Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35805
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 10:56pm

Topic: Holley fuel pump
Posted By: calebcl
Subject: Holley fuel pump
Date Posted: April-18-2015 at 12:56am
Hi all.
I have a Holley 7072b on my 1990 ski - 351w. Yesterday, I rebuilt the carb and installed it. We had some trouble getting the fuel pump to prime, but eventually got it running, took it to the lake and began tuning at an idle speed. We determined that the accelerator pump needed tuning, but as it was late at night, decided to go in. Fast forward to today. I believed that the priming issue was pump related, so I went into a shop that sells a lot of Holley parts and picked up a Holley fuel pump for my 351w. I also grabbed some new fuel line, as I wanted the line to be braided from the pump to the carb. The new line is slightly longer than the old one. The problem I'm having is that for whatever reason, I can't get the boat to prime and fire. I have confirmed that the float bowls are full and there seems to be fuel going from the filter to the pump, but not from the pump to the carb.
Thoughts?? I'm at a loss.

Thanks!!

Caleb.

-------------
Caleb

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-18-2015 at 8:35am
Originally posted by calebcl calebcl wrote:

I also grabbed some new fuel line, as I wanted the line to be braided from the pump to the carb.
Caleb.

Caleb,
Is the hose assembly USCG approved? what happened to the original line? Did you check for pressure to the carb before buying the new pump?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-18-2015 at 10:06am
Pbrainard,
The original had a small leak at the inlet of the carb. To be completely honest, I'm not sure about whether or not the new line is USCG approved; however, we don't have inspection or even a coast guard office where I am - and I only use the boat in a couple of lakes around town. It's braided cloth fuel line, so I'm not worried about rust. I haven't gotten a pressure gauge yet. I plan on getting one of those probably today. How much pressure is necessary to be effective?

-------------
Caleb

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-18-2015 at 10:23am
Caleb,
I didn't mention the USCG for their inspections but rather for the reason for their regulation. Hopefully the non approved line will work for you and it doesn't leak or worse rupture! Where was the leak at the carb? The line flare or the threaded adapter?

6 to 7 psi to the carb is the norm. Start with testing before buying parts and becoming a "parts changer".

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: April-18-2015 at 10:34am
I gotcha! It was line I got from a performance shop, and the mechanic there and I talked about fuel pressure. He sold it to me knowing what it was being used for and was familiar with the boat...hopefully it will work! Haha

Certainly I don't want to throw parts at it. I'm checking all connections from the pump to the carb to make sure I'm not losing pressure anywhere, and I'll be getting a pressure gauge. I'll let you know what I figure out.

Thanks!

-------------
Caleb

Date Posted: April-20-2015 at 9:01am
Quick update: I manually filled the float bowls to get the engine to run for a few seconds at a time while I diagnosed the fuel pump and lines going in and out of it. The fuel was trying to flow, but there wasn't enough pressure. Turns out that a couple of the connections weren't as tight as needed, and I didn't realize until I got the engine running long enough to hear the hissing from the connections in question. Tightened the fittings and hose clamps and boom. Fired right up.

Thanks for all the help!

-------------
Caleb

Print Page | Close Window