Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34086
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 10:55am

Topic: Fish Nautique, resurrection
Posted By: DayTony
Subject: Fish Nautique, resurrection
Date Posted: July-07-2014 at 11:33pm
This isn't going to be as nice of a fish as some of the fish threads you have seen but i figured i would update things as I fix them because i know being an owner of one its nice to see other ones, in good or bad shape.
I know, i posted that i was going to repower this fish a couple months ago, and I am glad i didn't. I'm much happier having both the barefoot and the fish at the same time. I can deal with going slow on the fish now that i have the BFN for the lakes.
But having two older boats is proving to be one headache after another haha.
Last year I got this boat and it was a mess, It has been a painful and bloody process at times, but she is getting there. the main goal has been to mechanically fix what needed to be done before digging into any cosmetic stuff.
Last year she got some leaks patched on the heat exchanger, a new intake and carburetor, upgraded rudder, some upgraded fuel system components and trim tabs repaired. That was enough to get me through the season.
this season began with a fresh set of manifolds and risers. new plugs, new water pump, fresh oil and filter NAPA (20-50)
The Previous owner clearly got some kind of deal on his manifold setup when he did it because he completely changed over from the factory style and went with a double stack riser and mercruiser style mixing elbow with two horrible elbows leading to the mufflers.( see pictures) I changed back to factory PCM style. Which meant I had to do a lot of re-plumbing as well since she is fresh water cooled in the manifolds.But it has definitely freed up some HP and it looks MUCH cleanerer.
I removed the fuel tank and put new mounts in, new hoses, vents and filler neck. as well as installed a blower.
I took her out this past weekend and was very pleased for the most part. I had a few issues come up, one was solved quickly because i had knocked the choke into the on position. no problem.
other than my usual complaint for lack of speed, I would really like to have another 5MPH
(28MPH @4400RPM WOT)

The only other problem which i still have not figured out but i have an idea, is a stalling issue once engine has been run for a while.
THE COIL is about a million degrees after running for a while. The weird thing is that It will run perfect at a higher rpm, so as soon as i brought it down to idle speeds it got about 100 yards and died with no chance of re-starting. We put a bag of ice on the coil and shut off all the ignition and it re-started after 10-15 minutes.
I was going to purchase a coil from NAPA and give that a try next weekend. The wiring on this boat has been a little bastardized over the years and the resistor has since been removed and bypassed, so 12v is going straight to the coil as of now, so i was going to buy a internally resistor style coil. I am not sure what style the current one is. so maybe that is my whole problem?
some pictures of the progress.
here is the old manifold setup

With the factory risers, I will get better pictures of this new setup.

looks a little out of place on the lakes

Replies:
Posted By: HatterBee
Date Posted: July-08-2014 at 10:05am
Nice! I like those Fish-Tiques. I know what you mean by having two older boats. I have just finished a '77 SN rebuild and I also have a '78 Aquasport 20' Center Console I am constantly doing work to.

Please keep us updated on the progress!

-------------
1977 Ski Nautique
Under Re-construction

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25004&title=1977-ski-nautique-rebuild" rel="nofollow - My Rebuild Thread

Print Page | Close Window