Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37028
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:23pm

Topic: engine overheat
Posted By: harriss28
Subject: engine overheat
Date Posted: August-12-2015 at 11:27pm
97 sn gt40

I overheated the engine last weekend.   I realized there was an issue before the temp had gotten over 200.   Like a dummy,   I tried to limp back to the dock....the temp gauge never got over 220.   I figured 220 wasnt bad since many thermostats are 195 deg.   

I pulled the impeller and it looked ok, but I was able to remove the center from the rubber. Im not sure if this is acceptable or not.   I also found loose clamps on either side of the strainer;   the pipe threads were also loose.   I installed a new impeller, and changed the oil(rotella T) .    

The exhaust tubes got fried and are leaking about 8 inches from the manifold. Should I order new or try and repair?    Is there anything else I need to inspect, such as the muffler?

Thanks
     Shawn

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: August-13-2015 at 11:22am
Originally posted by harriss28 harriss28 wrote:

... I figured 220 wasnt bad since many thermostats are 195 deg.   

I pulled the impeller and it looked ok, but I was able to remove the center from the rubber. Im not sure if this is acceptable or not.   ...

1.) 195 sounds like a hot thermostat. Shouldn't you be running a 160?

2.) I bet that impeller is the source of your troubles. A hub can break free from the rest of the impeller, and in that case the hub spins but the impeller won't. This defect comes up from time to time.

Not sure on your exhaust tubes, I'd tend to replace them, but if your handy with fiberglass work, maybe you can fix them?

Maybe you'll luck out with the muffler? If you were limping, it was probably the hot manifolds that melted your tube, rather than hot exhaust gas. Maybe the muffler was spared by being farther away. That sounds like a try it out and keep a close eye on it kind of a thing.

Posted By: harriss28
Date Posted: August-16-2015 at 10:33pm
Thanks for the reply!!!   I meant that many vehicles run at 195 deg not my boat

Print Page | Close Window