Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Discription: Anything Correct Craft
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35547
Printed Date: September-27-2024 at 2:49pm

Topic: New '93 For the M3Fan family
Posted By: M3Fan
Subject: New '93 For the M3Fan family
Date Posted: March-15-2015 at 11:32pm

Yeah! What's better than 2 boats? THREE. Clearly! I'm very excited about this latest acquisition. It's my "unicorn" boat. A '93 SN Pro Boss with the rare white/red/white gel and red/white pin/red interior. All in immaculate condition. Everything went really smoothly in the acquisition of the boat and the boat was fairly local. I did not get a "deal" on the boat but I'm fine paying a premium to get what I actually want. Experience has taught me that getting the right thing is more important and long-lasting than getting the "deal".

Ever since my 1990 SN left the driveway 10 years ago, I've always wanted to have this hull era back in the fleet and to have it be red just tops it off that much more.

The trailer... sucks in all ways. I don't know what to tell you there. Had to McGyver the light wiring just to get it home because most of it had been eaten away by some rodent infestation in the trailer. You take the good with the bad.

This boat will replace our 83 MC at the lake house. Very, very happy to be a dual CC family. To have great examples of both a TSC1 and a NWZ hull has been a long-time goal.

Zach, this is what a REAL 93 looks like and it's also what a Pro Boss w/1:23 looks like for reference   

I could use a new set of side logo stickers and a 93 World Championship Mondial sticker if anyone has them.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Replies:
Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: March-15-2015 at 11:47pm
Outstanding.

Posted By: Fl Inboards
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 12:08am
Nice!! If you are selling that 83 MC I might have a lead for ya!

-------------
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 12:36am
Very sharp

Posted By: davidg
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 1:45am
Beautiful boat! I seem to remember that boat for sale several years ago in McHenry. If it wan't that one, it was it's evil twin. I have never seen that color combo before. Was that a special order?

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 6:03am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

Beautiful boat! I seem to remember that boat for sale several years ago in McHenry. If it wan't that one, it was it's evil twin. I have never seen that color combo before. Was that a special order?

Ding! Yes. And it was special ordered by the original owners.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: DHart
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 8:47am
Wow, looks like it just rolled off a showroom floor. Great find, congrats!

Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:08am
Sharp looking boat.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:28am
Joel - I nominate you for President of Team Red.

Very cool rig.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:38am
That is hot! I don't even know why you looked at the purple one if this condition is what you wanted ha.

-------------

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:45am
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

That is hot! I don't even know why you looked at the purple one if this condition is what you wanted ha.

I need you for hull decals so you know I'm only kidding anyway

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:57am
Wow, the fuel filter for this thing is 50 bucks! It's that white PCM one you almost never see. Ordering that along with a bunch of other tuneup stuff as we speak.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 12:25pm
So you just gonna live with the trailer since it will likely just go in/out once a season up north?

-------------

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So you just gonna live with the trailer since it will likely just go in/out once a season up north?

I certainly have to take care of the ridiculous and thick berber indoor carpet that was hastily wrapped over the old bunks and hammered in with roofing nails. Seriously one of the most half-assed things I've seen done on any vehicle.

I'll also replace the tires as these appear to be very old. Also have to redo all the wiring since something ate it all. Any ideas what tire size would go on this 14" (I think it's 14) rim?

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Treybizttu
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 12:54pm
205/75/14 or so I think.... My magnum tandem axle is 14" wheels.

And looks like a great boat!

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by Fl Inboards Fl Inboards wrote:

Nice!! If you are selling that 83 MC I might have a lead for ya!

Jody, I am and I've heard that from like 4 people now. Hoping the enthusiasm stays high for a quick sale at top dollar. It's certainly a peach.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Mojo
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 1:35pm
Nice find Joel !!! Go team red !!
Sorry to hear that that awesome MC didn't work out for ya.. Good luck with the sale. Sure looks nice !!!

Moj'

-------------
05' SV211 TE
73' Martinique
had:96' SNOB
had:76' Nautique
had 77 Tique

Posted By: Orlando76
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 1:43pm

what purple boat would that be? l Think purple is my first choice.

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 2:17pm
WOW !!!!!!!!! What a great find!!!

I hope the Team Red initiation goes well. try not to giggle during the ritual, it upsets them.

Posted By: Smithfamily
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 2:24pm
Beautiful! Best of luck with her.

-------------
Js

Posted By: Frankenotter
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 4:43pm
So jealous. What a pretty boat.

