Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37179
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:25pm

Topic: DAMPER PLATE?
Posted By: DHILL
Subject: DAMPER PLATE?
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 12:53pm
My 93 Sport is making a heck of a rattle coming from the rear of the engine when starting. Once started, i have no issues, I replaced the starter but the noise stayed.

Most of what I read for damper plate has never been only when starting, just low iddle or in gear at idle.

New to the forum and need some help.

Thanks.

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-25-2015 at 9:35pm
Dan,
Pull the trans and bell housing to check the damper. If bad, ou don't want to go very long with it. A bad damper can damage the trans. It's too bad they don't install inspection ports in the bell housings any more. My 312 Y has one that saved me the trouble of pulling the trans to confirm a bad damper.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: DHILL
Date Posted: August-27-2015 at 4:51pm
Do I have to do anything special for alignment ? Where would i find torque specs?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-27-2015 at 7:55pm
Dan,
I've never done any type of alignment bolting the plate to the flywheel but, I've always used the tight fitting shoulder bolts made for the damper. We had a vey good member who used to own Fantastic Finish Marine who was an expert in marine trans's and he always suggested going through the starter hole after the trans was bolted up to tighten up the damper bolts. Torque spec would be standard SAE for a grade 8 bolt. Google and plenty will pop up or if you have one, a Machinists Handbook is a great source.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window