Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39262
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 8:35am

Topic: pro tec troubleshoot
Posted By: jfergvt
Subject: pro tec troubleshoot
Date Posted: July-09-2016 at 9:59am
Hi,
I am one of those with the protec throttle body injection system. This system is newish to me and was wondering if anyone had info on troubleshooting or could direct me to previous posts on it.

Got a '94 SN this year (huge step up from my Malibu!) When I got it it came with a spare throttle body with parts. Had to change out a couple injectors to get them all spraying but then ran awesome. Last 2 times at the lake on cold start cranks but no fuel out of injectors. if I prime the intake manifold with fuel or starting fluid it fires right up and then continues to run / stop and re-start without a problem on the lake.

I know that the writing is on the wall so I have been studying the posts about conversion. Just would like to fix it if possible for now.

Thanks,
Jeff

Replies:
Posted By: KRoundy
Date Posted: July-09-2016 at 11:54am
Sounds like a fuel issue, rather than a spark problem. Have you checked the fuel pump? I know that Dreaming has a '94 machine and has replaced his system with a carb so he might have some suggestions for you.

-------------
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow

Posted By: jfergvt
Date Posted: July-09-2016 at 12:01pm
I am suspicious of the fuel pump. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge but had my son turn on the key while pushing in the schrader valve and fuel spray out at a fairly good rate. The fuel pump does whine when I turn on the key as it primes everything. Not sure of that means it is failing. Do you know what the signs of a failing pump are?

Thanks

Posted By: Dreaming
Date Posted: July-10-2016 at 3:40am
Mine was failed when I bought my boat,   the pump worked from a pumping fuel standpoint, but wouldn't develop any pressure.   you need to pick up a fuel pressure guage and attach it to the schraeder valve to see what your pressure is.    there are 2 pumps on the system, a low pressure pump and a high pressure pump.   The Low pressure pump primes the system with a high flow, the high pressure pump raises the pressure so that the injectors will work.   I agree with Kevin that this sounds like a fuel issue.   There is a bit of information in the reference section about the system, but it's really limited.    the TBI Is a modified Holley Pro-Jection module, so finding info on the Projection is likely your best bet as far as troubleshooting goes.   Fuel pressure at the rail should be near 40PSI

Print Page | Close Window