Print Page | Close Window

Florida foot line

Printed From: CorrectCraftFan.com
Category: General Correct Craft Discussion
Forum Name: Ski, Ride and Foot Talk
Forum Discription: Share photos, techniques, discuss equipment, etc.
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35212
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 4:18pm

Topic: Florida foot line
Posted By: backfoot100
Subject: Florida foot line
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 1:33am
We've had some vistors over the holidays. In fact we've been really busy down here. Family and friends have been plentiful for the last few weeks and it's been a pleasure to experience. That what the holidays are for.

As many of you know, I rebuilt my motor a couple years ago. My vision when I researched the parts list and built it was to be able to do at least 5 man deepwater starts and then still have enough snort left on the top end for all five guys to be able to do one foots. Not an impossible task but certainly not your every day garden variety rebuild either. In my own feeble, somewhat limited mindset, a tournament inboard with those capabilities is a pretty rare bird.

For the last couple of years I've been racking my brain to figure out what was needed to even attempt this feat without looking like a complete moron. Ropes and handles of equal length or even reasonably close is a lot harder to get than you might think. I have three ropes (two of which are very old school and way different lengths) and have to use an assortment of twinks, extensions and handles to get the three of them within a foot of each other. New ropes are probably a whole lot closer in length but I still can't afford to just go out and buy five new ropes and handles.

So you get the rope/handle combinations figured out and the next thing is the skiers. Anyone who has ever tried deepwater starts with any more than two or three bodies knows full well that the natural reaction of ropes coming tight when attached to a central pulling point such as a pylon, bodies start bumping and banging into each other and at that point it's purely survival of the fittest! So what can I do to minimize this? Simple....two booms right? Again, you have the monetary thing that comes into play which just isn't happening for this experiment. Then again, everybody has a boom right? Much easier said than done. Maybe when you have a group of CCFans with relatively close year or model of CC. No problem.
When you have an American Skier the distance between pylon and bow eye can make for some pretty extreme boom cable changes which may/may not be that easy to do for something like this. Trust me, I've tried.

So this weekend the planets aligned...ropes, handles, skiers, booms weather...the perfect storm.

Here's what I ended up with thanks to Seacamper and JBear. We were able to get the inside portion of Tom's boom and height adjuster matched with JBears outside portion of his boom which just so happen to fit perfectly.

Then we found some skiers....
Left to right: JBear, My good buddy from WI Mike, Seacamper's son Thomas, Diana and Rob Kadansky and finally the CCFan world traveler HW.

At this point I have a really big lump in my throat knowing that I'm actually about to find out if my vision and dream motor has paid off or falls flat on it's face!!!
We started with four man flyers seeing as the boat in factory form could pull three but it struggled and only topped out at about 38 or 39 MPH. I was much relieved when four was successful but when I throttled up, the stern wanted to walk straight to the right side but then finally hooked up and was pretty much effortless after that. Then we tried a four man deepwater which was actually easier than the flyer. No weird sideways walk of the stern with the throttle. Maybe in hind site, I may have been pulling a little off to one side from the skiers which pulled the stern to the right. It didn't really happen after that. I wasn't WFO on either run so I knew there was something left in the tank.
So we added a fifth and did a flyer which was also a success but the boat struggled. Then we did the same five guys deepwater and again, much easier than the flyer and pretty much effortless for the boat although I had it pretty much WFO. Then we realize that the two observers in the boat have pics but no video. We gave the guys a break and got the video phones ready to roll and went out and did it again.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o131/backfoot100/VID_20141228_150034_zpsvhgi2acx.mp4" rel="nofollow">

As you can see, I'm a pretty happy camper. I know that everyone wasn't doing one foots but 42MPH is more than enough for me to do ones and toe holds so I know I accomplished what I set out to accomplish. I really think it would pull six. It would struggle, but if the skiers really straighten out and wait for speed before trying to sit up, it could be done. We needed another rope and a little more time available but everyone agrees it could be done.

Special thanks to Seacamper and Mrs. Seacamper for letting us invade their space once again. Really cool people. I know there are other pics and vids that may find their way here but I gotta tell you, it was really awesome. Thanks guys for the assist!!!!!!

