Question: Was the engine warmed up when your mechanic did the check, or was it cold. If cold, the numbers will be lower. But, as long as all your numbers show no more than ~10 difference, then you should be fine. I would say your numbers look like they are pretty good. Let us know if the engine was warm or cold.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:25am
Use the info for some price negotiation.    If this boat is the right one, grab it & do an engine rebuild project with your kids a few years from now.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 12:37am
I will get the info from the mechanic tomorrow. I was not present at the time.

Thanks again.

Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 3:07pm
The motor compression test was done with the motor cold. They are sending over the picture of the engine tag to see what model and rotation She has.

They said it was within their 15% range of each cylinder. 98? compression?
What do you think?

Thanks.
Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 4:02pm
I think it will run for a long time as is, certainly won't mind 87 octane.

Go for it!

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:28pm
If your mechanic checked the compression cold, those numbers will come way up when its closer to operating temp. Things will seal up better.

I say buy that sexy beast! The only downside to the boat is you will probably be stopped by a lot of people wanting to ask you about it. It will become your ambassador of goodwill. And, for the price the seller wants....jump on it!

Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:35pm
I just got off the phone with the owner and it is a done deal!!!! Thanks to you guys! He told me new battery two weeks ago and boat cover, bronze prop, new interior last year, trailer was powder coated.

Nice honest man. Mechanic said they were several new parts, electrical stuff. He said it could use some spark plugs.

I am excited!

Thanks.
Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Date Posted: June-27-2014 at 10:45pm
I just the info off of the motor tag.

Model M440 BWR 1/49

Serial # E-193252

Part # 5/16

Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Date Posted: June-28-2014 at 3:52am
Congratulations Bruce! Welcome to Correct Craft ownership. I am very excited for you. Can't wait to see more pictures or videos. Keep us posted as the deal progresses. That deal was a no brainer! You have a true classic at a great price.

Date Posted: June-28-2014 at 1:16pm
It was a great deal for the boat. It was the type of classic I was looking for and seeing the value and care the owners had taken to keep Her together for 40+ years is nice.

I will post pictures when I have Her in the driveway so to speak.

Thanks.

Bruce.

-------------
Bruce Manchan

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: June-28-2014 at 2:09pm
Welcome Bruce. I think you will have a great time for what you have invested. Looking foward to more pic's

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window