Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38334
Printed Date: October-05-2024 at 6:46pm

Topic: 1967 Mustang 298 Ford Rebuild
Posted By: Southskier
Subject: 1967 Mustang 298 Ford Rebuild
Date Posted: March-29-2016 at 1:46pm
Hi,

I have a question to the Correct Craft community. I have an original 1967 Mustang with the 289 Ford engine that my father bought new. The boat ran great until the mid 80's and started having some blow back. Boat was stored for over 20+ years and I have gotten it back, had it painted, and was going to have the engine rebuilt, but had an issue with the engine builder when his business failed. I got the engine back, but I don't know what state he left it in, so I am going to assume that he didn't do much as it doesn't look to have been opened up or new gaskets, etc.

With that being said, What are the recommendations for a rebuild on a marine inboard as far as cost, etc? I have seen some 302 reverse rotation long/short blocks on Ebay, but would like to know what you guys have done in the restoration process.

I would really like to have a rebuild just the same as "dangerwil" and the blue Mustang that I have been reading about, but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks guys,, there is a lot more that I am looking for such as a windshield and misc items, but will post in the correct forum.

Sincerely,
Rob

[IMG]

Replies:
Date Posted: March-29-2016 at 2:51pm
Great.. 1st issue is get your engine numbers correct... 289,, not 298....lol

Posted By: Gary S
Date Posted: March-30-2016 at 12:48am
Being in the Carolina's I would think it would be easy to find an engine shop. Are you looking for someone to do the work or are you going to have someone do the machine work and assemble it yourself ? I know there have been a few who have dropped by who had or were going to buy a ready to go engine but have really had no follow up on their experience. Jasper and Rapido come to mind.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1711&sort=&pagenum=1&yrstart=1966&yrend=1970" rel="nofollow - 69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Date Posted: April-01-2016 at 12:23pm
If I could get someone to do the machine work, I can do the assembly. Just checking around to see what would work best. I had been looking at the long and short blocks online , but wanted to see what others have spent to get a good rebuild on their existing motors.

Thanks,
Rob

Print Page | Close Window