Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38285
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 12:34pm

Topic: distributor
Posted By: dustyb
Subject: distributor
Date Posted: March-19-2016 at 12:46pm
does anyone make a HEI style distributor for reverse rotation engines? I bought a automotive style and was planning on swapping out the gear but the shaft it totally different and is in 2 pieces. Is there an automotive style that will accept the reverse rotation gear?

Replies:
Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: March-19-2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by dustyb dustyb wrote:

does anyone make a HEI style distributor for reverse rotation engines? I bought a automotive style and was planning on swapping out the gear but the shaft it totally different and is in 2 pieces. Is there an automotive style that will accept the reverse rotation gear?

Dusty,
http://performancedistributors.com/product/marine-dui-distributors/" rel="nofollow - I feel for your own protection that you should be looking at a ignition rated marine rather than an automotive.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: dustyb
Date Posted: March-19-2016 at 2:42pm
just curious whats the difference between the 2 other than one being 460$ vs 50$ for automotive. That's a HUGE price difference. I seen on the fourm at one point where guys were swaping the gears and running a automotive style but idk what distributor they were using. My distributor is worn out and looking for a replacement with electronic ignition.

Date Posted: March-19-2016 at 2:54pm
Dusty,
I feel you are mistaken regarding members swapping gears on automotive distributors for their engines. They are swapping for RR rotation engines. I'm not sure which prices you are looking at but the major difference with a marine is the ignition protection. You sure don't want to create a potential hazard! Since you are looking at a low cost option, just rebuild your old distributor.   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Hollywood
Date Posted: March-21-2016 at 11:57am
gas fumes, spark, enclosed area, kaboom

please don't put an automotive distributor in your boat

Date Posted: March-22-2016 at 4:50pm
I wonder if the Abbeville SC fire dept. has a marine unit?   

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: March-22-2016 at 5:52pm
Don't call the Fire Department yet. Davis Performance DUI Marine Distributors are available with reverse rotation gears. Simple two wire hook-up: one 12-V and one for the tachometer. It's as close to plug and play as they come in the distributor world.

Steve

Date Posted: March-22-2016 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Mountain Man Mountain Man wrote:

Don't call the Fire Department yet. Davis Performance DUI Marine Distributors are available with reverse rotation gears. Simple two wire hook-up: one 12-V and one for the tachometer. It's as close to plug and play as they come in the distributor world.

Steve

Steve,
It's this statement that is of concern:
Originally posted by dustyb dustyb wrote:

I bought a automotive style and was planning on swapping out the gear

-------------

54 Atom

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: Mountain Man
Date Posted: March-23-2016 at 11:33am
Oh I get it Pete! Fiberglass and gasoline burn real good and the source of ignition is a spark from anywhere........aka automotive components that cost less. I was just trying to answer the first question he asked.

Is it Friday yet - long week and I'm ready to hit the water.

Steve

Print Page | Close Window