I'm happy she ended up in very capable hands.

-------------
1999 Ski Nautique 196

Posted By: dwouncmd
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 4:56pm
Wow. Jealous as usual

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6535&sort=&pagenum=2" rel="nofollow - 89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

what purple boat would that be? l Think purple is my first choice.

A neglected 93 SNOB we had traded in at N3. Decent running boat but needed a lot of love.

-------------

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 7:05pm
nice looking boat Joel!
carpet and upholstery looks like new!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 7:21pm
Joel,
When you pull it up north, just drop it off about 11 miles short of your house! I'll move the Tique out of the boathouse to make room for it. Fantastic find.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: JPASS
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 8:52pm
Congrats. She looks great.

-------------
'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

Congrats. She looks great.

I was just reading your ProTec conversion threads. What does everybody vote- Replace ProTec immediately or let it roll a while? My tach is all over the place and I'm wondering if that's something afoot with ProTec.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: skutsch
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 9:44pm
Congrats Joel, SWEET! Welcome to Team Red!!!

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:02pm
Let it roll... Good winter upgrade in a year or 2. Leave the tach be, in case it's related!

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:09pm
Oh yeah.....Nice addition to Team Red...She's purty!

Chris...you can't give up your presidency until you sell the boat or we impeach you.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Date Posted: March-16-2015 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Let it roll... Good winter upgrade in a year or 2. Leave the tach be, in case it's related!

Good, I just cut the check for the tax on the boat. I'll need time to recover from that.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:07am
That thing looks like you just bought it brand new. Congrats, gorgeous boat!

How do you decide which boat when you walk down to the dock?

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:13am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

How do you decide which boat when you walk down to the dock?

David,
Joel just mentioned having to get over writing the check for the tax. Now he needs to think about the expansion to his dock as well as another lift!!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:33am
I'd let it roll too but pick up a distributor to have on hand ASAP. Nothing drives me crazy like sitting on a dock staring at a broken boat and calm water.

-------------

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:47am
Congrats Joel and I was thinking along the same lines as HW. On my 93' the Protech started failing in 03' with only about 200 hrs on it and IMO it ran better with the replacement distributor then from Day 1 with the Protech.

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:48am
Then again, that's the BEST reason to have boat #2 sitting there ready to go ......

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:50am
Boat #2 is hundreds of miles away in the home garage. The 93 will be the only ski boat at the cabin.

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 11:55am

I'd let it roll too but pick up a distributor to have on hand ASAP. Nothing drives me crazy like sitting on a dock staring at a broken boat and calm water.

Agreed. It's a short season and time up north is limited and treasured.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:08pm
I'd wait for the Protec swap as well. Mine was leaking at the coil packs and had almost 1700 hours on her and she never left me stranded or gave me trouble. I only swapped it out because it was only a matter of time before she would give out in her current condition.

I'm surprised it made it as long as it did.

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 12:30pm

Boat #2 is hundreds of miles away in the home garage. The 93 will be the only ski boat at the cabin.

Oh. Didn't know the geography challenge.

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 2:00pm

Oh. Didn't know the geography challenge.

Right. For multiple boats arbitrarily at one location see also: The Benjamin Family

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 7:24pm
JP,
Aren't you contradicting yourself?

I'd wait for the Protec swap as well. I only swapped it out because it was only a matter of time before she would give out I'm surprised it made it as long as it did.

Get the parts. You never know when it will go!
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

On my 93' the Protech started failing in 03' with only about 200 hrs on it

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 9:34pm
I don't believe I am Pete. My system had over 1700 hours on it and was leaking insulator fluid from the coil packs. I ran it like that with no issues for 2 years (since we got the boat). It was still working when we swapped it out.

I'm basing my comment on the fact they he said he was sorta short on cash at the moment and someone also mentioned the boating season is short where he lives.

He's not having any issues presently and didn't mention anything about leaking coil packs or signs the system wasn't working properly.

I'm sure he understands that a new ignition system is next on his list. If it fails before the end of the season, he should be able to swap it out in a day once he gets the necessary parts. Shouldn't take more than a week from the moment he orders everything depending on which system he chooses.

-------------

Date Posted: March-17-2015 at 10:04pm

I don't believe I am Pete.

JP,
I believe I read your comment differently than you intended and the reason for my comment. On one hand you said wait for the failure and then on the other you said it could go at any time.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:44am
Quick update on this bad boy.

