Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38874
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 8:26am

Topic: 2000 gt40
Posted By: gregski
Subject: 2000 gt40
Date Posted: June-02-2016 at 5:19am
My 2000 gt40 started giving me trouble starting last summer. Sometimes it would start sometimes not. It progressively got worse and wouldn't start at all. I took out starter and had it tested. Sounded bad as it was tested but they said it was good. I got a new one anyway. Brought it home and installed it. I started it four times before going to bed. Got up tried to start an d no luck. Then changed starter solenoid , no luck again. I noticed the fuel pumps weren't priming. Installed new low presure fuel pump, no luck. Then changed out fuel relay and the ecc relay. No luck. Went back to solinoid and I had a wire backwards. Now I have pumps priming but no cranking, can't get starter to crank. As I push starter button I hear a click but no engagement or spinning. If I try to arc the starter or solinoid everything shuts down and I have to turn off batteries and turn batteries back on to get ignition hot again. I am suspecting now maybe the key pad but I don't know. Can anyone offer some advice, help. Can anyone tell me the signs of a key pad failing thanx Greg

Replies:
Posted By: fanofccfan
Date Posted: June-02-2016 at 11:10am
Have you tried the obvious? Battery pole cleaning and cable cleaning/inspection?

Posted By: Tim D
Date Posted: June-02-2016 at 9:24pm
Check the position of the neutral safety switch when the throttle stick is straight up.

-------------
Tim D

Posted By: lewy2001
Date Posted: June-02-2016 at 9:41pm
Greg you have swapped out an awful lot of parts without really confirming where there problem was to begin with. This can often lead to you ending up with multiple problems.

The first thing I would do is confirm you have the wiring to the power assist solenoid correct. This is the old style Ford starter solenoid bolted to the large plate at rear of engine (under the ECU and relays).

-------------
If you're going through hell, keep going

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=2999" rel="nofollow - 89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta

Posted By: tryathlete
Date Posted: June-02-2016 at 10:39pm
Good idea. Sometimes cables get loose or corroded inside the terminals too

Posted By: jschultz
Date Posted: July-06-2016 at 12:07pm
Here is one I found myself, the engine will shut down and no starter engagement. The cable by the rear of the engine by the water filter is getting corroded by just too much moisture. It had some green on the terminal so a little fine sandpaper got it back online. The other problem I am solving is getting too much fuel into the carburetor. It wasn't the carb but the fuel pump pushing fuel up the clear plastic line. It put a lot of gas into the oil this way, I have to change the oil after I found this out again. The fuel pump isn't rebuildable no parts are available for it. I new one should be the only cure since it was pretty calcified with all kinds of impurities on the screen side of the pump. The valves inside are getting too hard and have cracks as well has the diaphragm.

-------------
Joe Schultz

Print Page | Close Window