Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34221
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 8:37am

Topic: Starter Relay Question
Posted By: Jimn
Subject: Starter Relay Question
Date Posted: July-23-2014 at 3:28am
1990 Sport Nautique, Ford 351. I know this is pretty basic, but appreciate any help. After running fine for years, my starter relay began the notorious clicking. Battery fine, connections fine. I bought a new marine relay, and replaced it, wire for wire on each of the four posts. Now it won't even click! I turn the key to start and nothing. Again, fully charged battery, all connections appear solid. With key turned to on (not start), I have power at both the "I" and "S" posts. Shouldn't there be power only at the "I" post and none at the "S" post, as the "S" post needs to wait for the key to be turned to start?

Many thanks in advance for your time!

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-25-2014 at 12:37pm
Any pics?

Actually, with the key turned only to ON (not to start) you should have power only to the big B post.

When you turn the Key to Start, the S and the I terminals will get energized. Usually PCM didn't use the I terminal though.

So, one of two things happened or both:
1.) You have the wrong relay. I think your quickest path to fixing this is to grab the correct relay from a PCM parts supplier. There are subtle variations that might not be readily apparent. One of these variations is some of the other relays have a Ground post, a PCM relay grounds by using the body of the solenoid.

2.) You may have connected your battery cable to to the S post instead of the B post.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-25-2014 at 12:42pm
Yes, what Brian sez
And also consider the relay grounding is it is not actuating

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: TX Foilhead
Date Posted: July-25-2014 at 1:22pm
I've been through a few the last few years and they have all needed a ground wire to one of the mounting bolts. It needs to be pretty hearty as well, I tried a 12ga because I had it laying around and bubbled the insulation pretty good the first start.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-25-2014 at 4:45pm
I have seen a few bad relays out of the box.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window