Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39478
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:30am

Topic: still wont start
Posted By: brettmac
Subject: still wont start
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:22am
88 Dominique still wont start. I have been off site for awhile but have tried everything. Replaced the starter, plugs, points, condenser, battery, cap and rotar. I have even swapped the exhaust manifolds as we were getting water on the back two plugs. Nothing but a few near starts. Every one of my boating buddies with varying degrees of machanical ability are stumped. What are we missing? Anything would be appreciated. Thx. Brett

Replies:
Posted By: JoeinNY
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:44am
Does it have compression?   Does it have spark? Does it have fuel? Is the new starter spinning the engine in the proper direction? Is the firing order correct?   Is the timing correct?

If all else fails you are a 3 hour drive from Auburn NY... stop by, if it can be started Ill get it started.

-------------
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=1477 - 1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs - Holeshot Video

Posted By: phatsat67
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:02pm
Take her down to Joe's

3 hours is a minimal investment to get a boat running again.

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Take her down to Joe's.

I heard he has a large assortment of parts also

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Does it have compression?   Does it have spark? Does it have fuel? Is the new starter spinning the engine in the proper direction? Is the firing order correct?   Is the timing correct?   

Plus 1
Where did you get the starter? I have a funny feeling!! Did it run before you started throwing all the parts at it?

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 1:34pm
It has 150-170 on all but one cylinder which is at 75. Weak spark, and I'm pulling fresh gas from a can. I got the new starter from a marina in Seattle. It ran great all last summer and ran for the last time during winterization. Hasent started since.

Posted By: KENO
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 9:30pm
URL] http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=38938&KW=&title=wont-start" rel="nofollow - won't start

Here's a link to round one of this issue back in June.

After reading it again and reading this latest thread, I can't seem to find answers to questions like

What is the firing order you're verifying?

When was the starter replaced and does the engine rotate the right way now

What made it appear that the engine was flooding?

Probably a few others too, but you should get the point

People can only try to help so much and it would be a lot easier to do that if you answer the questions that they're asking.

Right now, a 3 hour tour down to see Joe sounds like a bargain to me.

Posted By: GlassSeeker
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 9:47pm
Starter changed? Wrong rotation?...she won't start backwards

-------------
This is the life

Posted By: SNobsessed
Date Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:14pm
If he is getting compression, it's turning right way.

Sounds like weak spark. Maybe dizzy isn't getting a good ground.

-------------
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-27-2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

If he is getting compression, it's turning right way.

Sounds like weak spark. Maybe dizzy isn't getting a good ground.

I kinda think he has a spark issue too but I also have to disagree with your compression statement.

If the engine is rotating backwards it won't start but it will still have the same compression measured with a gauge.

The reason I say this is because being a little inquisitive and according to my wife, a little off my rocker, I headed outside today and changed my starter for another one that would rotate the engine backwards and took compression readings and they were the same.

I wasn't sure what the results would be, but there's only one way to find out and I did.

Put the other starter back in and the engine started just fine once I remembered to plug the coil wire back in......now I need to put the starter back in the plow truck sometime.

KenO

Posted By: gun-driver
Date Posted: July-28-2016 at 12:38am
Now that's funny!!! But now we know for sure

Date Posted: July-28-2016 at 2:05am
& I thought I was obsessed . . .

Thanks for the research.

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:45am
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

& I thought I was obsessed . . .

Thanks for the research.

Anytime, it was fun except for the coil wire getting left off and my wife casually saying "what's that wire hanging there?"

Got any more research I could do?

Haven't seen any more from Brett on here

He did mention replacing manifolds because of some water in the back 2 cylinders which I think lends some credence to the wrong rotation starter idea since the exhaust side of things is now the intake if it's turning backwards..

Don't really know the chronological order of things though. Somewhere along the way he mentioned that it started momentarily though which would never happen rotating backwards.

Brent, if you're out there, pop the distributor cap and see which direction the rotor is turning when you try to start it

The rotor should be turning counterclockwise.

Date Posted: July-28-2016 at 6:15pm
You guys are amazing. Never would have dreamed someone would run a test like that for a total stranger. Very impressed. Unfortunately I'm buried in a total bathroom remodel and havent had a chance to work on some of these ideas, like the ground in dizzy etc. It never really did start just a momentary cough. Im starting to think i put the wrong starter on there as she was runnung last year. Ill get on it and report back, Thanks to all on this site. Regards, Brett

Date Posted: July-28-2016 at 8:14pm
Don't forget to thank SNobsessed for getting me curious enough to do the little test. It's CCF so it's a team effort.

I think I just thanked him for ya

Check that rotor rotation and that will let you know if the starter is the right one and It'll take that right out of the equation or you'll have found the problem if it's going in the wrong direction.

KenO

Date Posted: July-29-2016 at 10:31am
Just a lucky bad guess

-------------

Ben Franklin

Date Posted: August-09-2016 at 10:01am
Well dont i feel like an ass. Finally got into the boat and lo and behold, the rotor is turning clockwise. Got the wrong starter in there. Luckily I had the original rebuild and am running to grab it this morning. Wasted some time and money, but glad that you all are her to help. Thanks to all CCF members for the great advice and encouragement. Will report later today with the results. Hopefully i will get to go boating this sumer after all. Regards Brett.

Date Posted: August-10-2016 at 9:53am
Boat is running. Thanks again for everyones help. You guys rock!

Posted By: 8122pbrainard
Date Posted: August-10-2016 at 9:58am
Brett,
How did you end up getting the wrong starter from the marina in Seattle when you're in NY? Internet? Getting the wrong rotation is typical when shopping Autozone!

Great you got it running.

-------------
/diaries/details.asp?ID=1622" rel="nofollow -

54 Atom

/diaries/details.asp?ID=2179" rel="nofollow - 77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Print Page | Close Window