Now, I need some victims for a backdeep line. HW and I have done it several times. We need some more takers.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Replies:
Posted By: NCH20SKIER
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 10:22am
The 5 deep sure looked pretty effortless on the boat

-------------
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 10:43am
Ha, that's pretty sweet. I'm surprised the holeshot looked that effortless- that's a lot of bodies to pull out of the water with just one prop, regardless of how much hp you've got! 42mph is no joke... Nice to see a plan come together like that! I'm guessing you didn't prop down based on the mph/rpm... Even more impressive. Next time line up 6-7 bodies and throw a 541 or 543 on there!

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 10:43am
awesome!

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 11:25am
Very Kool for Sure!! Having driven that beast my money would have bet on success! What a great way to spend the Christmas holiday, thanks for sharing!

Posted By: IAughtNaut
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 11:50am
Eddie that's Fckn AWESOME!!! Love the video.

Wrecking Crew Re-do here I come!

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 12:47pm
by the way, wasn't it Thomas that less than a year ago you and HW were showing basic barefoot position to so he could "try" a step out on the boom? and now he's in a five man deep line?!

good work out of you Thomas, and also you're a jerk for being better than me and I started when I was your age.

-------------
bring the ruckus
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5347" rel="nofollow - 2000 Pro Air

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 12:51pm
Sweet

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by IAughtNaut IAughtNaut wrote:

by the way, wasn't it Thomas that less than a year ago you and HW were showing basic barefoot position to so he could "try" a step out on the boom? and now he's in a five man deep line?!

good work out of you Thomas, and also you're a jerk for being better than me and I started when I was your age.

That's the same one Adam. I just worked with him this weekend doing one foots too. He's a good footer.

-------------
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 3:55pm
damn kids

-------------
bring the ruckus

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 4:01pm
Eddie - that is awesome, I cringed a little when everyone came crashing together in the middle, but glad everyone survived. That boat is so strong, I wouldn't have doubted it for a second!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Posted By: Riley
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 6:13pm
Great video. That engine does not sound like it's straining at all!

Posted By: seacamper
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 6:22pm
Sweet!!

-------------
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: AAM196
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 6:41pm
nice footin... nice tug...

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:11pm
Eddie, you da man. Looks like BBB1 and 2 with that double boom!!! Heck get me behind it and you could pull 7 deep I'm tiny hahahah. That's one killer rig.

-------------

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:32pm
That Boat sounds Bad A@s !!!!

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Ha, that's pretty sweet. I'm surprised the holeshot looked that effortless- that's a lot of bodies to pull out of the water with just one prop, regardless of how much hp you've got! 42mph is no joke... Nice to see a plan come together like that! I'm guessing you didn't prop down based on the mph/rpm... Even more impressive. Next time line up 6-7 bodies and throw a 541 or 543 on there!

You are correct sir. That was with the 431. I guess I never even considered propping down. I would've lost some of my top end. Would be kinda fun to give that a go one time I suppose.

I had always envisioned five guys side-by-side all doing toe holds. Hell, I'd even take one foots. How cool of a pic would that be? At least I know if the skiers have the ability, it could be done.

-------------

Eddie

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Funny you mention that Donald. We had a guy come down to the dock (who owns a very sweet and super clean 81 BFN) who heard the first few runs and had to come down and see what was going on. He lives, as he put it " just up over the hill".

Just exactly like my sig line says

-------------

Eddie

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Funny you mention that Donald. We had a guy come down to the dock (who owns a very sweet and super clean 81 BFN) who heard the first few runs and had to come down and see what was going on. He lives, as he put it " just up over the hill".

Just exactly like my sig line says

Hey Eddie,
That was Bob Jessie, an ex Cypress Gardens skier and hang glider guy.

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 9:26pm
Nice work by all. I will volunteer to be a longline back deep victim. The sooner the better as it's supposed to be -12 degrees here tonight!

Cool video.

Date Posted: December-29-2014 at 10:01pm
Another one from the front:
http://s266.photobucket.com/user/turninggrey/media/IMG_2659.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

-------------
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
1999 Adventurecraft

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 12:41am
I cannot tell you guys how cool this was on so many levels....

2 weeks ago Eddie talked me into trying my 1st flyer in about 30 years..Sunday doing 5 man flyers..

footing next to Thomas Carlin..15 years old. Last year could barely hang onto the boom..this kid rocks Adam! He can be next to me anyday.

footing with Rob Kadansky and his awesome footin' wife Diana...she was in the 1st flyer.

footing with Big Mike ..Eddie's friend from WI.....I kinda feel like the Florida version of Mike for Eddie. Hope so anyhow.

