Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36716
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:28pm

Topic: Cold Idle
Posted By: jwweathers
Subject: Cold Idle
Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 4:19pm
85 SN 2001 with 351w. Idles and runs flawlessly when warm. Will stall at idle when cold. Is this just the nature of a carburated engine? Or is there something I can do??

Jeff

Replies:
Posted By: hdspringer99
Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 4:38pm
Sounds like a choke issue. Have you adjusted your choke or watched it when starting and running cold?

Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 6:02pm
I am newbie when it comes to carburated engines. I am used to EFI. When I start the boat, I pull the cylinder next to the throttle arm out and turn the key. Once the engine fires, I give it a bit of throttle and keep it there until the engine warms up. If I let off of the throttle before it is warm, the engine will die. Is that normal?

Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 6:12pm
Oh...and I pump throttle arm wide open and closed once before I do anything. Is this the right way to start a carbureted 351w?

Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by jwweathers jwweathers wrote:

Oh...and I pump throttle arm wide open and closed once before I do anything. Is this the right way to start a carbureted 351w?

I usually do the same if our boat doesn't start right away the first time.

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 8:03pm
Jeff,
You're doing everything correctly. Do check the choke. The butterfly should be 1/8" open when cold and then slowly open as the engine warms up. Yes, Fords are notoriously cold blooded!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 9:06pm
So mine definitely doesn't open slowly. It snaps open a while after I turn on the key.

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:00pm
Mine doesn't idle well for the 1st minute of operation. I start it & hold at 1500 for about a minute. Then it's into reverse for the trailer backoff.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-10-2015 at 11:18pm
Sounds like you might need to adjust your electric choke or fast idle screw...

Posted By: hdspringer99
Date Posted: July-11-2015 at 12:06pm
Holley has a good video on YouTube on adjusting your choke. http://youtu.be/0H5IBSFgYJE. Search "Hollley 600 Choke Adjustment"

You are warming yours up the same way I do, however if the choke is adjusted and working correctly you should not have to mess with the throttle while it warms up.

The electric choke opens up over time as the voltage is applied to the choke coil. It is dependent on time, not the actual engine temperature.

Also adjust your idle screw with the transmission engaged once you in the water. This may be another reason you are stalling when cold at idle.

Date Posted: July-11-2015 at 7:56pm
I adjusted the electric choke so that the plate opens and closes properly during a cold start. In doing so, however, I noticed that I am missing the fast idle cam lever. So, there is no way to adjust the fast idle speed. Someone must have removed it at some point, right?

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-11-2015 at 10:36pm
Hi Jeff

The marine Holley doesn't have the same setup that an auto one does for a fast idle cam. There is a plastic piece they call the cam but there is no way of adjusting a "fast idle speed" with an adjustment screw and stepped cam, like on the automotive version. The Holley video is for the automotive version.

To me,you're doing it right and you probably aren't missing any parts except the ones Holley purposely left off.

You are the manual fast idle cam controlling it with the throttle lever while in neutral

Like Pete said you're doing it right and could maybe use a little adjustment of the electric choke

KenO

Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 1:43am
I wonder why they would leave that off. Would it hurt to add a fast idle cam lever so that I can control the fast idle on a cold start?

Posted By: Jonny Quest
Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 2:42am

I wonder why they would leave that off. Would it hurt to add a fast idle cam lever so that I can control the fast idle on a cold start?

You DO control the fast idle. That's what the throttle lever is for...

-------------
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum

Posted By: 63 Skier
Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 2:52am
Now that the choke is working correctly, does it still die on you? If so, how long before it will idle without adding throttle? I'd say up to a minute might be considered normal, if it takes longer than that to be able to hold idle without stalling then there's still something wrong.

-------------
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-12-2015 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

You DO control the fast idle. That's what the throttle lever is for...

Not only is it not needed, it would be aittle dangerous to have. Cars have brakes if they were accidentally put into gear during fast idle. If someone accidentally moves a boat lever into gear, it's taking off.

Date Posted: July-13-2015 at 12:15am
Good point. Glad to know the carb is correct. I will leave it that way. Thanks for all of the knowledge, guys. I really appreciate it.

Jeff

Print Page | Close Window