Print Page | Close Window

1988 Martinique - 351W - rotation question?

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: Repairs and Maintenance
Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34149
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 10:46am

Topic: 1988 Martinique - 351W - rotation question?
Posted By: Slupe
Subject: 1988 Martinique - 351W - rotation question?
Date Posted: July-15-2014 at 4:01pm
Hi guys - I haven't been out here for a while, but here's my situation.

I am having a hard start issue.   The boat barely cranks.   I checked the battery and all the cables and those are good. Some searching points me to the starter beginning to fail, giving similar systems to a weak battery. I had some starter issues when I first purchased the boat two years ago, so I think I am on borrowed time.

The boat is at the cottage and I am not.   Do I need a RH or LH rotation starter?

Thanks,
Andy

Replies:
Posted By: oldcuda
Date Posted: July-15-2014 at 6:01pm
That's a RH starter do yourself a big favor and purchase from marine supply.The guy at auto parts store will seem like he knows what you need but he most likely doesn't.Covered here many times save yourself lots of problems and trips back to store.

Posted By: MustangMadness
Date Posted: July-15-2014 at 8:11pm
If you look at the motor from the drivers seat and engine cover is raised, then when you try to start and it rotates to the left (CCW) it is a RH rotation motor (as viewed from the rear or aft)... anti-automotive rotation.

-------------
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-15-2014 at 8:34pm
If you buy a new starter, don't throw the old one away. It can be rebuilt.    Someone on the site will take it off your hands if you want to sell it.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Print Page | Close Window