Forum Name: Engine Repair
Forum Discription: Engine problems and solutions
URL: http://www.CorrectCraftFan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39500
Printed Date: October-07-2024 at 6:25am

Topic: Fuel issue?
Posted By: rolleronariver
Subject: Fuel issue?
Date Posted: July-27-2016 at 4:13pm
I saw where someone else was having the same issue as me a while back but haven't been able to find a for sure solution. I have a 92 Sport Nautique. It has the 351 engine with the holly carb (like usual). The boat runs and starts great when i first launch it. In fact, it runs good almost all of the time. However, since it has gotten hot outside, I have started having an issue.

If I turn my boat off for a few minutes while switching skiers or getting the trailer backed in it'll start back up no problem. But, if I leave it off for about 30-45 minutes then it may or may not start. If it does start when I hit the gas it takes off great but then just dies. Either way, I have to use starter fluid to get it to start back up and then it usually runs fine til I turn it off for a while again.

I'm just wondering if it is vapor locking since it's sitting there not running and all of that heat is in the engine cage? I have started using my blower when I'm going to be there for a while and that seems to help but I'm still at a loss and getting frustrated. I have tuned the carb with a vacuum gauge and the fact that when it's running, it runs good makes me think that the carb should be good. However, I might be wrong. I'm looking for ideas.

-------------
92 Sport nautique

Replies:
Posted By: Bri892001
Date Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:52pm
Your first and easiest check will be to see if you're getting fuel leakage into your carb's boosters after shutdown.

Posted By: rolleronariver
Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by Bri892001 Bri892001 wrote:

Your first and easiest check will be to see if you're getting fuel leakage into your carb's boosters after shutdown.

How is the best way to check that. There's no fuel leaking anywhere.

We went out this weekend and it ran good but the temps were in the low 80's here. It seems like it does it way more often when the temps are in the mid to upper 90's. The engine temp was in the 160-175 range regardless of the outside temps.

-------------
92 Sport nautique

Posted By: GottaSki
Date Posted: August-01-2016 at 12:59pm
Not externally, internally, take off the flame arrestor and observe the boosters. Should be dripless both during idle, and after shutdown. Soemtimes takes a few minutes to observe.

-------------
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole

Print Page | Close Window