Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38572
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 4:15am

Topic: GT 40 slow acceleration
Posted By: pudgyskier
Subject: GT 40 slow acceleration
Date Posted: May-06-2016 at 5:31pm
Hello, we ave a 2002 ski nautique with the GT40. promo boat that we purchased in the fall of 2002.   It has performed absolutely flawlessly every year, it currently has 1400 hrs on it.
Every spring after startup I replace the fuel filter, check the strainer off the low pressure pump, every two years replace cap,rotor,and wires.   Now our issue:
Late last fall we started to experience slow acceleration out of the hole, changed fuel filter, checked screen this spring, another new filter, and fuel pressure is 40+ with a gauge.
It is not bad, but noticeable with 1-2 people in boat < 300# crew, pulling a 130-150 lb. skier.
it is really bad pulling 200 lb. skier with 500# crew and a full tank of fuel.
Once on plane, skier up, no issues at all, perfect pass times are dead on. WOT is fine, kids and lighter friends barefoot….
Issue still exists with perfect pass off / unplugged.
It starts perfectly, runs great, no sputter or hesitation, it just has 20-40% power loss out of the hole, depending on weight of skier and driver/ passengers.

If it is starving for fuel, would it sputter? I am ordering a new tube from hp pump to canister top today, even though it appears fine. any other suggestions?
Kids and wife don't mind that much, but me and my lard ass friend are drowning like we are behind a 85 hp outboard from the sixties!
Thanks for your thoughts….

Replies:
Posted By: Tmosely1
Date Posted: May-06-2016 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by pudgyskier pudgyskier wrote:

Kids and wife don't mind that much, but me and my lard ass friend are drowning like we are behind a 85 hp outboard from the sixties!
Thanks for your thoughts….

Now that brings up some memories.... That should be the quote of the day

Posted By: JayG80
Date Posted: May-08-2016 at 12:29am
I had the exact issues due to bad Centek muffler baffle. Does muffler have a rattle? Mine would pillow up or expand when goosing the throttle. Wife could slalom but it almost drowned me on starts.

Is the prop in perfect condition?

Also experienced a similar power loss due to a small hole in the 2.5" long hose that holds high pressure fuel pump inside the FCC. Now I replace that hose every time I change the filter.

-------------
2007 Ski
2002 Ski

Posted By: pudgyskier
Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 4:18pm
Okay, took my dremel and cut the top off the muffler, the inside baffle had broken loose from the top, and slid back, ( forced back from exhaust ?) to the point where there was only about one inch for the exhaust to flow.   I pulled the baffle forward, fiberglassed it into place, then fiberglassed it to the cover I had cut off, and fiberglassed the cover back on.
Boat runs awesome, acceleration is great, and top end is greatly improved. ( bare footing 3800 rpm = 38 mph )

Thanks JayG80

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 4:31pm
Gordon,
Thanks for the reply on what you found was the problem. What made you think about an exhaust restriction? Great you found it and it's back running normal.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Posted By: JayG80
Date Posted: September-16-2016 at 4:44pm
Yea, Glad to hear my solution worked.

Maybe worth a spot on Poor Man's GT40 Diagnosis @bri892001 ?

-------------
2007 Ski
2002 Ski

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-18-2016 at 12:20am
Definitely, I'll add this one when I get back to my home computer. I'll add a new column in the spreadsheet for the muffler fix as well.

Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: September-18-2016 at 9:00pm
I added this to the Poor Man's GT-40 Diagnosis thread:
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PID=515278&#515278" rel="nofollow - http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25584&PID=515278񽳎

Print Page | Close Window