URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37514
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 2:20pm

Topic: help! fuel pump keeps going bad
Posted By: rkscpa
Subject: help! fuel pump keeps going bad
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 5:38pm
2003 SN 350 chec PCM 330 hp
i have been having probs with the eng going into limp mode
it will slowly accelerate to 2400 rpm but once it hits 2500 it will go to limp mode until i go back to idle, then it will work again but only up to 2400 rpm
it will not accelerate fast at all
i changed the low pressure fuel pump [PCM # RA080032A] and that seemed to fix the prob for 1 year, then it would go out again, sometimes it's preceded by a 20 a fuse blowing on the right back side of the eng.   
the fourth year the pump only worked for a 2 days before the symptoms occurred.

i assume its the low pressure pump going out that causes the eng to go to limp mode but now i need to know what is causing the fuel pump to go out

i put in an in-line filter before the low pressure fuel pump,

help !!!!

thanks

-------------
Rick

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 5:43pm
Rick,
Welcome to CCfan. Our normal request is for pictures. We'd love to see some.

Are you using PCM OEM pump or an offshore from say Autozone? Have you ever changed the relay?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 5:55pm
I had one LP Pump go out and it did not go in to limp mode, just would not run?? What you are calling a fuse, do you mean the relay and how many times has that gone bad??
My Excal goes thru dist caps pretty quickly, when is the last time yours was replaced?
When was the FCC filter last replaced??
Have you inspected the screen on the old LP Pumps, are they full of debris??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 7:16pm
this has something to do w the LP pump. i've replaced 4, each time it ran fine afterward but for just 1 yr,

there is a 20 a mini fuse that controls the fuel system, it seems to be prelude to the LP pump going out

thx for your reply

-------------
Rick

Posted By: TRBenj
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 7:29pm
Todd's 04 would do the limp mode thing... Replaced both pumps before he diagnosed it as a clogged fuel filter. It looked good but was plugged. I'd start there! I'd also remove the extra filter that you added... Shouldn't be necessary.

Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 7:29pm
PCM # RA080032A
i uploaded a pic but see no way to make it an avatar?
the relay sounds like a good clue, could it cause the pump to go out? where would it likely be located?
thanks

-------------
Rick

Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 10:17pm
Ben, i replaced the HP fuel cell and filter before. that did not help so i replaced the LP pump and that fixed it for 1 yr. the in line filter is before the LP pump, to protect it, i'll check the HP fuel cell filter to see what it looks like, but replacing the LP pump fixed the prob, boat ran perfect under full load, but only for 2 days, then it went into limp mode midway thru a ski set.   i'm thinking there's an electrical surge and sometimes it blows the 20 a fuse and sometimes it blows the pump, i dont have the ability to fully test the LP pump off the boat,
thanks

-------------
Rick

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 11:05pm
Just check to make sure you don't already have a filter like this under the floor section behind the motor box:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fuelfilter-inline.aspx" rel="nofollow - http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fuelfilter-inline.aspx

Posted By: jhersey29
Date Posted: October-13-2015 at 11:14pm
Also also check on top of the gas tank for an inline filter. Follow the entire fuel line. You never know what has been done. How about taking out the check valve and cleaning it up? Bot sure I you have one but sure sounds like something is burning up your pump.

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:21pm
will do, makes sense they would have one but if it were clogged then the boat still would not run after i replace the LP pump
thx

-------------
Rick

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:27pm
jhersey, yes, i'll ck the whole line, but the boat was brand new, i got it from Bruce and Toni Neville. i would hope that the factory didn't put a filter where you couldn't see it, but there are some fuses hidden under the dash.
where is the check valve?
yeah i think it's electrical but i want to explore every option, hoping someone has seen this before. one thing i didn't do was to listen or feel the LP pump to see how it runs and then i could compare to when the engine isn't working
thx

-------------
Rick

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:28pm
If the fuel filter were partially clogged, the boat would still run but would put a helluva load on the poor fuel pump until it died an untimely death.

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 1:33pm
Same would be possible for a partially plugged anti siphon valve (elbow at top of tank) as Jhersey references above.

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 11:22pm
On top of the tank are 5 holes. The big one is the hose to the fill the boat with gas, 1 small line to the breather(check this is not clogged would cause a vacuum issue in the tank), 1 for the fuel level gauge that has wires, 1 3/8" id I think for the return from the fuel cell, and 1 3/8 id hose to the fuel cell. The feed to the fuel cell has a elbow that has a longer length than the return. No glasses so hoped I typed this reasonably correct.

Date Posted: October-14-2015 at 11:29pm
Another tip to help understand. The anti siphon valve is not to prevent someone from stealing or siphoning your gas. It is a safety mechanism to prevent gas from siphoning into your bilge and blowing you and the boat to bits.

Date Posted: October-15-2015 at 12:14am
JHERSH
good tips, i'll check those out,
thanks

-------------
Rick

Date Posted: October-26-2015 at 5:16pm
boat is at the dealer, i'll update when i get it back, thanks for the tips, i asked the tech if there were any more filters and he said no but i would think they would have one before the LP pump

-------------
Rick

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:29pm
I think your time and money would be better spent entirely removing and inspecting the suction side of the fuel system instead of throwing new pumps at it every year. They should last much, much longer.

Print Page | Close Window