I've gone hog wild on parts and work for the boat and trailer. Another vehicle, another thing to order sh**t for and tinker with which is pretty much a dream come true for me.

Not one week into ownership and I've done races/bearings/seals/caps on both axles and I have a nice box of parts from SkiDim. Impeller, belts, plugs, rare fuel filter, ign breaker (this one sticks), new trailer tail lights. I have leaf springs and U-bolts on their way from etrailer.

Put the impeller in last night and took some time to really clean up the pump housing, particularly the mating surface between the steel housing and the impeller plate. In between those is technically a paper gasket which at this time was basically part of the corroded steel side. I doubt that sealed much in that state. Cleaned that all up with some Roloc action on the die grinder (which are also very effective at abrading human skin BTW) and replaced the paper gasket.

Boat and boat trailer stuff is such a breath of fresh air after wrenching on the fairly complex M3Fan car fleet so much. Everything is accesible, clean, and generally simple. Instant gratification!

I also ordered all of the little rear side stickers from Marty as well as the PEF plate, side Ski Nautique logo decals are next. She'll get a buff on the main stripe (rear 1/4 is slightly faded) and the stickers will all go back on brand new.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 10:47am
Pics or it didn't happen! I'm just sayin...

-------------
Our http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=4669" rel="nofollow - 98 Sport Nautique
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:49am
Yeah, I was in my flow state the whole time so no pics. A solid cruise control of productivity. Typically with the car stuff I have some pull-my-hair-out, "never again" moments that I can use for taking pics, not so much here.

I just pulled the trigger on new side decals and pinstripe, another 280 clams! This thing is getting the spa treatment.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 12:27pm
When are you adding the Ski-Tastic tower to the boat?

Sounds like awesome progress! Curious on the leaf springs, is one broken or are you just changing them out? Not something I normally think about if not broken.

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 12:33pm

Sounds like awesome progress! Curious on the leaf springs, is one broken or are you just changing them out? Not something I normally think about if not broken.

It's preventative maintenance. Not something I want to deal with on the side of the road and the trailer is already maxed out with this load, and has been for 22 years.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 1:32pm
Congrats Joel! Very nice find

Posted By: SWANY
Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 2:11pm
Will we get to see it at GL?

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by SWANY SWANY wrote:

Will we get to see it at GL?

Unlikely. Our lake is a once in, once out affair as far as launching goes since it's a private lake. I'd love to bring it but if we end up at GL we will have the 2000 rig which we have for local ramp boating.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

For multiple boats arbitrarily at one location see also: The Benjamin Family

I am still laughing at this and just came across this appropriate picture. Anybody that's been to a CT Mini knows how silly this looks.
http://s41.photobucket.com/user/TRBenj/media/9-24-06015.jpg.html" rel="nofollow">

How I cam across this picture is that I was looking to see when M3Fan got the cabin up north and then the MC. He seems to be on the "new every 2" year plan for a boat up there. Does it end here? We'll have to wait and find out!

-------------

Date Posted: March-20-2015 at 11:09pm
OK, tackled the oddball white PCM fuel filter. This filter is like 47.00 from SkiDim and I think the design is basically total s**t.

You basically have a mounting/top piece with the in/out fittings, a center "filter" piece that looks very much like an oil filter without the bypass valve (that's the 47.00 part that is replaceable) and you have a bottom "bowl piece" (heh heh heh) which is also re-usable. Literally a 3 piece stacked unit where the mounting point is the top of the 3 pieces. You have two types of o-rings in between, too. The top o-ring is squared off, much like an oil filter ring. The bottom piece has a standard round-profile o-ring. Each mating surface, both with the top and bottom piece, are painted. 22 years later that painting idea is not looking to be so great.

My recommendation? Just replace the entire unit with a modern, cheaper, and better designed unit.

Here's what we are starting with:

Right into the vice to unscrew the top and bottom:

One of my favorite tools, giant channellocks (AKA FCC Dominators), come in handy once again. Note paint chipped off on upper sealing surface sitting on upper O-ring

Top and bottom, middle section in plastic bin

Problem #1, thick paint totally flaking off upper mating surface, gotta clean that up

Problem #2, thick paint in the lower o-ring seat. Hoping this lasts another 22 years because I don't want to F with it now.

Upper surface nice and cleaned up:

All back together. We'll revisit in 2037.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-21-2015 at 10:59am
Here's a look at all the side hull stickers, a mix of NOS that I had from our 2000 and repros from Marty. Also notice the PEF plaque. I'm not fooling around.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: weitekampt
Date Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:06pm
Nice addition to the family joel!

