Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35983
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 10:51pm

Topic: Periodic poor acceleration
Posted By: 75 Tique
Subject: Periodic poor acceleration
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 10:19am
My boat is running great. Except....
When accelerating from a dead stop, harder than you would for any kind of normal take off, skier or not, my boat will occasionally backfire and drag, maybe stall, maybe recover and go. Sometimes it will do that, sometimes it is fine. Any normal acceleration, even like you would do pulling a skier up, its fine. It only does this when you slam the throttle down from an idle. I thought either timing or accelerator pump jets were plugged, but both of those things checked out OK. These Edelbrocks are kind of notorious for needing periodic cleaning, but that is usually just the idle circuits. I haven't done that yet, but that is next on my list.

Unless one of you has another idea for me.

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 10:55am
You are in the right neighborhood - make sure there is no slop in the accelerator pump linkage - and clean that thing out idle circuits and make sure your floats are effectively keeping it from dripping a little at idle.   As you noted - as much as loved the edelbrock carbs when they were fresh and clean, I have never been able to keep one from crudding up in marine use.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: ryanibanez88
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:20am
I had the same issue last summer cleaned it up and it pulls hard on the hole shot cured the issue. I probably need to go ahead and pull it again and give it a good scrubbing. Like Joe said make sure your linkage is tight too. 302 pcm with Edelbrock 1406

-------------
Ryan
1997 Ski Nautique
Midland Texas

Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:37am
I guess I'm doing a carb clean tonight. Its a once or twice a year ritual. Got it down to about a 45 minute effort. I only have a little in-line glass fuel filter. I keep threatening to get the original canister type that was on the engine originally (gone before I got it) but never get around to it. Couldn't hurt, I guess.

Thanks, guys.

-------------

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:47am
Sounds like your on track
Also check your base timing, a little low will cause pop/fart/dull.
When done set your idle mix in forward gear for the strongest idle., not highest rpm in neutral
Check if your mechanical advance is free and smooth

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I only have a little in-line glass fuel filter. I keep threatening to get the original canister type that was on the engine originally (gone before I got it) but never get around to it. Couldn't hurt, I guess.
Thanks, guys.

Larry,
There is a filter for the glass sediment bowl. I run them in both my Atom and X55. The only problem is I don't have the # in front of me. The filters are up north but I'll be up there Memorial day weekend and write down the part #. I get them at Napa and I understand they are used for some of the old Cadillac's in a pre carb canister.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:10pm
Pete, not even a glass sediment bowl, the glass filter I was referring to was one of these in the line on the way to the pump.

What was stock, was one of these, it mounts just above the circulation pump. Like I said, mine was gone when I got it, but the bracket is still there.

-------------

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:55pm
Larry,
Got it. I thought you had the sediment bowl on the fuel pump. I forgot you have the FAST OMC!! Well, now that you have the filter, you now need to "get around to it"!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: May-08-2015 at 11:57pm
That filter head would be hard to find Larry but the canister and filter itself are still available. They are Ford parts though

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-09-2015 at 12:04am
I'll take that back there is one on eBay right now for 30 bucks

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-09-2015 at 12:35am
Might be the one I have the picture of. I don't have one yet, Pete. That's just a google image photo I found, but I recognized it from ebay. I check ebay for them on a regular basis and they always seem to be available. Just a case of pulling the trigger. Gary, I've tracked down OMC part numbers for the head and the canister, but not the filter, but I have a feeling it wont be too hard to find.

-------------

Date Posted: May-09-2015 at 12:48am
The canister looks like the same one that is on HM's fuel pump. If it uses the same filter Larry it is a Fram CG 20 or a AC GF 157 so check those out when you start looking.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: May-09-2015 at 12:22pm
Carb could probably use a cleaning, but I think Tom hit the bulls eye with his timing suggestion. I said it seemed OK at about 8, but he said it could be a little low. I turned it up to 10-ish, maybe a tad more, and it gets up and goes pretty good now. No bogging at all. Learn something every day. This site is great.

I guess its not quite this (despite the legend status of this video, it hasn't been brought up in a while. There might be some new folks that have never seen it) But I will take it.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window