Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36699
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:25pm

Topic: GT-40 Sputtering at ihgh RPM
Posted By: hummerh21961
Subject: GT-40 Sputtering at ihgh RPM
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 12:08pm

I have 2001 Ski Nautique GT-40 that is encountering output problems at higher RPM. Engine starts, idles smooth, runs good up to ~2,500 RPM. If I "jump" on it and additional throttle is added, it bogs and sputters worse. If I back off, it runs smooth.

Replies:
Posted By: camron18
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 12:57pm
what year is it?

if it runs good until you get to 2500 rpm, then its your protec ignition system going into limp mode. the ignition system goes into limp mode when it senses High water temp, or low oil pressure. if your temp gauge and your oil pressure gauge both look good. (120-160) on temp (40 psi or so) on oil pressure, then you can test the protec switches.

to do this first find the oil pressure switch above the oil filter and next to the oil pressure sending unit. unplug the single wire connected to it. see if that fixes the problem. if that does it order a new one.

if not do the same with the water temp switch on top of the manifold.

if you unplug both and it still does it, then it is time to convert it to a distributor.

i had the same thing ever since i got my boat off and on, i undid the temp switch and it runs full throttle fine now

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 1:12pm
Its not a tumor, er, protec

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 1:17pm
Is this 2,500 rpm line, a fairly hard line? In other words, will it sputter every time you get to that RPM? Is your check engine light lighting when the sputter happens or otherwise?

Posted By: M3Fan
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 1:50pm
Bri892001 is asking the right questions and cameron18 is right other than the Protec/distributor part.

The GT40 limp home mode is I think about 2800 RPM and it very abruptly and violently kicks in- there is no mistaking it.

-------------
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Posted By: hummerh21961
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 4:45pm
thanks in advance to all for the quick response as I will hopefully try to clarify a couple of supportive points:

year: 2001 - SN 19.6

Relative to "hard deck", YES...it appears that is the consistent point of which the "bogging" and sputtering kicks in.

The one point that I left out earlier that might be of importance is that the Check Engine lights is always ON

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by hummerh21961 hummerh21961 wrote:

The one point that I left out earlier that might be of importance is that the Check Engine lights is always ON

Ahhh, huh!!

I'd say there's a high chance of this being a limp mode situation. Try disconnecting your oil pressure SWITCH (vs sendor or sensor) then disconnecting your water temp SWITCH ( again not sendor or sensor) and see if this corrects the situation.

If so, you need to replace either the oil pressure switch or your water temp switch.

Posted By: camron18
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 4:58pm
Yeah had the same thing. hopefully one or the other will fix the limp mode!

Cheep fix if its one of those!

Print Page | Close Window