Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=36840
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:46pm

Topic: 1974 Ski Nautique Firing problems
Posted By: tcaldwell
Subject: 1974 Ski Nautique Firing problems
Date Posted: July-23-2015 at 8:14pm
I have a 74 Ski Nautique and I just replaced the distributor cap, points, and plugs as well as a new arco starter. The boat was running fine before changing the starter but got to where it wouldn't crank when the motor was hot and eventually wouldn't crank when it was cold either. I put the new starter on and now it turns over perfectly fine but has no fire. I checked all my wires and they have power except the wire going from the coil to the distributor.

Any suggestions?? Please help!!

Replies:
Posted By: Chevy350
Date Posted: July-23-2015 at 10:18pm
New coil?

-------------
1972 Mustang

Posted By: 1980nautique
Date Posted: July-23-2015 at 10:29pm
No voltage on wire going from - Negative on Coil to distributor? Check for flashing 12 volt test light while cranking the engine. The points may be closed and grounding out the Neg. side of coil as they should!!! Check point gap, should be .018 and that the points are opening and closing.
If gap is good and the engine ran before you changed the starter Do you have the correct starter for your engine rotation?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-23-2015 at 11:07pm
Tomas,
Ken's suggestions are all great. Check and get back to us. What did you set the point gap to? When you do get it started, you will need to check the timing. Did you see if the mechanical advance is free, moves and is lubricated?

Welcome to CCfan. We want pictures!!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window