Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37143
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:26pm

Topic: 351w oil pan
Posted By: Copacetic23
Subject: 351w oil pan
Date Posted: August-22-2015 at 8:21pm
I recently got a rebuilt 351w to replace the old PCM 351 in my fish nautique. I am reusing most of the PCM external parts. I almost have it all put together but am having trouble finding an oil pan and thermostat housing. I can reuse the old t-stat housing but the old pan is leaking where the dipstick goes into the side of it. Can I get an automotive 351 oil pan to replace it? The ones I have found just don't look the same as mine. Any insight on the oil pan, as well as any other helpful information in finishing a motor from a long block would be helpful.

Replies:
Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: August-23-2015 at 7:23pm
The parts you are looking for can usually be found on ebay, but you may have to be diligent and patient in looking. There are a couple of oil pans on ebay right now - search "marine oil pans" listed under part number 72566 - both are < $100 - they are non pcm pans - condition is everything - shop carefully. Get the oil pump pickup tube and dipstick if possible that go with the pan you choose. The number for a Mercruiser 351W oil pan is #59529 - it is cast aluminum - obsolete, but usually available as NOS from Mercury dealers that have been around awhile. The Mercruiser oil pan will require a baffle modification to fit the PCM oil pick-up, but the sump is in the right place.. I put one of these on my Fish since it will be a salt water boat. .Discount Inboard Marine has new steel 351W oil pans listed as part # 1708. Be prepared for sticker shock when you see the price.   

These 351W based engines are approaching obsolescence. Iron intakes, T-stat housings, and oil pans are getting difficult to source as the engine has been out of production for over 15 years. If I had it to do over I would put a newer Chevrolet based engine in mine. I just bought a used PCM T-Stat housing for a 351W in excellent condition. Keeping it as a spare because the salt water will destroy the one I have in 4 to 5 years. Plan to pay between $150 to 250 for a good T-stat housing when you find one.

Good luck. The search for the parts is half the fun. Where in NC are you located? .I am in Brevard in Western NC.

Date Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:54pm
Yeah, the price for the pan on skidim is shocking for sure. Did you have to bend the oil pickup pipe for the modification or get a different pickup? I am in Ocean Isle Beach, NC.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 7:59am
What's causing the leak at the dip stick on the pan?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:09am
The leak is coming from where the dip stick tube is riveted into the side of the pan. It looks like there is a gasket there on the inside of the pan but the gasket is deteriorated. I tried brazing it a couple of times but still leaking. There is someone on here that is selling an oil pan for a commander 351 that I think will fit. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:13am
Brazing was the worst thing you could have tried but you know that by now. Don't know how it looks at this time but you could have drilled out the rivets made a new gasket and either re-riveted or used bolts with the nuts on the outside of the pan. The things you need are out there,you just can't run out and buy it off the shelf like you used to. I don't agree with Steve on how long things last in the salt,I personally know a raw water cooled PCM 302 that went for 20 years on its original thermostat parts but it was flushed after each use and that is the key. I know someone with a 351 pan that was used in fresh water,don't know what conversion it's off of,I would guess PCM. Do you want me to check with him and see if it's available?

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 12:03pm
I think the brazing could work, as it only has a tiny pin hole now compared to before. I guess I could make a new gasket and bolt the dip stick tube in if I have to but I would rather find one that is in better shape if I can. That would be great if you could find out if he still has that 351 oil pan available. Thanks

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 12:40pm
Copacetic23: The oil pick up tube was not bent, but it may need to be modified by trimming the skirt around the screen. Skirt shape is important to prevent a vortex in the pan - so the least the better. The Mercruiser oil pan has a baffle that requires the center section (about 2 1/2") to be removed when used with the PCM oil pick up tube. The Ford engine builders that I was able to reference recommend 1/4" to 3/8" (preferred) clearance between the oil pick up tube and the bottom on the oil pan for standard volume oil pumps on the small block engines.

Regarding Gary's comment on the life span of a used T-Stat housing in salt water - who knows? On our Shamrock boat with a GM engine which is kept in the Gulf - we are replacing risers and manifolds at the end of each 3rd season and considering the engine pretty much disposable at the end of the 5th or 6th season with about 800 -1000 hours on them. On the CC-Fish I am working on now we are going to use aluminum anodes rather than zinc to see if there is any improvement in corrosion. I figure when the hex bolts for the cylinder heads lose their shape due to rust the rest of the engine can't be much better. When fishing off-shore I tend to be conservative and prefer planned maintenance rather that forced - it's expensive, dangerous, and not much fun, especially when the fish are biting. I'll keep my eyes open for a oil pan and will let you know if see one. Best of luck!

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 5:39pm
Exhaust manifolds are a totally different problem which must be because of the heat of the exhaust. Same boat,which by the way was a Shamrock used in the Keys, went thru 3 complete sets in the same time frame. Soon I'm ordering a set of HiTec's to solve that problem. on the one I have now.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 5:57pm
Hey Gary - DaveR over on FTC had a set of SS Hi-Tec's for a 351W a few weeks ago up for sale along with some other parts. I don't if he still has them or not?   

One thing that I'm seeing that is different between the Fish Nautique and the Shamrock is the bonding system. The Fish I'm working on doesn't have one at all; whereas, all of the Shamrocks I've seen have the engine, transmission, tabs, and rudder bonded/wired together going into a star connection at the raw water strainer. Maybe the previous owner removed it - but I don't see any part of bonding system remaining.

Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 6:08pm
Interesting I would think that if it was bonded there would be some evidence that it was done. Maybe they didn't do it. Back in the day the first time I saw my dads new Shamrock I didn't even know anyone did something like that being a fresh water boater. I'll pm Dave and see what he has/had,thanks.

-------------
95 Nautique Super Sport

Print Page | Close Window