Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37418
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:29pm

Topic: Electrical problems on '83 Nautique
Posted By: geecee
Subject: Electrical problems on '83 Nautique
Date Posted: September-27-2015 at 3:09am
Just spent the last 3 days on the dam, for the most part boat ran great, conditions were superb and even threw in a slalom run for the first time in years, it is rough hitting the brick wall as you cross the wake on the 2001 though.

A little history, I thought the starter was laboring the other day and had it checked out but it worked fine when I had the guy around to test, so we decided to leave it be and see how it went. This weekend, while out the radio lost power. I thought perhaps it got some water in when my buddy took a wake over the bow, so pulled it out to dry, put it back to start testing and it worked no problem....
Later we went for a little cruise to relax on the far end of the dam, cut the motor and drifted. Wanted to put some music on and no power again, wasn't worried just enjoyed the silence of being out in the middle of nowhere.

Now we drifted a bit and I needed to start up and move out from a cove, turned the key and nothing. Tried the blower the pump nothing... Tried testing a few things but really didn't see much strange, couldn't find anything shorting (do the gauges all drop to zero when starting the engine normally?) we kept testing and i guess in the process moved some wires around and the pump and blower worked, but still no starter power.

Tested the solenoid and the coil is getting voltage, but couldn't hear it click, bridged the starter and that ran up fine and started the engine, so we headed back to shore to continue fault finding.

On acceleration the engine started surging, but only over 3000rpm or so.
We tested as much as we could think of but didn't really come to a conclusion. We left it for a bit came back and the engine started as per normal when we tried again, but still surges on hard acceleration.

I am almost convinced it is an electrical problem, but not too clued up on the engine side of it, I am an electronic technician by trade so fault finding is an everyday thing for me. We thought it was just a dodgy solenoid but that wouldn't explain the surging, would it?

Can a short or possible fault on the dash be pulling down current to the point that the engine would begin to surge?

I am contemplating a full dash rewire as whoever did this was a complete idiot and really did a terrible job. but is there anything about this issue that someone has an idea on what to do to fix it? perhaps I am missing something

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior

Replies:
Date Posted: September-27-2015 at 4:17am
Here is a short clip you can hear the surging quite clearly, this does it regardless of whether pulling a skier or unloaded

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior

Date Posted: September-29-2015 at 8:34am

Thought I would post a pic to show I'm not just a wake boarder, perhaps I'll get some help now

Jokes aside, from doing some poking around the net, I have seen a few threads outside of this forum having similar surging from faulty ignition systems, so I will check out my distributor/points and the coil.

If i have a faulty coil could this cause my other electrical issues, or would it just be an issue with the motor not actually firing, and/or cutting out/surging under power?

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 11:54am
Does this boat have a push button ignition breaker or just a key switch?

What is required to turn on the blower under normal circumstances?

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 1:16pm
Just a keyswitch

Blower turns on with a toggle switch,
We did have 12V going to the solenoid on ignition, but nothing happened. Didnt seem like the contact was closing, but after bridging to start and getting back to shore it was trying to start but almost seemed like the solenoid was chattering on and off.

Left it for a while tried again and it worked for the next 2 days.

Engine still surged the following 2 days however so must be something a bit dodgy.

I wanted to measure the dist coil today but we have a good thunder storm on the go at the moment

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by geecee geecee wrote:

We did have 12V going to the solenoid on ignition, but nothing happened. Didnt seem like the contact was closing, but after bridging to start and getting back to shore it was trying to start but almost seemed like the solenoid was chattering on and off.

Check for a good ground on the start relay (solenoid). Many are grounded through their bases. Ohm between the relay base and a good point on the engine block. You should get a near zero reading.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: September-30-2015 at 1:54pm
good call I will check that, and saying that we removed the solenoid, then decided to put it back on till we got back to shore, so we did tinker and perhaps managed to get a better ground.

but this still wouldnt explain the engine surging, but I have a feeling the points etc may be wel;l used, so I will start there and check that all out too

-------------
1983 Ski Nautique '2001'
-Chev 350 Mercruiser
-Custom Wake Tower
-Custom Interior

Print Page | Close Window