Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36702
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:18pm

Topic: school me on coils
Posted By: ChowHound
Subject: school me on coils
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 3:34pm
I can't seem to find a 1.5 ohm epoxy filled coil for my 87 nautique (original setup, points w/resistor).

There are plenty of epoxy units with lower Ohm ratings....not sure if that's a possibility.

It's my (unshooled) understanding that a lower Ohm rate coil would produce more heat to the rest of the ignition componentry.
??

also, sry to make this a two part question...
My ballast resistor is measuring ~.8 ohm across the posts - should this not match the ohm rating of the coil (stock is 1.5 ohm)?

thanks!

Followup question: What would be the result of using a higher Ohm rated coil (3 ohm)?

again....thx.

Replies:
Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 4:04pm
No, not neccessarily. One would find a 1.5 ohm coil to run without a ballast resistor, with points, else use the ballast resistor to limit the current through the points and throttle the heat into in the coil primary.

Since you don't intend to delete it the ballast resistor, a coil .8 to 1 ohm is usable.

if your total resistance is 1.5 ohms, then your current draw should be low enough and not overheat it.

If you did source a 1.5 ohm coil and a 1.5 ohm resistor, you would only see 6V and 4A on the primary and would have a weak spark.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 5:05pm
You are looking for 1.5 total heading into the distributor.

Ballast + coil OR coil alone (ballast delete)

-------------

Posted By: ChowHound
Date Posted: July-09-2015 at 10:01pm
Cool stuff!

So, a sum of resistance less than 1.5 to the distributor would mean trouble how?
welded points?

and a resistance higher then 1.5 total would mean weak spark?

just curious

thx

Print Page | Close Window