Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39209
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 8:32am

Topic: Starter 78' Ski Natique - Commander 351
Posted By: terryskis6
Subject: Starter 78' Ski Natique - Commander 351
Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 4:24pm
New to forum.   Starter is out on 1978' Ski Natique with 351 commander.

Does anyone know the proper style and part number.
Apparently not as common as others?
I am seeing discussions of Right hand rotation, nose depth, fly wheels, etc, but do not know what is correct.
I am hoping someone can provide some guidance.

I am need to find a replacement. I called Natiqueparts.com and they don't have a part.

Terry

-------------
TD

Replies:
Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 5:22pm
Hi Terry

Assuming your engine is reverse rotation you need a CCW rotating starter with a 2 &3/8 inch nose depth and you have a 157 tooth flywheel.

The old style starter which you probably have would have an ARCO part number of 70101. It's discontinued but can still be found at various places.

The new style gear reduction starter has an ARCO part number of 70201 and comes with a small wiring harness to make it work inplace of the original style.

These are CCW rotating and will spin a reverse rotation engine the right way.

You can also cross reference the ARCO part numbers to other brands.

Take a look at the ARCO catalog and they have a section explaining starter rotation for LH and RH (reverse rotation) engines.

Brace yourself because somebody named Pete will come on soon and ask what's wrong with yours? Can't you tear it apart and fix it yourself? and a few other questions. Just a little advance warning

Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:34pm
THANK YOU!

I wish I had the old one!   ...But a well intentioned brother removed it, took it to NAPA and came home with a starter,.... which he promptly broke the cast housing. That's where I step in to try to salvage.   In my opinion the original was not the problem, but was not here when the trouble shooting began, and now the starter is gone. So starting from scratch.   

Couple questions.   
What does CCW stand for?
Is it reasonable to assume I have a 157 tooth fly wheel?
Is a 157 larger or smaller than standard? or does this even make sense?

P/N 70201 should work.   Natiqueparts .com has one, but they thought it would not work on a Commander. Said it had to do with the fly wheel, but no more details.

From your post, I should order the 70201 with the kit and be happy.

Terry

-------------
TD

Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by terryskis6 terryskis6 wrote:

THANK YOU!

I wish I had the old one!   ...But a well intentioned brother removed it, took it to NAPA and came home with a starter,.... which he promptly broke the cast housing. That's where I step in to try to salvage.   In my opinion the original was not the problem, but was not here when the trouble shooting began, and now the starter is gone. So starting from scratch.   

Couple questions.   
What does CCW stand for?
Is it reasonable to assume I have a 157 tooth fly wheel?
Is a 157 larger or smaller than standard? or does this even make sense?

P/N 70201 should work.   Natiqueparts .com has one, but they thought it would not work on a Commander. Said it had to do with the fly wheel, but no more details.

From your post, I should order the 70201 with the kit and be happy.

Terry

CCW is counterclockwise which is what a reverse rotation 351 needs.

The 157 tooth flywheel is smaller than what you'd find on a 351w in a car or truck but it's what the marine 351's have and that's why you need a starter with a 2 &3/8 nose depth(due to bellhousing design).

Does your starter mount right under the #4 spark plug?

Let someone else chime in here like TR Benj or Gotta Ski but a couple of others with this engine had good luck with the numbers I gave earlier for a REVERSE ROTATION engine.

Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 7:34pm
Thank you! CCW & 157 teeth ...got it.   Thank you.   
Starter mounting is under drivers side of engine toward rear of engine & boat.   (Boat driver side rear).

Terry

-------------
TD

Date Posted: July-05-2016 at 8:19pm
Go for it

if you get the 70201, your wiring will need a little change at the solenoid on the back of the engine but the instructions and little harness should make it easy..................or you could always ask here

KenO

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-06-2016 at 8:11am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Terry
Brace yourself because somebody named Pete will come on soon and ask what's wrong with yours? Can't you tear it apart and fix it yourself? and a few other questions. Just a little advance warning
Originally posted by terryskis6 terryskis6 wrote:

THANK YOU!
I wish I had the old one!   ...But a well intentioned brother removed it, took it to NAPA and came home with a starter,.... which he promptly broke the cast housing. In my opinion the original was not the problem, but was not here when the trouble shooting began, and now the starter is gone. So starting from scratch In my opinion the original was not the problem, but was not here when the trouble shooting began, and now the starter is gone. So starting from scratch.   
Terry

Ken,
It seems I can't ask my typical question!
Terry,
The intent of my typical question is to prevent throwing parts at a problem without troubleshooting first. From your response it sounds like you didn't feel the starter was the problem and it's great you were doing some troubleshooting. Get the new starter and report back with what you find.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-06-2016 at 8:15am
You mention your "cast housing" being broke., I'm thinking you're talking about the nosepiece on the end of the starter

One thing you could do is swap the nosepiece for a good one pretty easily and cheaply too, so don't throw out your broken NAPA starter.

KenO

Edit Holy crap, Pete doesn't ask his question and I'm sounding rather "Peteish" telling you that you can replace the nosepiece pretty easily

Print Page | Close Window