2 recommendations...first year I owned the boat I ripped off that stupid PCM filter setup and put a MerCruiser setup on mine. Main reason for is I can go to Napa or any marina and get a water/fuel filter. It came in super handy last summer when I got a bad fill of gas and it took several tanks and 2 filters to clear up the problem.

I put a DUI on the boat several years ago. Nice addition. My old ProTec worked fine. I think it starts a bit better and has a slightly better idle now, but no real performance differences. Not sure it was worth the money but I did it for the same reason you would.....don't need a down boat on vacation. Not a matter of IF but WHEN it will happen.

I have all my old ProTec stuff if you want it. If you opt not to do a dizzy now, it may be good to have the coil packs in the cabin up north. If you want them let me know. I will see Alan next weekend and he can at least get them to his place. Let me know but it is yours if you want it.

It is cool that you are doing the decals. Some guys like them and some don't. Personally I had them ripped off after 4 hours of owning the boat including the pastel skiers on the transom. but it is cool to keep it original! Didn't know you could still get them.

shoot me a text (I think you still have my number) or reply to this if you want the protec stuff.

Great purchase though! Wish I had the money for your old MC! I love that boat!!!!!!

-------------
1993 SkiNautique ProTec
2009 Boatmate trailer.
1240 hours on meter.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1559&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1991&yrend=1995 - 1993 Ski Nautique

Date Posted: March-22-2015 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by weitekampt weitekampt wrote:

I have all my old ProTec stuff if you want it. If you opt not to do a dizzy now, it may be good to have the coil packs in the cabin up north. If you want them let me know. I will see Alan next weekend and he can at least get them to his place. Let me know but it is yours if you want it.

I want it. Once I get the DUI on there I will pass it on to the next ProTec owner. It can be a traveling insurance kit for the conversion stragglers and be passed on as they convert over!

The pastel stickers will not be coming back on this rig, that's for sure. That's one set of decals I just can't handle no matter how original!

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-24-2015 at 9:22pm
More parts came today, it was like Christmas. I love ordering stuff for vehicles, it's one of my favorite things.

Old side decal damage, both sides are like this. In all my years of owning ski boats (13 years) I've never scratched them like this. Easy fix, at least.

New pinstripe and side decals from NautiqueParts:

New leaf spring and U-bolt set

Nicely serviced hub complete with new dust cap

I have to get to refinishing this when it warms up a bit here

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: Donald80SN
Date Posted: March-25-2015 at 12:52pm
Joel,

HW can polish that Knob right up for you or so I have heard.     

Donald

Date Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:24pm
You are thinking of Randy_In_Ohio.

My knob is faded and crusty so I bought one of those cool medallion ones from BJ.

-------------

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:47pm
The medallion is almost like a little hat for the knob.

Posted By: Toertel
Date Posted: March-25-2015 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by Donald80SN Donald80SN wrote:

Joel,

HW can polish your Knob right      

Donald

Where is the "special" tool box needed for that (aka Brokeback Mountain)

Anyway, I polished mine. Just sand it till all the old coating is off and the major cracks are gone and then put laquer over it a couple of times (coating, polish, coating....)

-------------
1994 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: March-28-2015 at 12:04am
OK, so a buddy of mine re-did his pinstriping on his '91 last year, said removal was horrible. Because of that I got THIS baby, can't wait to "unleash the Krakken" on the pinstripes:

Thank goodness for google on that one, just hoping it works as good as they say.

Also, took a moment to get the dash plaque updated. Nice to pretend that we're actually the rich people who the boat was performance engineered for. Pretty sure when they thought of the PEF plaque they weren't thinking "Performance engineered for the non-wealthy, zero generational wealth, 1st world family who bought this boat 22 years later". That would be too long to fit on the plaque anyway I suppose:

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: March-28-2015 at 12:52am

OK, so a buddy of mine re-did his pinstriping on his '91 last year, said removal was horrible. Because of that I got THIS baby, can't wait to "unleash the Krakken" on the pinstripe

Joel - helped on Johnny's BFN & Frankenotters 176, add a little heat gun and they both came off in 1 long pull. Try it first, see what happens, I can get you my heat gun if you need it.

-------------
My Dad's 63 Ski N

Date Posted: March-28-2015 at 8:52am
Yeah what Steve said. If you do end up using the eraser wheel, be careful- it can burn the gel if you're too aggressive.

