Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34662
Printed Date: October-08-2024 at 6:31am

Topic: Flywheel replacement
Posted By: sandbar53
Subject: Flywheel replacement
Date Posted: September-21-2014 at 8:35pm
I bought a '91 Nautique Excel. Starter is grinding. I removed the inspection plate and found many teeth missing off the flywheel. Not good! Someone replaced the starter and it was loose. When I tightened it, it helped the grinding but damage was done. Teeth were probably missing before they replaced the starter thinking that was going to fix it. I am going to replace the flywheel myself. Any tips? Open for suggestions.

-------------
Rick

Replies:
Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: September-21-2014 at 8:39pm
No need to replace the whole flywheel,just replace the ring gear, do a search to find out which one to use

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Ninety8NeonACR
Date Posted: September-21-2014 at 8:39pm
I just replaced the ring gear on my 82. Just had to pull the transmission and bell housing. Only cost me $20 and a few hours of my time.

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: September-22-2014 at 2:52pm
Call me if you'd like to order one sir.

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: September-22-2014 at 3:06pm
The V-drive is a little harder, i suspect the engine is what you wish to move instead.
but throw a fresh dampner on while you are at it.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: September-22-2014 at 4:36pm
I would just yank it all and split it on the floor.

-------------

Posted By: skicat
Date Posted: September-22-2014 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

I would just yank it all and split it on the floor.

Sounds like a Hollywood quote to me!

-------------
Greg

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2427&yrstart=1981&yrend=1985" rel="nofollow - 86 BFN

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: September-22-2014 at 5:28pm
haha where's Don at? He's the only one I can think of that has done this but from what I know pulling the whole unit sounds best. Maybe Jodi can shed some light?

-------------
Brian

Date Posted: September-24-2014 at 8:31pm
I want to disassemble as little as possible to get to the flywheel. Also, once I remove the flywheel how do you get the old ring gear off and the new one on? Thanks

-------------
Rick

Posted By: MustangMadness
Date Posted: September-25-2014 at 12:16am
Disconnect the prop shaft @ the coupling, the shift cable and coolant hoses to the transmission cooler, and support the engine at the rear so you can remove the Vdrive and the bell housing and then the flywheel. Heat the ring gear with a torch. It should just about fall off before you get it too hot. Heat the new ring gear enough to drop onto the fly wheel. Reverse steps and check shaft alignment.

-------------
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH

Date Posted: September-25-2014 at 5:39pm
Can I remove the V-drive with the bell housing as an assembly, or should I split it? Also, to remove the transmission mount, is it ok to just unbolt the mount from the V-drive? Or should I remove the whole mount?   Thanks

-------------
Rick

Print Page | Close Window