Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34296
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 8:39am

Topic: white and dark smoke behind boat
Posted By: wakespirit
Subject: white and dark smoke behind boat
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:03pm
Dear all,

I have an issue with my ski nautique correct craft of 1990.
It has a PCM FORD engine and a HOLLEY carburator.
During the last 3years I have a peoblem I am not able to splve on my boat, hoping you can help me.

When my boat is in Idle speed, I have a big amount of white smoke at the back of the boat, and when I start to put some gaz, I am big dark smoke.

I could not solve that problem. I have been told it could be a too rich fuel coming in the carburetor but i have no experience to know exactly.

I have seen that on the HOLLEY carburator there is 1 screw on each side to addjust idle fuel mixture.

Could it be that?

If yes how can I adjust those correctly

Thanks for help
Regards

Replies:
Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:10pm
You should find a Holley book or manual before making any adjustments, or find a mechanic who will tune the carb on the water, not his workbench.

-------------

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:12pm
Youz think this could be a carburator trouble this white and dark smoke ?

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:18pm
The air adjustment on the sides, screw in till it runs rough (starts to die down)and the back out a turn and a half.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:22pm
Yes. Since your boat is a 90 and if it still has the original carb on it, it could be a bad power valve. It wasn't until 92ish that there was a check valve installed to prevent backfires from damaging the power valve. You can check for that by turning those idle screws in,if it stalls the valve is good. If it keeps running that's your trouble.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:36pm
When you said screw in idle screw, should o screw in both side at same time?

Or how do i know that both screw have same turn ? Should i screw them in fully ?

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:37pm
There are a myriad of possible reasons why a carb might have unresponsive idle mixture screws- blown PV is not the only one. I would not make a single carb adjustment until you have tuned up the ignition and set the dwell (if equipped with points) and timing. Once that is done, move on to the carb. If it went from running well to smokey rich all of a sudden, it's quite possible it needs to be rebuilt.

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:37pm
What to do then in case when screw them in the motor keeps running? I need to change all carburator?

Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:40pm
Sorry forgot to ask.
Does this ossue could be the result also of caughting engine at idle and slow speed as i try to explain here :
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34297&title=engine-caugthing-at-idle-and-low-speed

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-01-2014 at 5:59pm
Being in France it would be easier IMHO to try and see if turning both screws does anything. Count the turns in and when done put them back the same number of turns. Then get back to us with the results. If you need to place an overseas order it may save you some time and expense ordering once. I agree to check what Tim says but being where you are you could loose the rest of the summer.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-02-2014 at 7:48am
Does it exist some second hand or recondition hooley carburator?
It is a quite expensive piece I guess.
How much does tha part could cost ?
Regards

Posted By: CrazyCanuck
Date Posted: August-02-2014 at 6:49pm
I bought my Carb from an auto parts store (Lordco) and it is from a rebuild company that sell reconditioned units as new. My carb is a Holley 4160, but from Autoline its a Cm-703. Saved me hundreds and worked great out of the box with no adjustments needed.
I don't know if they ship overseas, but worth a look.
www.autoline.ca

-------------
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g

Date Posted: August-03-2014 at 9:01am
Hello gary,
When you said to screw in mixture screw, what is note clear for me is how then engine should be during that time?

Meaning, do I simple start the engine at the shore and place throttle in idle position or should I ride on the water at a certain speed and have an other person tuning the screw while I am driving ?

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: August-03-2014 at 2:15pm
If you purchase a new carb, be sure to purchase a marine carb and not an automotive carb. National Carb in Jacksonville, Florida sells remanufactured and tested carbs for $250 US. I believe that this is with an exchange. Marine Carb Specialities in Wilimington, NC also can do a remanufacture and bench test for $400.00. YOu can purchase a new carb for www.skidim.com (Discount inboard marine) with a 20% discount code for $585.00 US.

You may have fuel dripping into the front and rear barrels when you shut the motor off. This can cause black smoke. I just went through this process and in hind-site I should of purchased a new carb from the start. Sometimes you rebuild you old carb and the parts are so worn out that you can not bring it back to specifications. I had my carb remanufactured and I now believe that it is back up to spec.

Date Posted: August-03-2014 at 2:40pm
Hello,

Just come back from my boat to check.
I notice 2 things :

1- I notice a fuel linkage at carburator fuel inlet
2- my screw actual position are 1 turn CCW.
3- if I screw in fully both screw, the engine still run. According to garry it should not when both screw are filly tight in.

Any advise, after solving linkage of course

Regards

Print Page | Close Window