Date Posted: March-28-2015 at 9:48am
Sheesh-- clearly if it comes off the standard way that would be better but if it doesn't, I'm prepared. My buddy with the 91 is extremely competent-- his striping would not come off in anything approaching a single piece using any combination of heat or care. The striping on my 00 came off super easily with a little heat so that's clearly the hope.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 12:21pm
So this is cool. The boat came with 3 brochures- the full 1993 brochure, the 1993 short brochure, and the 1993 "Pro Boss" brochure for the engine.

What I thought was really neat is that they circled options they wanted with the boat. Really cool to imagine someone back in 1993 circling options for actually ordering the boat and still having that with the boat itself.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: jimsport93
Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 3:24pm
That is pretty cool! Especially that Pro Boss brochure.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2798 - 93 Sport Nautique

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:05pm
SHAKEDOWN CRUISE was today, Easter Sunday. For the listeners at home, that means that I did buy the boat with no test drive. Gotta strike while the iron is hot sometimes.

The boat is terrific. Instant start (barely 1 revolution before it fired), very smooth running. Very powerful and quick with the Pro-Boss and the ACME 654 which is on there now. I figure that prop, being a 15 vs. a 15.5 dia like a 422 probably gives it some pep. In that case I may switch it with my 00's 422 to give the 00 some more acceleration in our very tight course setup. This boat will be doing open water duty and won't need any extra pep from a smaller prop.

The NWZ hull is so terrific, and paired with the Pro Boss powerplant it's just a very nimble and terrific platform. Keep in mind I had the 1990 for 3 years but that was a LONG time ago so I've long forgotten how these drive. Drives just like a modern boat. CC had this thing nailed back then, it must have been a huge deal when NWZ came out.

I'm getting a full 14V at the dash, unheard of (seemingly) on these boats. I had proactively swapped out the Ignition breaker right when I got it because the old one was sticky anyway. I know that helped considerably on the old '90.

I had messed with the dip switches a bit on the VDO tach and it's reading a bit better, about 1000 RPM low now. Much better.

One Airguide was leaking water. I've disassembled it and sure enough it's a diaphragm seam very obviously cracked. Seems like it would be very straightforward to either solder the seam closed.

This trailer loads and unloads so poorly it's nearly a deal breaker and un-useable on a steep ramp. The ramp I used is fairly steep and the nose of the boat hit both the rubber v-bumper and the V-pads on the way down, hard. The guide poles have no floating pads on them so submerged they are only about 8" out of the water which accounts for the scratched up stickers. Loading this trailer on a steep ramp- forget about it. it was a mess and it's still not all the way loaded. Took a lot of winching and phased up and down the ramp action to try to get it on, terrible.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:31pm
Joel,
It's great news you are enjoying the boat. Sorry the trailer is such a PITA. Where did you put the boat in? Looks like the cal-sag channel!

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Joel,
It's great news you are enjoying the boat. Sorry the trailer is such a PITA. Where did you put the boat in? Looks like the cal-sag channel!

My ski club, it's a tiny pond just big enough for the course and a jump.

I'm also currently stripping the varnish off the platform. The PO sealed it, figuring it looked great. Unfortunately I'm familiar with the varnish removal process- my MC has it and by a http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8359&title=good-intentions-poor-execution" rel="nofollow - the 00 was inadvertently sealed do-gooder friend a while back.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 5:57pm

Unfortunately I'm familiar with the varnish removal process- my MC has it and by a http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8359&title=good-intentions-poor-execution" rel="nofollow - the 00 was inadvertently sealed do-gooder friend a while back.

Joel,
Thanks for the link. Does anyone know what happened to Chuck (the lake)?

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-05-2015 at 11:57pm
Looks really sharp on the water!

What do you plan to change on the trailer? Get rid of the angled winch arm and put vertical crash pads?

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:10am
The relatively low guide posts mounted so far back definitely aren't doing any good.

All those keel "rollers" do is nothing but scuff gelcoat, cut pinstripe and bend rub rails.

-------------

Posted By: jbear
Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:37am
when I had my '93 Joel it was on a Ramlin trailer and it loaded terrible too...

I have not talked to The Lake (Chuck Arney) for quite awhile Pete. But he went thru some 'life changing' stuff awhile back.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:44pm

Looks really sharp on the water!

What do you plan to change on the trailer? Get rid of the angled winch arm and put vertical crash pads?

