Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37176
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:30pm

Topic: Impeller shredded into the cooling system
Posted By: BillG
Subject: Impeller shredded into the cooling system
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:15am
Boat overheated 8-23-15, So I checked the impeller and removed the remains of a shredded impeller; and don't know if the rubber pieces will flush through the cooling system, or if they could get stuck somewhere. Help please, can't afford an expensive repair.

-------------
Bill

Replies:
Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:07am
I am more of a watch for problems type than a go look for problems type, check the hoses immediately up and down stream, if you don't find nothing then keep your eye on the temp gage and exhaust manifolds. If you have no overheating issues, and your manifolds are cooling evenly after a month or so they probably passed cleanly.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:41am
Impeller parts will get stuck in the thermostat housing and possibly between the cooler and the pump.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Posted By: Morfoot
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 10:47am
Save all the pieces that you pull out and you can kindasorta recreate the impeller. By doing so you know if you have most if not all the parts of whats left of it and you'll know if you need to 'Go fish' some more.

-------------
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Posted By: kytom2
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:07am
"Save all the pieces that you pull out and you can kindasorta recreate the impeller"......

You really need to find a hobby Tim, way to much time on your hands.

-------------

Posted By: geecee
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:10am
I found a lot of pieces at the oil cooler

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 11:15am
Depends on the marinization. My trans oil cooler is up stream of the RWP.

Posted By: baitkiller
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

For some crazy reason I have found it quite common for impeller pieces to travel both up and down current. I have no idea why. This is all marine inboards, not just ski boats. I typically open the hose connections at the end-of-run both sides of the pump and start blasting with a water hose. The only troublesome condition is small bits in the T stat. Vanes will also lodge in the pump cam and if not removed will wreck a new impeller.

-------------
Jesus was a bare-footer.............

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

For some crazy reason I have found it quite common for impeller pieces to travel both up and down current. I have no idea why. .

I totally agree and even tried to convince Kevin a couple weeks back after he criticized my check the trans cooler comment!

When you pull the boat out of the water, the broken pieces back flush along with the water draining.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by BillG BillG wrote:

removed the remains of a shredded impeller;

Bill,
Have you been running the engine even briefly without water? The RWP is water lubricated.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window