Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38257
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 12:26pm

Topic: HELP! 2008 SN196 Warning Light
Posted By: 303skier
Subject: HELP! 2008 SN196 Warning Light
Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 4:38am
Warning light on my 2008 SN 196 with 343 PCM Excalibur keeps coming on intermittently. Noticed it when I pulled a skier, the light on the dash came on almost to the end of the course. Pulled back on throttle and it goes off. Doesn't come on while in idle. This keeps happening and again only comes on after set speed and almost to the end of the pass/course. Tried driving without a skier and spinning at end of lake light stays on until I pull back on the throttle. I watched the thermostat and it never goes over 160 degrees. Oil pressure is at about 70-80 PSI. Pulled open doghouse and manifolds aren't extremely hot, hoses feel cold. Transmission oil smells fine, no burnt smell. I just replaced the thermostat, impeller and spark plugs. Boat runs strong and has no hesitations.

Any ideas?

Replies:
Posted By: quinner
Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 10:39am
Do you have the digital gauges with the small display (limited or team edition)??
If so it should be indicating what the issue is in that display like "low voltage" or whatever the issue is while blinking red in that display.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 11:13am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Do you have the digital gauges with the small display (limited or team edition)??
If so it should be indicating what the issue is in that display like "low voltage" or whatever the issue is while blinking red in that display.

My boat only has the analog gauges, no LCD besides hours window. Also to clarify this is the big red light between the gauges on the dash. Check engine light.

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 2:45pm
All trim levels have the round Red check engine light. Do you have a Signature edition with a keyed ignition?? If so then you will not have the separate displays as previously noted.

Alarm condition is triggered by low oil pressure, high eng temp, low voltage
also if a malfunction with the knock sensor, manifold pressure sensor (MAP), manifold temp sensor, an ignition fault or throttle position sensor,
Was block drained for winterizing? Was knock sensor reinstalled correctly with NO Teflon tape and torqued to proper spec??

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1143" rel="nofollow - Mi Bowt

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 2:53pm

All trim levels have the round Red check engine light. Do you have a Signature edition with a keyed ignition?? If so then you will not have the separate displays as previously noted.

Alarm condition is triggered by low oil pressure, high eng temp, low voltage
also if a malfunction with the knock sensor, manifold pressure sensor (MAP), manifold temp sensor, an ignition fault or throttle position sensor,
Was block drained for winterizing? Was knock sensor reinstalled correctly with NO Teflon tape and torqued to proper spec??

No keypad on this boat, old fashion turn key. I'm not sure the alarm is working as I don't hear anything when I turn the ignition on? And I also don't hear anything when the light goes on while running the boat.

I had it winterized and went through everything recently and made sure all the plugs were tight. I did put Teflon on both Knock sensors, maybe that is causing it?? I thought I put the boat in the water before putting the Teflon on but could be wrong?

Posted By: kapla
Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 2:56pm
Looks like the Teflon is the culprit!

-------------
<a href="">1992 ski nautique

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:04pm
Is this a common issue?

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:14pm
Lose the tape and run it. When reinstalling the sensors if you do not have a torque wrench then just snug them up, IIRC 20ft lbs is what spec is, which is not much, so don't overtighten.

Your boat is a Signature Edition BTW.

-------------

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 3:42pm

Lose the tape and run it. When reinstalling the sensors if you do not have a torque wrench then just snug them up, IIRC 20ft lbs is what spec is, which is not much, so don't overtighten.

Your boat is a Signature Edition BTW.

Thanks, I will take the tape off and see what happens.

Also thanks for the boat trim level.

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 4:01pm
Jarrus,
Just to fill you in on what's already been said about the Teflon tape, the engine block is the main electrical ground of the boat, and is the ground source for any sensor or sender screwed into it.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jarrus,
Just to fill you in on what's already been said about the Teflon tape, the is the main electrical ground of the boat, and is the ground source for any sensor or sender screwed into it.

@8122pbrainard Peter - So what could be happening is the Teflon is not allowing the knock sensors to be grounding and causing the code to be thrown?

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-14-2016 at 4:42pm
Jarrus,
Yes, the block being the ground the circuit is not complete or there's extra resistance with the tape.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window