I think the side profile on the NWZ hulls with the big graphics and primary stripe (90-93) is honestly one of the most bad-ass profiles of any boat. The lines are so clean and flowing, it just looks absolutely killer. Classic but also substantially "mean". We talked about these being the next "classics" a while back and I'm starting to really agree with that.

In theory the trailer will be used to load and unload once per year and drive about 1 mile back and forth so I'm not going to modify it. I just hate it and think it's the biggest POS I've ever had under a boat. On a level ramp it's probably not as bad but anything steep and the angles just don't work out.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: storm34
Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:49pm
John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin? Seems like they have the closest design to what CC produced for years and load so well.

Joel, good thing you won't be trailering that boat often! Steep ramps and tall bunks don't mix well.

-------------

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin?

I was gonna say the same thing

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:00pm
Correct craft was still in the trailer business in '93... Ram-Lin wasn't born until 95 or so, if memory serves. There is literally no difference in the product either way, the trailers were the same. Only minor tweaks between our '92 cc and '03 ramlin. I've always loved the way they load, we've encountered ramps of varying steepness.

Joel, I could probably accept that homely looking trailer if it loaded nice and wasn't used often... It sure doesn't have much going for it though. Such a cherry boat deserves better. Maybe keep an eye out for another cc/ramlin on the cheap and sell that thing to a Malibu owner? Ha.

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Joel, I could probably accept that homely looking trailer if it loaded nice and wasn't used often... It sure doesn't have much going for it though. Such a cherry boat deserves better. Maybe keep an eye out for another cc/ramlin on the cheap and sell that thing to a Malibu owner? Ha.

I will definitely keep an eye out for a replacement trailer and give this to somebody with a 96 Tantrum or a Coyote Aztek Skier, for sure. The trailer is incredibly ugly and I certainly don't want to redo the pinstriping and 230.00 side decals only to have them scratched or beat up from this POS. If I can get a new trailer for the 2000, this thing could at least inherit that one. Keep an eye out for me folks.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 1:24pm
Lol, good plan. Longer PVC over those guides for the short term to protect the decals!

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:00pm

I think the side profile on the NWZ hulls with the big graphics and primary stripe (90-93) is honestly one of the most bad-ass profiles of any boat. The lines are so clean and flowing, it just looks absolutely killer. Classic but also substantially "mean". We talked about these being the next "classics" a while back and I'm starting to really agree with that.

I agree. For the same reason, though I have a '98 Sport and love having the trunk for storage, when I see a '93-'97 Sport on the water with the angled stern I think it's just an amazingly good looking boat, the lines flow forward beautifully.

Seems like it would be pretty easy to move the guide poles forward, might be worth it even for the once a year launch. That trailer will not launch well in a really shallow ramp with the high bunks, so as you say it's really pretty useless in all conditions!

-------------

Posted By: east tx skier
Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 2:20pm
I'm a little late to the party, Joel, but great looking boat!

-------------
http://correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2383&sort=&pagenum=7&yrstart=1996&yrend=2000 - 1998 Ski Nautique (Red & Silver Cloud); GT-40; Perfect Pass Stargazer; Acme 422.

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 3:00pm
Joel, it appears the guide poles have a PVC pipe cover, if so try just sliding the PVC up a foot or so when launching, if the poles are slightly arced as it appears that should create enough resistance for the PVC to remain in that position.

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

John, curious to hear more about your problems with the Ramlin?

Maybe John had other issues but The Ramlin under the 93' Paragon was a PITA, and Chuck who bought it felt the same way as he ended up dumping the Ramlin and getting a brand new Boatmate a couple years ago.

Unless you leave the tops of the fenders out of the water and powerload the hull would often end up on top of the fenders because it was such a tight fit between them.

When Timmy jumps in and says "that's how you load it, blah, blah, blah" good luck when you need to float on because powerloading is illegal as it should be and when you have a colored hull that gets and shows all the scratches created from power loading.

Would imagine Chris that your colored hull will show scratches if you powerload, the Blue 206 always gets floated on for that reason.

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 7:39pm
Refreshing the throttle knob:

Intersting parallel with this- over 10 years ago I wanted to refinish the throttle knob on my 90 SN and bought a little can of stain + poly coating from Minwax to do that job. I found that same can on the shelf, untouched all these years, and used it again for the 93. Incredible!

