Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36363
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 8:24pm

Topic: 2000 Pro air GT 40 not running
Posted By: thecoxshow
Subject: 2000 Pro air GT 40 not running
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 11:59am
2 months ago, I uncovered my boat and fired it up for the first time this year. It ran for 30 sec then sputtered and cut off. After a lot of checking, I put a vacuum gauge on the fuel pressure regulator and the boat started running. I figured that the diaphragm must have been stuck. It ran rough for a couple min when I first took it out but it cleared up and has been fine ever since.
This weekend, I tried to take it out and the battery was dead. I jumped it off and it ran for about 30 sec and sputtered and cut off. It would not run at all after that, just turn over. I tried playing with the regulator again and that didn't work. I tested the fuel pressure, and it was at the recommended 39 psi and it dropped to 32 when I put vacuum on the regulator (which I think is correct operation). It has spark, the fuel looks good (no water), and I replaced the fuel filter 2 months ago. I can hear the priming pump running also when I push the start button. I'm kind of stuck now. Any suggestions on where to look now? Thanks in advance.

Replies:
Posted By: scootdogydog
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 12:51pm
do you see any evidence of fuel in the carb bowls after it dies?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=7183" rel="nofollow - 1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:11pm
Its fuel injected. Its a 2000 with a power boss GT 40 351

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 1:18pm
Start looking through this thread:

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PN=1&title=poor-mans-gt40-diagnosis

Date Posted: June-16-2015 at 4:25pm
I have gone through some of the threads and got some ideas on a few things to try. Thanks for the link

Date Posted: June-21-2015 at 10:24am
Found the problem. It was bad gas. This was tricky because the gas sample I took looked clean and there was no water. It was just a little cloudy but not bad. After ruling out all other possibilities, I put the feed line and return line into a 5 gal gas tank with new fuel and it ran fine so I guess the gas just died over the winter.

Posted By: jhersey29
Date Posted: June-21-2015 at 4:00pm
If you put it back together again and have troubles. Check anti siphon valve for a sticky ball, blocked tank vent,and screen on gas pickup clogged.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: June-21-2015 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by thecoxshow thecoxshow wrote:

I guess the gas just died over the winter.

What brand of fuel stabilizer did you use?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: June-22-2015 at 3:58pm
Stabil marine formula. I also tried a can of SeaFoam to try to clear it up after I found the problem but that didn't work.

Date Posted: June-22-2015 at 4:00pm
yeah, I checked and cleaned those parts when I took the tank out. It is running like new now.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: June-22-2015 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by thecoxshow thecoxshow wrote:

Stabil marine formula. I also tried a can of SeaFoam to try to clear it up after I found the problem but that didn't work.

There isn't a product made that will completely stop phase seperation or reverse it.

Posted By: MrMcD
Date Posted: June-24-2015 at 12:51pm
I parked my 95 GT40 last year with Premium gas in it.   Forgot to add stabil or sea foam.
This year on the first tank it ran great until I tried to go full throttle where it pinged pretty bad. I just backed off and will wait for the next tank before trying full throttle again.
Today's fuels have no shelf life. After 3 months it is suspect unfortunately.
Glad you figured it out.

Date Posted: June-27-2015 at 2:30pm
I agree, when I put it up for the winter this year, I'm going to leave it empty and just dump fresh gas in it next year. I realize that condensation could be an issue, but I'm going to take the risk.

Print Page | Close Window