Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36675
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 8:33pm

Topic: Sudden Loss in MPH
Posted By: FootFever78
Subject: Sudden Loss in MPH
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 1:32am
This is my second post. The CCF community solved my last problem, so here we go:

1992 Excel with a 351W.   I bought this last fall and I have had a string of issu)s despite sinking mucho dinero into the engine this past winter (rebuilt gt40 heads, new msd ignition (but remains carbuated), new Edelbrock pro intake, new Holley 4160, new exhaust manifolds, etc. Had the boat out a few weeks ago after all the upgrades (and solved overheating issue) and the thing ran like a scalded dog. 47mph WOT, and 42mph WOT with footer behind boat. Two weeks ago I lost some power. To be more specific I lost 6 mph off the top end, and the lower end is absolute dog crap. I can barely pull a footer out of the water - takes at least 20 seconds to plane out. Here are the symptoms:
1. Lost 6 mph off the top
2. Boat not as consistent with turn key starter
3. Engine has backfired twice
4. Engine reluctant to start after warmed up and shut off.

It's almost like the motor isn't getting enough gas - that it's being limited. I checked the carb inlet valve - it's clean. What all could I be dealing with?

Replies:
Posted By: ultrahots
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 2:11am
Was it good one day and the next it was poor or did it get worse with a daily use ?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6960&sort=&pagenum=2&yrstart=1986&yrend=1990" rel="nofollow - 1980 Show Nautique

Posted By: FootFever78
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:20pm
Yep. Seemed great then not.

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:27pm

Reluctant to fire hot, or reluctant to crank hot?

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: hotboat
Date Posted: July-07-2015 at 12:32pm
Have you rechecked the timing?

-------------
Brian

Print Page | Close Window