Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34731
Printed Date: June-21-2024 at 3:59pm

Topic: lifting a 93 SN off the ground
Posted By: aupatking
Subject: lifting a 93 SN off the ground
Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 11:57am
I found a nautique that floated off it's trailer and is sitting on it's side, held up by the trailer tire. It doesn't appear any of the running gear has been damaged, but to move it, will put that in jeopardy. Any ideas how to save it?

Replies:
Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:33pm
A photo would help, but from the description it sounds like you need something that can attach to the lifting eyes and pull it straight up. Might be a good job for a crane or perhaps a tow truck could do it. Is it still attached to the trailer at all?

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:41pm
If it's on it's side, use the rings like Kevin mentioned and possibly strap and wrap hull from pylon to prevent twisting until it's clear of all obstacles.

Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 12:59pm
I'll work on getting some photos. I have a front end loader that I can lift it with, but the bucket is only 8 feet wide. I was worried about the bucket being far too narrow and pulling the eyes toward each other, rather than up. Actually, that is my main concern, even if I get a couple tow trucks to lift it. I'm going to block under the high side and the bow. The bow eye (that attaches to the trailer) is still attached to the trailer. I'll document the process.

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 2:30pm
Make a spreader bar out of an I beam or perhaps the person with the tow truck or crane has one.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: October-05-2014 at 7:30pm
Can you just lift the stern? I would think that the bow will take care of itself, esp if tied down.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: October-06-2014 at 5:35pm
It is going to want to twist (on to the running gear) when you initially lift it, I like the idea of a stack of tires under the opposite side that it is leaning on, right up close to the running gear. This way when you start to lift, it will hopefully roll onto the tires (and not onto the running gear). You only need this until the boat rights itself. I also am not sure if tires will actually work, you may need some actual boat jacks. As Chris said, you really only need to lift the stern, as it will pivot on the V of the bow. Lift the stern, set on two stands (or a cradle or piles of tires), then re-position and lift the bow, set on stand or trailer, etc.

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: October-07-2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Make a spreader bar out of an I beam or perhaps the person with the tow truck or crane has one.

I agree with Gary, that's what I'd do, lets you pick the boat completely clear so you can re-position the trailer if needed, or put the boat on blocks.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:27am
I don't know how to add pictures. Any help?

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:34am
I'm not much use on this because I know more about the female brain than I do computers but one way to do it is save image to your desktop. Then go to the "post reply" section (not quick reply) and you'll see an image of a globe with an a arrow on it, click it then type in file name and vola. Images can't be large or it'll boot it out. There's many other ways to do it but this is the easiest to me and the only way I know.

Edit- image of tree, not globe.

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 9:29am
How to post pics:

Begin by clicking the Upload Image box:

Click the BROWSE button in the pop up window to find the file on your computer:

Once the file is attahced it will display the file name next to the BROWSE button. Then click OK:

You will then get a pop up window telling you to be patient while the photo is being uploaded. Click OK:

You will now see the window in the second pic above. If you want to post more pics, repeat steps 2-4.

If you're done, click CANCEL.

Hope this helps.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:23pm

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:31pm
so you just found a boat in the woods?

-------------

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 1:43pm
Shelby, is that you?

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Sometimes you just can't sell a purple boat so you end up just walking away

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Sometimes you just can't sell a purple boat so you end up just walking away

ROFL!!! Only in Alabama. I gotta tell ya though, I absolutely love it.

Can't wait to see this one returned to glory, it has a great beginning!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:49pm
uuuh and there's no explanation how you accomplished the task??? Throw us a bone here Bama...
Was this thing in a flood or hurricane?
"You know a boat that floats off of it's trailer can be heard in the woods" LMAO..

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 2:52pm
Dave - it looks like (in picture 5) they used the lever method...

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 3:13pm
Not exactly "just found" it. The guy is selling the property that it's on. The property has been for sale for a few years. A year or so ago a friend was looking at the land and told me about the boat, sitting, wasting away. I tried then to buy the boat but keeping in contact with the owner was difficult. Also at that time, the boat was still on the trailer. We had a major flood in July, and it washed the boat off the trailer, luckily causing no visible damage. I went by last month, looking into buying a lot and saw her sitting on the ground. It broke my heart. I have no need or desire for a project but I couldn't leave it there to die. I dug out around the gear, jacked it up, cribbed it in,jacked it up, cribbed it in again. The post was slid underneath the bow to incrementally turn it away from the pine tree that had it jailed. Blocked that up, pulled the trailer out, then back under it, unblocking and reblocking along the way

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:27pm
....and then after lunch....

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

....and then after lunch....

Quick wipe down, launch, and got a few slalom sets in.

Pat, nice work getting it up and out without more damage! I'm hoping you get a pleasant surprise that the drivetrain and wiring are all unharmed, and you are just faced with a big cleanup and interior work.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 5:41pm
Well, about that.....
I've got the best interior guy I've met that did my 98. The engine however, is an issue. The guy told me the block is cracked. Don't know exactly what that means yet. Excited to find out😝

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 5:57pm
That would be the first ever cracked block in Alabama?

