Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37499
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:20pm

Topic: 1981 302 motor
Posted By: Alaskan907
Subject: 1981 302 motor
Date Posted: October-10-2015 at 5:23pm
I recently pulled my motor on my 81 SN boat suspecting a cracked block and my worst fears were true. I now am trying to find another block and am having a hard time finding one cheap. Any suggestions? I really dont want to break the bank.

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-10-2015 at 5:53pm
Evan,
How did you determine the block is cracked? What are the symptoms since you state "suspect". http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37476&KW=&PID=484655&title=1981-ski-nautique-with-a-302-v8#484655" rel="nofollow - In this thread, the last post you made was about a valve job. You did a compression check, did you ever do a leak down? Give us more information. Also, I have mentioned that a 302 in a SN is unusual since they typically had 351's. Did you ever confirm the engine size? A post was made by Jeff (74wind) in the same thread as to how to measure the manifold determining the size.

If you do end up needing a block, you may want to search out a salvage yard. All the RR parts like the cam and crank can then be used in the salvaged block.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Alaskan907
Date Posted: October-10-2015 at 6:40pm
I pulled the engine last night and pulled it down to the block after doing a leak test on all the valves. It def needs a valve job because one of the exhaust valves was stuck open, but we could find no leaks through the head gasket. We pulled the heads and confirmed that the gasket was good. We then took a look around the block and found a small crack on the top of one of the cyclinders. When you run your finger across it you can feel the crack and see it pretty well. As far as the engine, I am not sure if the 351 will bolt up to the tranny, but I am pretty positive that this is a 302 given the fact that the people that have been helping work on it owned it for many years.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-10-2015 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by Alaskan907 Alaskan907 wrote:

As far as the engine, I am not sure if the 351 will bolt up to the tranny, but I am pretty positive that this is a 302 given the fact that the people that have been helping work on it owned it for many years.

Yes, the trans will bolt up to the bell housing of a 351. I suggest you confirm the size of the engine since PO's have been wrong before!

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window