A weekend with HW & Jakie..nuff said...

But the best of all...BY FAR..was the look of pride on Eddie's face & the excitement in his voice. Pretty happy I could be in on that.

With you & Diana I bet we could do 7 Zack.

Whata day!

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 10:24am
Awesome start, run and sound of that motor
Had to watch it again this morning while drinking coffee.....double jolt!

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 10:42am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

I guess I never even considered propping down. I would've lost some of my top end. Would be kinda fun to give that a go one time I suppose.

Propping down would compromise top end when unloaded, but with a bunch of skiers behind the boat, it's a different story. The balancing act is always to match wot rpm to where the engine makes peak power- so unless you think your hp peaks at 3800, propping down a bit should speed you up with a line of footers behind you (not to mention the holeshot benefit). The table/turbulence may get a little rougher though!

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 10:58am
I thought Eddie called 4800 RPM at 42 MPH

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 4:13pm
I bet propped down to the right spec letting it spin where it wants to be it would have no issue pulling 7 guys at at least 42 mph.

-------------

Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 5:13pm
I thought he said 3800 in the video but even at 4800, another 300-400rpm wouldn't be unwelcome! I don't know about holding that speed with 2 extra footers but I bet it'll hold footing speed!

Posted By: northcoastidol
Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 7:15pm
That's one bad ass boat you have Eddie! awesome job guys, I've always wanted to do a five or more flyer or deep, I have a few 3 man flyers does that count? sign me up for the 5 man one footer run, If I get in line now I'm sure jbear could make it happen. the boat sounds great, that was a cool video, It's to bad you did not get all of the runs!

-------------
Always be ready for a run, the water does not wait for you!

Date Posted: December-30-2014 at 8:21pm
It was indeed 42@4800. I tried to find my desktop dyno numbers for peak torque and HP but got sidetracked. I know I have it saved on my PC and will have look at that again. It might at least give some indication of what we could expect knowing WOT RPM and speed now with and without skiers in tow.

-------------

Eddie

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: December-31-2014 at 9:05pm
Cool man cool

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: January-03-2015 at 2:23pm
What fun and finally one of those 80s winter days they always talk about that I seem to always miss...

The drag wasn't bad, plenty of bumpin and grinding in the middle.

-------------

Date Posted: January-03-2015 at 2:54pm
Ain't nothin wrong

-------------

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 12:16am
Very cool to watch Eddie! Nice to see that the care you took with the engine build did the job, makes power where you wanted it to and gets the job done.

As a non-footer (yet!), curious to ask why the middle person didn't stay between the wakes?

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: LaurelLakeSkier
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 10:39am
Seeing this a little after the fact but pretty cool just the same. Looks like it was a nice pull and a great time!

-------------
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 10:43am
I'm a lil late to the party too. Guessing there's a cool video that's not coming up for me?

Posted By: jhersey29
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I'm a lil late to the party too. Guessing there's a cool video that's not coming up for me?

The third photo links to a video. The video didn't work on the phone but it did on my computer.

Posted By: jhersey29
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 11:16am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

As a non-footer (yet!), curious to ask why the middle person didn't stay between the wakes?

The water between the wakes is full of air and quite a bit harder to barefoot in. The water typically ends up as much in your face as under your feet. One footing in that fluff is pretty darn tricky.

I think backwards is a little better to one foot in the fluff and also I think barefooting in general backwards is much easier but it does take a toll on the front neck muscles when you eat it.

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: February-13-2015 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

The water between the wakes is full of air and quite a bit harder to barefoot in.

True statement with "most inboards", behind a BFN is quite different though, was surprised how nice it was back there the first time I footed behind one. Eddies boat may also be an exception to that rule.

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: February-19-2015 at 12:11am
Ok I finally found the video, nothing gets past this observant Einstein.

Yeah that was pretty bad @$$ and kinda arousing with the motor.

Date Posted: February-19-2015 at 6:52am
that may happen again soon, I would become friends with Eddie over the next two weeks...just saying

-------------
bring the ruckus

Posted By: SkiNautique4
Date Posted: February-20-2015 at 11:56am
That was amazing when all the guys got beat by Mrs. Diana. I think we all owe it to her!!!!

-------------
Patrick Carlin

Print Page | Close Window