Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34275
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 6:37am

Topic: Pertronix Confussion
Posted By: sam57
Subject: Pertronix Confussion
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:39am
I'm getting a Pertronix conversion kit for my 1977 Southwind with a PCM 351 engine. Do I, or don't I get the Pertronix coil, and what about the ballast resistor?

Sam

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:29pm
Don't get the coil,the resistor or the Pertronix kit either

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 12:36pm
Buy a new set of points, lube the cam block well & they will last longer than the Pertronix.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 2:12pm
Funny, I was thinking along those same lines after reading some of the horror stories in other posts.

Sam

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 2:56pm
+1 ^^^

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Buy a new set of points, lube the cam block well & they will last longer than the Pertronix.

I agree. Keep the point set. What do you expect to gain with the conversion??? Hopefully nothing because that's all you will get. In fact, the conversion is unreliable so you are going backwards!!   

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:06pm
My engine breaks-up after half hour or so running time. I've replaced points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs, with no improvement, could it be the coil? If I replace the coil would I use a 12 volt external resistor type?

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-30-2014 at 11:50pm
You say it breaks up after an hour of running time. But then, it's fine after it cools off?

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 1:22am
I didn't try starting til the next day, was difficult to get running but eventually smoothed out. The same thing happens every time I take it out.

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 2:14am
Probably the coil.

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:43am
Thanks to everyone for the help and advice. I'll change the coil today and hope for the best.

Sam

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:52am
Call Zach, I think you want a 9V coil.

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 11:53am
Gap the points and check dwell. Confirm the Ballast resistor is working properly and install a new 12V externally resisted coil. Once you have confirmed that the ballast resistor is wired and working properly crank it up and set the timing around 8-10 BTDC at idle. Ignore the 6 Degree decal on the engine. It makes them lazy and they don't start as briskly.

After that if everything else is in check, kick back, grab a beer, and enjoy the sounds coming from your newly discovered talent in setting up a points ignition system.

Also, lubricate and confirm the ignition advance in the distributor is working as it should.

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 12:03pm
HW is correct but in todays world they usually say 12V externally resisted.

Coils were designed to operate with 6v systems. Instead of developing new technology in the 50s to make them operate on 12v they just threw in an inline resister to bring the voltage to coil down.

People always wire the ignition conversions improperly and overheat the non internally resisted coils. They will actually run for quite a while before they start showing symptoms.

-------------

Date Posted: July-31-2014 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I agree. Keep the point set. What do you expect to gain with the conversion???

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:11pm
Is there a particular brand of coil I should buy, or will a generic from Auto Zone do?

Sam

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by sam57 sam57 wrote:

Is there a particular brand of coil I should buy, or will a generic from Auto Zone do?

Sam

Most here seem to recommend the MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8222/" rel="nofollow - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8222/

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 12:31pm
And keep the wiring the same (use the ballast resistor) with that coil

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:18pm
I have a MSD coil on another PCM 351 engine. The coil is a Blaster 2, number PN 8202. But, I've never run the engine and don't know if the coil is any good. Is there any way to test the coil, or just try it and see if the problem is corrected?

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:36pm
I have the 8202 on my 351, even layed on its side (no no for oil filled) and been running fine the last 13 years, probably longer with the previous owner.

If your old coil is too hot to touch when your boat stops running it is likely bad.

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:58pm
Thanks, I'll give it a go.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 6:12pm
You say that Kevin but when you really think about it PCM has been putting them on their sides forever. I think the problem starts when people change things on the cheap or think they are improving items that I'm sure that PCM spent some money on doing R&D

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 6:13pm
Yep, all the original oil filled coils I've seen in the 80s PCMs have been mounted the same, sideways...

That's not to say I wouldn't buy the epoxy filled coil #8222 if I were replacing one today.

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by sam57 sam57 wrote:

I have a MSD coil on another PCM 351 engine. The coil is a Blaster 2, number PN 8202. But, I've never run the engine and don't know if the coil is any good. Is there any way to test the coil, or just try it and see if the problem is corrected?

Yes, You need an Ohm meter. Values can be Googled.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-13-2014 at 10:34pm
Finally able to get back to my Southwind. Installed the MSD coil, re-set the points and fired it up. Ran it hard (3600 RPM) for 15 minutes, then idled around for an hour. The engine didn't break-up like it did before changing the coils, but ran a bit rough during the high speed and the idling. Not bad, but noticeable. The coil was very warm, but not too hot to touch. Could the roughness be from not re-timing after setting the points? What should the timing be set at?

Date Posted: August-13-2014 at 11:11pm
Roughness can be from many different causes, timing is one of them. Set the timing to between 8-10 deg before TDC. Also check so see that the advance is working - it should be advancing by 1500 & be at full timing by 4000 RPM.

If it is still rough after verifying timing, pull plug wires off (gloves recomended) 1 at a time to see which cly is weak.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-13-2014 at 11:46pm
What do you mean by "which cylinder is weak"? Do I check the advance by revving with the timing light connected?

Date Posted: August-14-2014 at 11:00am
Yes, check the advance by reving the engine. A second person is handy to run the throttle & target the RPM. If you really want to do it right, get a degree tape (although I just measured 10 degree increments with calipers & scribed lines) so you know exactly how much advance you are getting.

If the engine is running rough & it is not because of ignition timing, then it is likely that 1 or more cylinders is not firing cleanly (or at all). So by pulling a plug wire while idling, you can hear the engine's response to the loss of power. A strong cylinder will drop RPM noticibly, while a weak cylinder will have little or no effect.

If you do find a weak cylinder, then you can investigate why (plug, wire, compression, etc).

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-24-2014 at 5:41pm
Hi guys,
I did everything you guys suggested and still had the problem, so I threw up my hands and took the boat to a former Correct Craft dealer. After checking everything electrical, they discovered the floats in the Holley were set without taking into consideration the engine sits at an angle and they re-set them and the boat runs perfect. The cost, $83.
I've learned my lesson, NO MORE PLAYING MECHANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for their input,

Sam

PS The name of the shop is Back Bay Marine, Akron OH. owner Doug Hall

Posted By: boardersdad
Date Posted: August-25-2014 at 12:16am
83 bucks?

Buy that man a beer.

No, buy him a case.

Print Page | Close Window