-------------

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:01pm
Nah. I read somewhere there are more cracked blocks in the south because of the lack of preparedness and neglect.

-------------

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:03pm
Interesting, didn't think Alabama ever got cold enough. And, no other signs of neglect on that boat, are there????????

-------------

Posted By: Treybizttu
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 6:17pm

Nah. I read somewhere there are more cracked blocks in the south because of the lack of preparedness and neglect.

Wouldn't surprise me. I see at least a half dozen cracked something every spring at the ramp in our neighborhood. (It's not a busy ramp). People just don't think it gets cold enough I guess. My dad still thinks i'm nuts for doing it every year.

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 7:50pm
Yeah, it's funny in a very unfunny way, but I winterize my boat about 6 times a winter. It get's down into the 20's for a couple days, then warms back up to the 60's so I plug everything back up and go ski. It also leads to a large number of near sinkings from missing a connection or forgotten fitting.

Posted By: Airfooter
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by aupatking aupatking wrote:

Yeah, it's funny in a very unfunny way, but I winterize my boat about 6 times a winter. It get's down into the 20's for a couple days, then warms back up to the 60's so I plug everything back up and go ski. It also leads to a large number of near sinkings from missing a connection or forgotten fitting.

I would definitely be investing in ball valves to drain the water if I were in your situation. Skidim has them if you haven't seen them before, or if you don't want to put your own set together. It might take care of your near sinkings.... If you remember to close them...

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM001" rel="nofollow - http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MCM001

-------------
1992 Nautique Excel

Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 10:33pm
I didn't mean i was having a near sinking, I'd never forget! I was, of course, talking about other people.
I will be checking out your link. Thank you

Posted By: 75 Tique
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:00pm
I didnt winterize last year, but I did drain after every use. A buddy of mine cracked his block here in NC a few years ago. I believe he went through some winterizing motions, but not the full deal. Costly mistake. Can't be too careful.

-------------

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:34pm
I still can't believe SkiDIM pushes those quick drain valves. 1 out of every 4 drain plugs I pull is stopped up at least partially... How do you probe with one of those valves in place? It takes 2 minutes to drain all the water "the hard way", sheesh.

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I'm not much use on this because I know more about the female brain than I do computers but

been married to Ms Patti for 39 years this fall and still know less about females than I do computers.....and we all know what the level of my computer skill is.

this thread is even better than a 'barn find'

'honey..I bought you a nice piece of property and oh by the way there is a boat sitting there..just needs a little work'

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: Airfooter
Date Posted: October-15-2014 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I still can't believe SkiDIM pushes those quick drain valves. 1 out of every 4 drain plugs I pull is stopped up at least partially... How do you probe with one of those valves in place? It takes 2 minutes to drain all the water "the hard way", sheesh.

That's why I put my own together. I have 1/2" ball valves on the exhaust manifolds, 1/4" in the block, and no hose barbs. Debris was a concern when I installed them...

-------------
1992 Nautique Excel

Date Posted: October-16-2014 at 12:43am
Haha, yeah, I had to come up with "the plan" for this boat before I could even tell her I got it. I was a little scared. I'm still expecting a water moccasin to come out of it at any moment. Seriously. I didn't mention, I'm still on crutches from slalom boots not releasing, after 4 months, so her love for ski boats is probably at an all time low.
It was a long day picking it up, but I'm just so excited. I'm giving it to my uncle for a project for him and his boys, and grand boys. His oldest was a hell of a slalom skier and I need another nautique out there with us to ski behind. Even if I have to do most of it myself

Posted By: Capn Dan
Date Posted: October-16-2014 at 10:07am

Ok hopefully yall can see these photos. If not I am sure you will let me know. The engine as I bought it started pumping oil into the bilge. After a lot of research I decided to pull the engine and took it to a local machine shop in Anderson, SC. A 79 year old mechanic DeWitt Walls, tore the engine down and found the culpret to be bad rings. No damage to the engine. He also found the engine had been balanced, was bored 60 over and was in really good shape. All new bearings, new oil pump and shaft and of course all new gaskets and seals. She has electronic ignition and the intake was changed from the old two carb setup (still have it) to a single Holley four barrel. She will still hit 43 MPH and get there pretty quick.

-------------
Capn Dan

Date Posted: October-16-2014 at 10:12am
Thats a nice 1st gen ski! So happy there is another one out there!

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: October-16-2014 at 11:13am
Beautiful boat Sir!

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: October-17-2014 at 2:05am
Originally posted by aupatking aupatking wrote:

I didn't mention, I'm still on crutches from slalom boots not releasing, after 4 months, so her love for ski boats is probably at an all time low.

holy cow....and you did all this jackin' and liftin' work? Wow..impressed.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-17-2014 at 9:47am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I still can't believe SkiDIM pushes those quick drain valves.

Plus 1

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: October-17-2014 at 1:34pm
Like I said, I wanted the boat. . Maybe I should have said, I really wanted the boat! lol
That was my dream boat as a kid. I went to the masters that year and watched my heroes skiing behind it. Now, it obviously wasn't the tournament boat itself, but I still couldn't leave her there.

Print Page | Close Window