Bought some silver solder and flux today for repairing the speedo bellows seam. Also oiled and cleaned up all the internals so everything moves very smoothly.Very simple and neat mechanism.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-06-2015 at 11:13pm
Completed what has been one of my favorite boat repairs to date, and that is taking this crusty old broken Airguide and refurbishing it to like-new operational status. This Airguide had been leaking for some time, as evidenced by corroded internals and a stained faceplate. It blows my mind that a PO would not consider this a more urgent repair. Hell, after 1 single ride in the boat I had to fix it immediately.

I was able to grab a basic silver solder coil (from researching old posts here) and flux right from Ace Hardware. I scraped the surface of the bellows seam clean with a razor, very gently, then brushed the flux on liberally. Then I used my tiny 23W soldering iron to heat the seam, about 1/8" at a time, slowly applying the solder to the joint and iron, allowing it to fill the gap, then inching the iron down the seam and repeating. Looks pretty good, IMO. This literally took 5 minutes to do.

I also had to clean up and lubricate the internal pivot points inside the gauge, as well as the dial, lens, etc. It went from crusty and barely moving to moving effortlessly.

After repairing the bellows I blew into the gauge with a little length of hose and sure enough, no leaks and the needle moved. As a human being I could only get the gauge to indicate 14mph so I very carefully used my air compressor w/blow gun (just barely cracking the valve, carefully). The gauge takes quite a bit of pressure, as Pete indicated in a couple older Airguide posts. 45mph is certainly a decent amount of PSI but the gauge took it and held it repeatedly.

I am so happy about this repair. Taking such a basic, old, mechanical item and getting it to function like new again with minimal fuss is about as good as it gets. Being a homeowner who maintains a fleet of our own land and water vehicles, I've fixed a lot of things. However, something about bringing this little device to life really put a smile on my face.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:15am
Be careful, I think a bunch of boxes with old gauges in bubble wrap may start arriving at your door!

Very nicely done.

-------------

Date Posted: April-07-2015 at 12:23am
Great job Joel. I admire you just going at projects even when you have never done it before. Yup, pretty easy and now you have added to your skill level.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-07-2015 at 1:50am
Usually it is a good practice to defer to Tim's memory but I am almost positive that my '93 was on a Ramlin.
Like CQ said..unless the ramp was almost flat and you had the trailer in high the boat would float over the fenders every time. Mine were dented up very bad. And I have loaded a few boats over the years.
But I have to agree on the side graphics..loved the wide stripe. The '93 was my 1st brand new boat and we loved it. Just couldn't load it.

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: April-11-2015 at 5:23pm
I did a full refresh on one side of the boat so far. This is a lot of work and includes a 4-stage compounding/polish (wetsand on just the rear foot or so of the red stripe, then 3 stages of cutting/polishing compound on the whole side). Then I replaced the big side decals, the small rear side decals, and then finally the pinstripe. I have the other entire side to go but I'll rest a bit before I take that on.

You http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21441&title=vinyl-pinstripe-replacement-not-bad" rel="nofollow - might recall I did this on the 2000 SN a couple years ago (except replacing the main side decals) so I'm not entirely new to this process.

The gel on the 93 was pretty much perfect other than some oxidation on just the tapered portion of the side of the boat, by the 1993 Singapore sticker (which was a total PITA to get off, BTW). The side decals were a bit beat up, and so was the pinstripe. It all had to be replaced and buffed out to make the boat go from a 8.5 to a 10 on the outside.

For sticker/pinstripe removal I used a hairdryer and a plastic scraper. Some stickers came off easily, some where absolutely horrible to get off. The two worst ones were the little foil PCM sticker and the 93 Singapore sticker. Both came off in a million little pieces and the glue residue had to come off with acetone. The rest came off easily with some heat and patience, including the pinstripe which means I can return my eraser wheel to Amazon.

Rearmost oxidation and the dreadful Singapore sticker in mid removal:

Working the HF rotary like a boss, this is a nice ab workout.

Just the faintest ghosting from the side decals, just enough to align the new ones by.

Mmmmmmhmmmm!

The wheels. The heavy polish was cutting the red gel like a crime scene. Very nice compound. Props to Timmy B, again, for coming up with the 3-stage 3M compound and pad combo that works so well for these boats.

I was a rebel and put the side decals on completely dry. Stakes were high at 114.00 a side. I had no problems, really, doing this. I did the SKI portion first, then cut the backing on Nautique to NAU, TIQ, UE and taped the whole thing up there. Hinged the sections up, peeled out the backing, then carefully applied. These decals are dead nuts on the shadows of the old ones. Trying to see the old shadows in the polished gel while getting the decals aligned was like looking at one of those 3D fractal images and trying to get them to pop out. All of a sudden you'd see the ghost image perfectly, then it would disappear. Interesting. These decals are incredibly high quality, from Nautiqueparts.com. Exact 100% matches in every detail, even the circle R sticker at the end. Very impressive.

