Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35833
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 10:54pm

Topic: oil pressure sending unit
Posted By: jjojr1940
Subject: oil pressure sending unit
Date Posted: April-22-2015 at 12:42am
Is there a specific application for the oil pressure sending unit on a 1965 Interceptor SBF. We did a rebuild and this one just seems to want to pin the gauge at 80 lbs . ? I'm not the wiring guy (not a clue actually) , but I think we have it wired right. Any info I can relay to him is appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: mamigacz
Date Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:14am
Originally posted by jjojr1940 jjojr1940 wrote:

Is there a specific application for the oil pressure sending unit on a 1965 Interceptor SBF. We did a rebuild and this one just seems to want to pin the gauge at 80 lbs . ? I'm not the wiring guy (not a clue actually) , but I think we have it wired right. Any info I can relay to him is appreciated.

The application of the sending unit is based on the gauge, not the engine. The most likely causes for what you are describing are:

-An oil pressure switch (for an idiot light)is installed.

-The installed oil pressure sender has the wrong resistance range.

-The sender is defective.

A common sender resistance range used in marine oil pressure gauges is 33-240 ohms. A sender with the a 33-240ohm range is available on skidim for $37. Otherwise, if you want to find a cheaper substitute, they have them on ebay for about $19.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-22-2015 at 7:41pm
John,
Did you change the sender when you rebuilt the engine? If so, does it match the Ohm range of the gauge? You may have S/W gauges so check. DO NOT go buying a 33-240 sender from Skidim until you check.

If your gauge pegs at max, then you don't have any resistance on the sender wire. It may be wired incorrectly or a bad sender. Remove the wire from the sender and Ohm between the sender terminal and ground (the engine block). You should get resistance with the engine running or not.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: jjojr1940
Date Posted: April-22-2015 at 9:12pm
Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure my guy gets the info.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: April-22-2015 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by jjojr1940 jjojr1940 wrote:

Okay, thanks for the feedback. I'll make sure my guy gets the info.

John,
The guy you have wiring will have a VOM so Ohming out the sender will be easy for him. Did you install a new sender? Do you have the S/W gauges?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window