Note half the backing is off, I lightly scored the backing sections using a sharp razor.

The result, pinstripe on as well.

Rear stickers for bonus points

One side down, one to go!

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-11-2015 at 6:17pm
Joel,
I certainly understand the need for a rest. It sure is tough on the arms. It looks great.

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-12-2015 at 12:38am
So, this is interesting. Don't count the eraser wheel out! I started on the decal removal on the other side and though the Singapore decal came right off, the AWSA and PCM foil stickers were again only coming off in dust-sized pieces. Just for the heck of it I threw the eraser wheel into a cordless drill and HOLY cow. No fuss, no muss, it ERADICATED both decals without even the slightest chance of damage to the gel. We're talking 5 minutes to basically make both decals completely disappear, cutting through them like butter. I wouldn't count this tool out, ever, or discount it's effectiveness in any way. Had I thought to break it out on the other side it would have saved me a half hour at least on the tougher decals. Highly recommended timesaver and in my actual hands-on experience it would be really difficult to damage the hull with it.

Highly recommended for stubborn decal removal!

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-12-2015 at 11:49pm
Got the other entire side done today. Flew through it vs. the starboard side but that's experience for you.

Thanks to Marty I also got the little details like the ethanol sticker and the the-boat-will-murder-you-the-first-chance-it-gets red warning sticker

I also spent an hour scraping the hell out of the underside of the swim platform, again mercilessly drenched in extremely strong wood sealer/varnish/whatever. This took several rounds of full-strength stripper to get through, literally using the whole quart of it plus an orbital for the most stubborn parts.

I would be willing to bet that both Pete and Tim felt a disturbance in the force a few years ago when this platform was sealed. "I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-13-2015 at 1:35am
just lookin' awesome Joel & fun to follow your pictures

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: April-27-2015 at 12:50am

Well, this was a big weekend for the '93. Trailered her 300 miles up to the cabin successfully. Never got a chance to change the springs or the tires, so those were a roll of the dice. No problem, though. Trailered like a dream. The super-tall trailer had a huge effect on gas mileage, though. I've never seen my MPG gauge read lower than it did with this rig- ~10MPG with that trailer and the Thule car topper! Yikes!

Here she is in her new native habitat (below). And yes- the repaired speedometer works! The boat certainly wasn't quick to warm up with 28F temps the night before and 47F water (I think Beth killed it about 6 times before it would hold idle), but after a few minutes of warmup we were buzzing around the lake happily.

Typically we get launched at a resort a few doors down by a tractor that drives into the lake a hundred feet or so, but the tractor battery was dead so the resort owner just took his HD Chevy pickup and drove THAT into door-high water without a care in the world, to launch it. That was pretty impressive/crazy. Wish I had taken a picture. Water was bumper/doorsill high. Real "git 'er done" moment for sure.

Then I turned around and hauled the imposter back home for what should be a quick, no negotiation sale. This thing looks like a canoe in my garage compared to the SN, and tows like a feather. Such a tiny rig! Pretty, though, for sure. Great "trailer anywhere" rig.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Date Posted: April-27-2015 at 11:56pm
awesome...but I gotta ask..there is a cover on the lift...right?

john

-------------
"Loud pipes save lives"

Date Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:01am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

awesome...but I gotta ask..there is a cover on the lift...right?

john

Com'on, brother! You bet. By the time the canopy was on and the boat was tucked under it you couldn't see anything so I decided to go for the skeletal shot.

-------------
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Posted By: 81nautique
Date Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:08am
Looks Great Joel, I guess the SN is heavier and sits taller than the MC but worse than that is that car topper! I hate towing with them, even a low profile one like yours can just kill your mileage.

Hope you guys have a great summer, We need to get up there eventually to check your place out and run around those lakes. Some day!

Date Posted: April-28-2015 at 11:44am
Joel, how did your decals match up with the old ones? Mainly the side Ski Nautique decal and the transom "Nautiques, World Championship Towboat". My decal guy ( (subcontranctor for local CC dealer) who's gonna buff the boat out recommends keeping my transom decals since they're 95% good and he claims he hasn't seen a transom decal match up well so far.

Print Page | Close Window